PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a bad wheel bearing on the rear of my 15 ranger 900 and the now i have play in the bearing hub assembly. It looks like the bearing is sloppy and the inner race and end of the axle are both moving. I may remove it tomorrow for a closer look. Has anyone had experience where the hub has become worn where it passes through the bearing. The fronts are nice and snug .The rears are sloppy.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I believe front and rear are 2 different size bearings, fronts are 44mm backs are 40, you didn't put wrong size in back did you? I only mention that cause I bought greasers for my machine and it come with a 44 for front and 40 for back, only a suggestion to look at

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
At 8000 miles I've had hubs worn both front and rear if I remember hubs are $110.00 without studs . by the time I've realized the bearing was bad the hub was worn on inner bearing surface .

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I rebuilt one and didn't put the washers on right, 2wks later I replace them again along with the hub, now I also replace the washers. Polaris does have HD bearings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was wabbly before i took the bearing out but it was obvious it was the bearing that was bad.I replaced it with an aftermarket the same size as the parts diagram online stated as well as it was a match to the one I removed which were also aftermarket from the dealer.The bike had less than 3000 miles on it.
I will check something out that came to me late last night and get back to you with my findings

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rebuilt one and didn't put the washers on right, 2wks later I replace them again along with the hub, now I also replace the washers. Polaris does have HD bearings.
This may be my problem.Someone put this together with plain flat washers and thus there is no compression against the hub .Im going to swap the washers from another wheel and try it and regardless get some new "cone washers"

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yeah, the washers put a preload on the bearing so it doesn't spin in the hub. When I did this a long time ago, didn't catch the washers till the second one, had a 50/50 chance I did the first one right.......should have known. have these a lot on my heavy equipment and they tell you to replace every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I swapped hubs from side to side and the the one i though may be wore was fine in the other bearing and axle. The previous owner had a different axle in the left rear and when assembled it was sticking through the hub to far .What I did was take several thousands maybe even 1/32" inch of the end of the axle where the spines stopped on the end facing out. I did so with a grinder and cut off wheel which is all I had.I then installed it with the flat washers(just for giggles) and the wobble was gone.I then installed two new cone washers and torqued it and checked it again and all is good. This axle was a different color than the others so I will assume it was an aftermarket and the splined portion was a tad to long or it fit in the inner race of the bearing on the backside too far allowing the splines to protrude through the hub .I hope you understand what I am saying. All the other axles with nuts removed and viewd from the top had the splined portion of the axle recessed into the hub.The one acting up had the splined portion of the axle protruding out past the hub.I shortened this axle splines so it too would be recessed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the washers put a preload on the bearing so it doesn't spin in the hub. When I did this a long time ago, didn't catch the washers till the second one, had a 50/50 chance I did the first one right.......should have known. have these a lot on my heavy equipment and they tell you to replace every time.
I can see that because when you reuse them they are pretty much Flat.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
In this photo you can see my bearing greaser and white packs contain new axle washers. The price is crazy at the dealer. A couple yrs ago I found a dealer out west that had them for a buck apiece instead of $8. , so I bought the 12 he had in inventory.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In this photo you can see my bearing greaser and white packs contain new axle washers. The price is crazy at the dealer. A couple yrs ago I found a dealer out west that had them for a buck apiece instead of $8. , so I bought the 12 he had in inventory.
I paid 8.00 each as well. Im sure i can source them elsewhere like fastenall. Maybe i will look into that. I have the similar greasers for front and rear. Be carful not to blow out the seal. I may have done that in the bearing that was bad. It was not very old and not many hrs or miles on the bearings. I only use the bike for a bit of fishing and hunting or a short ride to my neighbors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mcmaster carr would have those washers and be inexpensive .I looked quickly and they have them but i would have to measure the oem ones.I use to get some items from them and have it shipped to my buddy in maine and pick it up when visiting.I live in Canada across the border from maine.We have fastenall too which i used in the past.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think when I first used the bearing greasers I had no idea about replacing the washers each time as I was asking about torqueing the axle nuts. And Greg set me straight about replacing them each time. I was at the dealer I use a short time later to get some $8. washers and know the mechanic that has been there 30 yrs. I asked him about replacing the washers each time ? He said after changing the wheel bearings he justs puts the used washers back on, he never replaces them. So. I've never had a bearing problem, I grease them and put on a new washer and good for another year.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've never replaced those washers on my 800. I've had them off a few time to change wheel bearings and replacing cv boots. It has around 8000 miles on it. Last time I had the hubs off they were fine. I always liberally grease everything when I put it together. The HL axles I have on the rear don't use those washers, they have a solid spacer about 3/8" thick. I don't see how it could matter much as tight as the axle nut is. I think most likely the problem occurs when the wheel bearing starts to seize and the hub spins against it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Y'all got me worried now, I greased the bearings on my 20 crew and didn't replace any washer????

·
Registered
889 Posts
Were they still cone shaped when you put them back on? If so, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I find claims of a crowned washer having any impact on a splined hub s plined axle press fit bearing . Unless the inner race is restricted.,

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks to me about the only way to damage the hub is for it to spin against the wheel bearing inner race for what ever reason.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts