PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I didn't look , but don't remember a crown, y'all are talking about the washer behind axle nut correct,
Nothing feels sloppy

·
Registered
914 Posts
I didn't look , but don't remember a crown, y'all are talking about the washer behind axle nut correct,
Nothing feels sloppy
It's not much of a crown but you can see it. Yes it's behind the axle nut. My old 800 has 2 cone washers

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
No, it's not much of a crown but along with that crown and the proper torque it locks that inner race so the bearing functions correctly by not allowing the hub to spin where it shouldn't. You'll can do what you want but I did it wrong once and it cost me dearly, I needed my ranger working and it wasn't, air freight was more then the hub but that's a story for another day.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
OK... I could be wrong ...one time I thought I was but I was wrong about that ... i just can't figure out what possible difference a washer OF ANY KIND.SHAPE....OR FORM ...is going to make when you are torquing THEM FLAT with 70 -110 + foot pounds. I have spindle washers that are 14 years old on Rangers with no premature bearing problems.. What I do know is that the hubs on Rangers go to hell in a handbasket and a new wheel bearing will not stop the wobble..Only a new or low mileage hub... And new bearings need to be pressed.....not beaten .

Reactions: BPS and gmck154x4

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
And another thing.... POCO needs money ..... They would tell you you need to replace the F'n steering wheel every year if they thought they could get away with it. ..... Used POCO bolts with BLUE locktite is fine is most cases.. Headbolts I would do new....

Reactions: BPS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Similar to all forums we all have different opinions and have to draw them from our own experiences.As far as the washers go they are cone shaped when new fore sure and they lose that when torqued a few times from my experience. If you look the washers up on Mcmaster carr's a site which I find very informative for fasteners you will see what application they are used in and why they are sometimes doubled up. I think you can get away with reusing them a few times however if I had easy access to them like my American friends I would replace one or both every time I replaced a bearing. I'm new to the sxs game but have been working on many other mechanical items all my life and have seen these cone washers used in other applications and do not doubt their effectiveness.
I figure if you grease the bearings regularly they should last a long time as the water ir purged out.I suspect the hub spinning in the bearing would be more prone to happen in colder climates where the bearing heats up, snow and water gets in them and freezes and then the hub turns in the bearing.I have seen this happen in snowmobile drive sytems and suspensions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I agree that it could be a money grab for the washers at 8 bucks each also .That is why i would source them elsewhere.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Guess I'll tear mine back down and look, cone faces in toward axle I guess?, All 4 axles like this?

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
i would not. Yes Cone to the inside...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I replace them because I want to, and I get mine for a little less then $8 per wheel. I doubt you could ever take the cone completely out of them, but maybe the reason hubs go to hell in a handbasket is not using new washers.....:unsure:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Guess I'll tear mine back down and look, cone faces in toward axle I guess?, All 4 axles like this?
All you need to do is take off the plastic center caps, remove the cotter pin and start the nut and then jack it up a bit and remove the nut check the washers and reinstall the washers nut , lower enough so the wheel does not spin or use a block or chock and torque the nuts and install pin and cap.You may not see any cone or crown to the old washers its hard to see.new ones you can see np.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I replace them because I want to, and I get mine for a little less then $8 per wheel. I doubt you could ever take the cone completely out of them, but maybe the reason hubs go to hell in a handbasket is not using new washers.....:unsure:
No harm in that.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well tore mine back down today, had 2 right and 2 on backwards, torqued everything according to book, back axles 110, front axles 70, lug nuts 100, maybe it won't fall apart😁, so much work in just greaseing bearings

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well tore mine back down today, had 2 right and 2 on backwards, torqued everything according to book, back axles 110, front axles 70, lug nuts 100, maybe it won't fall apart😁, so much work in just greaseing bearings
You are like me.I would have had to check to be sure also if had not have know.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It was tareing my nerves up🤣
I'm so bad about second guessing myself I have gotten to where I take pictures of things as I am putting back together no matter what it is. This way I can go back and reassure myself I did everything correctly. My wife says I have OCD whatever that is. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts