PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I needed another vehicle in the garage like I need another 10 lbs but I got one anyway. So far, I've driven it on and off the trailer and into the garage. Looking forward to heading out for the weekend on Friday morning and then beginning my list of things I need to buy to accessorize my new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Cool! Love the cage!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looking forward to the build thread!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hollar at me when you sell the stock rims/tires for your new stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Nice looking ride

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Really nice ride. Enjoy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well - drove it for the first time this past weekend. All I can say is WOW, what a ride! It is leagues above my Ranger on the trails. My B-I-L just got a new 900S and we were tearing it up in the woods. Other than the copious amounts of dust, it was a perfect weekend. I need to start ordering some accessories but I am overly thrilled with the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fswan

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Very nice looking machine!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We just had a trip up to Silver Lake to play on the dunes. Totally different than the trails I have always ridden on.
What a blast!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
That 'is' catching some air....very cool.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
600 Posts
We just had a trip up to Silver Lake to play on the dunes. Totally different than the trails I have always ridden on.
What a blast!!

Always saw commercials and shoots with pics like this, and wondered how the vehicle holds up after. Is it ready to go again or is there a decent amount of maintenance when you push the rzrs?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Always saw commercials and shoots with pics like this, and wondered how the vehicle holds up after. Is it ready to go again or is there a decent amount of maintenance when you push the rzrs?
Good question, Locke! Will be interested in Onewheat's take on it but for me, the 'fixes' involve about the same amount of $ and time as my Ranger, maybe just a little bit less. Looking at his pics, notice that the suspension is a lot beefier than the Ranger's so the RZR can absorb more of this type of action and keep on tickin'. I have never jumped mine that high so maybe my observations aren't relevant. I normally carry a lot of weight in the very limited storage space available in the RZR so my back end is always pretty heavy and therefore pretty unbalanced, not to mention that I come from a long line of cowards and I'm a thoroughbred!

Oddly enough, riding the Ranger can give you equivalent the rush as a RZR -- just gotta be aware of the machine's limitations. A Ranger pushed to it's limits and a RZR pushed to it's limits are both pretty exhilarating! YouTube has a bunch of vids of guys doing some pretty impressive jumps in their Rangers albeit, a couple of jumps like in Onewheat's pic and you'll be shopping for shocks and springs! At one time, I had a 3in. lift (no sway bar) on my Ranger, trying to make it more RZR-like but I eventually took it off and discovered that the Ranger was a lot more fun to ride when it was at it's stock height (much more stable). I couldn't clear the Rocks of south TN as well, but on the fast, flat trails of places like Durhamtown Plantation, I could really fly without the lift. Plus, since I use the Ranger for work on around my property, a lift is totally unnecessary.

I use my Ranger a WHOLE lot more than my RZR. I just finished hauling several trailer loads of limbs to my burn piles using the Ranger, that is just one example of the practicability of the Ranger over the RZR. I also use the Ranger to spray and spread fertilizer - that ain't happening with my RZR. Riding the RZR ALWAYS involves loading it on a trailer, driving at least and hour (usually 4 hours) hence, it gets a lot more garage time than the Ranger.

I guess that's why the General has so much appeal to me, still having the (near) utility of Ranger; dump bed, turf mode, but yet have the capability of doing RZR stuff when I'm feeling froggy! Now, if the folks at the Lotto office would just cooperate...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Good question, Locke! Will be interested in Onewheat's take on it but for me, the 'fixes' involve about the same amount of $ and time as my Ranger, maybe just a little bit less. Looking at his pics, notice that the suspension is a lot beefier than the Ranger's so the RZR can absorb more of this type of action and keep on tickin'. I have never jumped mine that high so maybe my observations aren't relevant. I normally carry a lot of weight in the very limited storage space available in the RZR so my back end is always pretty heavy and therefore pretty unbalanced, not to mention that I come from a long line of cowards and I'm a thoroughbred!

Oddly enough, riding the Ranger can give you equivalent the rush as a RZR -- just gotta be aware of the machine's limitations. A Ranger pushed to it's limits and a RZR pushed to it's limits are both pretty exhilarating! YouTube has a bunch of vids of guys doing some pretty impressive jumps in their Rangers albeit, a couple of jumps like in Onewheat's pic and you'll be shopping for shocks and springs! At one time, I had a 3in. lift (no sway bar) on my Ranger, trying to make it more RZR-like but I eventually took it off and discovered that the Ranger was a lot more fun to ride when it was at it's stock height (much more stable). I couldn't clear the Rocks of south TN as well, but on the fast, flat trails of places like Durhamtown Plantation, I could really fly without the lift. Plus, since I use the Ranger for work on around my property, a lift is totally unnecessary.

I use my Ranger a WHOLE lot more than my RZR. I just finished hauling several trailer loads of limbs to my burn piles using the Ranger, that is just one example of the practicability of the Ranger over the RZR. I also use the Ranger to spray and spread fertilizer - that ain't happening with my RZR. Riding the RZR ALWAYS involves loading it on a trailer, driving at least and hour (usually 4 hours) hence, it gets a lot more garage time than the Ranger.

I guess that's why the General has so much appeal to me, still having the (near) utility of Ranger; dump bed, turf mode, but yet have the capability of doing RZR stuff when I'm feeling froggy! Now, if the folks at the Lotto office would just cooperate...
I agree a general might be the perfect mix! I know the RZR has a much better suspension set up, but even so, when I jump my truck that is a little set up to, or even push it hard off road, I tend to loosen a lot of stuff up or damage things that need to be replaced, not the suspension but more in the axels and tie-rod department. Happy to hear though that the whole RZR has been built to withstand that type of use! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My jumps were relatively tame, I think. There were some other hills guys were jumping but the thing about the dunes is you can find some approaches that give a minimal amount of height but more distance with a nice sloped landing. This was my first time in the air with it and it was approached with baby steps, for sure. Clean up afterwards is obviously MUCH easier - consisting of a shop vac and a quick wash down with a hose and sponge for the dust. Not having to break out the pressure washer is great. I do feel like the dunes are MUCH harder on the belt - I haven't popped the cover to poke around yet and look at the belt/clutches but there was a time or two when I'm pretty sure I could smell it. Also, in the three days we were there, I saw ZERO Rangers. This isn't saying you couldn't bring one, but it was defiitly NOT the vehicle of choice. There were a lot of vehicles, Jeeps, SUVs and pickups that looked bone-stock. I assume they just aired down the tires and they were good to go. Obviously they aren't jumping them and I'm not sure how much jumping I'd want to do in my Ranger either, but then again... baby steps. You find an appropriate long approach with a up slope, not a bump with a lip and you hit it at 20, then 25, then 30 and you see how things progress. Shock-wise, the RZR suspension is a dream compared to my Ranger which is the main reason I got it. Trail riding with all my friends I went from a quad to the Ranger and was happy bringing up the rear, carrying the cooler and just cruising, but friends started going to RZRs after a couple of quad injuries and the speeds picked up. The Ranger may fare well with some shock upgrades but I felt like I was beating it up too much trying to keep up with RZRs, so I just got one. My Ranger is more utility for me but we recently went to Windrock and my son and nephew drove the Ranger and wife and I had the RZR. The Ranger wasn't quite as suited for the ride there - very rocky and slow riding - but we had 5 Jeeps and 5 UTVs in our group. We needed to winch the Ranger once over an obstacle but the RZR made it after a couple attempts and a different line that the added length allowed.

But to really answer your question - it was pretty much ready to go again. I would think there may be more belt maintenence and I have heard clutches can be better optimized for dune riding or whatever type of riding you do to minimise issues, but otherwise I would have been good to go again the following weekend. I did carry a spare belt and I haven't looked internally yet to see if anything seemed amiss, but it drove just fine for three days and when I got it back home around the neighborhood after washing it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the response, sounds like it did great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts