PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new the the site and new to rangers. With all of this self quarantine stuff I decided it would fun to get the kids out of the house and explore. I bought a 2007 Ranger 700 and am trying to get it running right. Here are the symptoms I have found:

Starts and idles just fine
Give it a little bit of gas and it will stall out
Will start right back up though
Give it half to full throttle and it will go without stalling
When cruising down the road, let off the gas and it will backfire

I have read a lot about idle adjustment, tbap, tps, boots with cracks, bad wires. I don't know where to go from here. When I check the codes, I get 21, 22, 25. I understand that 25 is nothing to worry about. I sprayed the rubber boot between throttle body and head with carb cleaner (heard it will rev high if there are cracks). Nothing. I replaced the spark plugs (gaped correctly). My idle speed is 1120-1140ish. The tps sensor plugs into a connector. On the other end of that connector are three wires coming out that look to go into a loom. The purple one looks to be worn and I can see copper. I am sure this isn't good (I don't even know what that part is called) but I don't know if it is the cause of my issues. The guy I bought it from claimed that he recently replaced the fuel pump. Any suggestions for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Ther, you are going to need a manual,,,, 2007 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 XP Service Manual PDF Download

21 is a Crank Position Sensor Code. Normally caused by the CPS harness rubbing thru on the engine .

22 is TPS code PROBABLY from those wires chafing as long as someone has not screwed with the throttle body FLOW SCREW which many people mistakenly feel is a IDLE ADJUSTMENT which it is NOT.

25 is usually nothing as long as the cluster is showing the correct gear

Get a good fuel pressure tester and use it. It screws to the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail Easy to use and will rule out a ton of speculation...... Yeah, I know, the former owner installed a new pump......doesn't mean diddly.. Read this 2009 XP 700 gremlins

OTB makes a HD harness for Polaris skimp harness replacement . Normally on 700, the TBAP ....TPS and occasionally the CPS harness needs replacement...... Polaris even admits that 80% of EFI problems are their skimpy wire harnesses. Here is some reading and the product list .... OTB Powersports

Ther, no matter how you slice it, you either spend $ 200-300 dollars and a few hours labor now and get the machine reliable or don't and it will DRIVE YOU CRAZY and leave you stranded. Once you go thru and get things replaced it will love you a long time but they have no mercy on ANYBODY. Leave things undone and half azzed and you will pay the piper over and over...... and over and over...... No rocket science to getting it right ..You didn't mentioned hours/miles ....................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ther, you are going to need a manual,,,, 2007 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 XP Service Manual PDF Download

21 is a Crank Position Sensor Code. Normally caused by the CPS harness rubbing thru on the engine .

22 is TPS code PROBABLY from those wires chafing as long as someone has not screwed with the throttle body FLOW SCREW which many people mistakenly feel is a IDLE ADJUSTMENT which it is NOT.

25 is usually nothing as long as the cluster is showing the correct gear

Get a good fuel pressure tester and use it. It screws to the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail Easy to use and will rule out a ton of speculation...... Yeah, I know, the former owner installed a new pump......doesn't mean diddly.. Read this 2009 XP 700 gremlins

OTB makes a HD harness for Polaris skimp harness replacement . Normally on 700, the TBAP ....TPS and occasionally the CPS harness needs replacement...... Polaris even admits that 80% of EFI problems are their skimpy wire harnesses. Here is some reading and the product list .... OTB Powersports

Ther, no matter how you slice it, you either spend $ 200-300 dollars and a few hours labor now and get the machine reliable or don't and it will DRIVE YOU CRAZY and leave you stranded. Once you go thru and get things replaced it will love you a long time but they have no mercy on ANYBODY. Leave things undone and half azzed and you will pay the piper over and over...... and over and over...... No rocket science to getting it right ..You didn't mentioned hours/miles ....................
Thanks for your reply jungleman. I have 5656 miles and 585 hours. I tested my fuel pump. It held 40 in all conditions. It I wiggle my tps wiring the motor will speed up or slow down. Im sure that's wiring. My throttle body screw is all chewed up...bad (see picture). What can I do about that?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
"as someone has not screwed with the throttle body FLOW SCREW which many people mistakenly feel is a IDLE ADJUSTMENT which it is NOT. "..............................

If it is so bad that you cannot cut a slot in it so iot can be adjusted, you will have to buy a used TB on Ebay or www.powersportsnation.com or a new tb from Polaris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts