PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was up under our '05 ranger 500 4x4 yesterday, I noticed the drive shaft laying on (or very close) to the frame about mid span. I've never noticed any noise from it, and the shaft doesn't seem to look worn at that spot, but there's no way this can be right. I've had the ranger's front end up on jacks for a week or so, but sat it down a couple of days ago when I finished the front end work. Started it but haven't moved it, so maybe it will lift up after driving it, but I don't know yet. Haven't tried to lift or jiggle it yet, just saw that it seemed to be laying on the frame. I'm really surprised these don't have a carrier bearing at that point, or is it suppose to 'float' over that cross brace? I noticed that the rear u joint was not completely in line, with sort of a sag at that point, but maybe that's normal for these machines. What's everybody say about this being so close to the frame. Haven't checked close enough to see if that's dirt on the frame or if the shaft is actually wearing a spot in it. (was already dark out when it took the pics, and I was too tired to do much more checking at the time.) Thanks for any opinions on this.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check U joints for play......Check motor mounts.....Check front end mounts ......Have you had any hard impacts ?

·
6,994 Posts
Errrrrrrrr, I'll bet it wiggles.......... o_O

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been too busy with the chores at hand and keep forgetting while I'm under there and it's up on jacks again for the rear brakes and that darn stripped out rear diff drain plug, but I plan on figuring this problem out as soon as I get it back together and test drive it. Almost as soon as I had it on the ground after rebuilding the front end for changing out the fluids, I put it back up on rear end jacks to work on the drain plug and change the rear brake pads. I'll report back after it's down and 'settles' back to normal conditions. I still have my doubts, even though it seems to be sitting on the frame, there doesn't look like any wear marks on the shaft ?? Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts