PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually tried hunting with the new XP 900? Any pics?

I ask cause I currently own a 2007 ranger 700 and am looking at a new machine. The ranger works fine but it isn't exactly "fun" when not in work mode.

I would be equipping the new unit with a full cab and doors, probably canvas, with glass windshield, heater, etc.

So the break down is probably 50/50 hunting/sport riding.

I'll leave the question generic but would the rzr xp 900 fit the bill, or fall short in the long run.

Thanks in advance.
Tree

·
Registered
497 Posts
I may not be the most qualified to answer this but from everything I have read... if you want to have both fun and hunt then the RZR S is the best option. I have heard many people say the XP 900 is no good in the woods and doesn't handle the hunting terrain well.

Just my .02

·
Registered
596 Posts
You can hunt just as well with a 900 as you can 700. The only issue is the 900 is 4 in wider than the 700XP (with factory) tires and wheels. Can you mount a gun rack and put a deer in the back? Sure you can. Can you run down the deer? Sure you can.

The 700 XP Ranger and the RZR 900 XP are two totally different machines, made for totally different applications. You can hunt with a 900 and you can hit the dunes with the 700, but that is not what they were made for.

It did not take me too long to figure out that I can not have the best of everything in one machine. I have my 09 700XP for hunting and working. I have my 11 900XP for the play times. I have taken the 900 to check deer cams and such. But I can't carry all the trimming tools and fertilizer and spreader and stands in the 900. On the same note, I can run 78 mph and take whoops at 40 mph and climb sand hills like a rail with the 700.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xp 900

Great reply Scott, and I also think you have hit my dilemma square in the face.

I like the sporty riding(rzr) but love the utility of the ranger, problem is the ranger is ubber boring :( , my riding is mostly old logging roads and the only real time I get tight is when i retrieve and animal. So i probably could find a suitable route to the game for the width issue.

I suppose it would be an option to keep the ranger as it is fully decked out, also I would never recover the costs that have went into it in accessories.

I suppose I would like to hear from guys who have USED the 900xp to hunt and give me a non bias opinion, meaning if it truly stunk, then say so/ or if it was good say that too. I should also note that pulling a wheelie leaving camp does not make it an awesome hunting buggy, lol however fun.

Give me the pros and cons

Thanks again
Tree

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
addition

I suppose I should add that currently the RZR S is not an option, meaning if I'm gonna bite the bullet it will be to the xp, other wise i will forget the idea.

Tree

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The 900XP rides and handles just fine in the woods or any other terrain but for hunting the Ranger is my choice , room, storage and overall confront. The power difference, quietness , between the 800 XP and the 700 is like night and day if I were you instead of a 900 XP go test drive the new 800 XP...my three cents worth

·
Registered
596 Posts
I did use my 900 for deer recovery during out anual youth hunt. It worked very well. I took some conduit and put in the lock and ride holes to keep the deer from falling out. My son had my 700 with the tracking dog. We would find the deer and I would take it back to camp while he went on another tracking job. (Kids generally aim center mass), that leads to a tracking job.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd considering it a "hunting vehicle", but I can guarantee you that mine will be getting some blood on it next fall. 8) :lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 900 is fast enough to run down & pull a ruffed grouse out or the air.... :twisted: I feel like chicken tonight!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
It's fast enough that turkeys have an EXTREMELY hard time getting out of the trail quick enough to prevent becoming dinner. :lol:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I must say I completely changed my mind about the 900 not being a good vehicle for hunting. Before we decided to buy one, I honestly thought the RZR-S was the only way to go based on all the reviews I had read. After having the 900 out this year, I have been very impressed with how well it had done on the ranch. It has handled everything we have thrown at it and then some.

I guess this just reminds me not to judge something until you've actually tried it...

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I haven't hauled a deer out of the woods with mine yet, but that shall happen in about 2 weeks. 8) :wink: :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use mine for hunting as well. I put the EMP 2" receiver hitch on to accomodate my gamble pole w/swivel top and hand winch. It works great and turns my XP 900 into a great hunting tool. I just get them close enough to the RZR to get the 30 ft cable to them, hook um up to the gamble, use the crank winch to get them to the RZR and the up in the air, swivel it around and lower them into the bed. It's great for my Dad who likes to hunt by himself during the week. Makes loading them up and getting them out of the woods an easy chore. It also makes cleaning them a breeze. Not to mention, it gives you mobility when doing so. Here's a pic of the "old man" with the attachment on his truck with a "meat" kill.

If anyone is interested, I picked this up two years ago at an Academy Sports store in LA for about $160. It is rated for 500 lbs. However, it would be simple to build for anyone that can weld.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hunted with it all weekend. Works great as a dual purpose bike!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine is a RZR XP 4 seater. Since we now have about 2 ft of snow in my hunting area & I can barely get around with 30" tires & a 5" lift, pulling a trailer or sled is out of the question.
Might be time to order those tracks?

I plan on cutting my moose into pieces (1/4s might be too big) & putting it in the back seat :shock: (seats removed of course). Should be no wose than 2 fat passengers.... :lol:
I have an Antlerless Moose draw this year & have seen nothing but bulls.... Seems to be they way.
My wife & I are heading out until the end of the week, hopefully I have some pictures to share.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts