PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I was hearing a bad "tinging" noise for my Ranger yesterday. After process of elimination I found it was my rear U Joint on the prop shaft! Rather than ordering online can anyone help me out with a Napa, O'Riley, or autozone part number? The Polaris part number is 2202015. I think the Napa # is 338 but wanna be positive! And if I'm correct the front and rear u joints are the same. Also... if there is one I can grease would that be better. While my prop shaft is out I plan on changing the front u joint too. It has a little slop in it!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I the only one on here that has had a bad u joint?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I haven't replaced the back ones yet on my 2009, but I have the front. I think the NAPA 338 fits both front and rear drive shafts. The 338's have grease zerks so we can grease them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
U joints

I replaced both u joints and rear yoke on my front prop shaft today. Napa part 338 fit perfectly and has a grease zerk! Removing front shaft was the most time consuming. I found that if you pull your skidplate, drive out front roll pin and remove two bolts for front diff (the ones closest to the prop shaft). And just loosen the front two diff bolts you can get enough play to slide the prop shaft rearward and get it off the front diff. I did have to persuade the front yoke off with a long extension. Then rotate the prop shaf to clear the diff and push it to the pass side and forward. You can push it passed the large hose and the rear will fall off. Take rear of prop shaft over cable assy and remove from right rear corner of the machine. This saved me alot of time.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... the process was pretty easy... the 338 was a very close fit and a lot cheapest than the $48 a joint kit at the dealership! I had to pull the front passenger side axle to get the shaft out and take the diff all the way loose! All in all a fairly simple job!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The NAPA #338 fits the 2011 Midsize 500 as well?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I found that the NAPA 338 is NOT the perfect fit everyone makes it out to be. I took my used shaft to a drivetrain shop & they replaced the OEM U joints w/ 5-170X U joints. No grinding req'd to install the snap rings.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 5-170X are not the same either and will bind if the ears are not modified.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The 5-170X are not the same either and will bind if the ears are not modified.
I don't see any machining/grinding marks on (paint still visible on surface adjacent to snap rings) the ears. So I don't think they were modified. Movement is free and no binding is apparent.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I replaced all six on my 6x6 and they do not mic the same as oem, they are wider where the clips go. We had to slightly grind the ears to keep them from binding, perhaps there are differences in the prop shafts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im in the process of going to buy new u joints for my 2017 Ranger crew 1000...what would be the Spicer or Moog equivalent? 5-170x or napa 338s work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts