PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason, the 2015 Ranger Crew 900 has 15 less HPs than the 2015 RZR 900 with the SAME Prostar engine??

I've done quite a bit of reading and it "looks like" -ALL- of the critical part numbers between the two are IDENTICAL (Engine Number, Throttle Body & ECU).

Is it possible that it's simply a matter of "Flash" programming within the ECU that controls the HPs?

AND more importantly... could I install an ECU from a RZR 900 and boost the Ranger's HPs?

Thoughts?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
It's the tranny that's different. One is for torque (ranger) the other is for speed. (RZR)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look down the recent threads, there are like 3 threads pertaining to reflash ing or getting programmers for 900 Rangers.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Hot topic lately! Do searches on 'RVS Performance' and 'Bikeman.' :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
RVS posted some impressive dyno numbers...something like 86 horsepower

·
Registered
493 Posts
There are pluses & minuses to whatever way you go.
I personally had to consider & believe that each company was telling the truth about their numbers, since I wasn't present for either dyno. With that being said, besides both parties having pretty close to the same #'s, the differences to me where;
Bikeman -
Pluses - You get the Bullydog Tuner to keep - can change any settings you desire
Minuses - No turf mode w/ performance tune - check engine light - must reconnect tuner to switch to turf mode - more $$

RVS -
Pluses - Turf mode all times - no external to connect or reconnect - no check engine lights- less $$
Minuses - No tuner to make changes if desired - dealer could reflash (RVS will flash back once for free)

I think that about covers my concerns... I personally went with RVS, as switching between turf mode is a need for me & I didn't like the thought of having check engine light on.

BTW, my crew on 29.5 OL2s is now an absolute beast & a blast to drive.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm going with RVS also. Its cheaper and IMO better. To be able to retain turf mode and not have to look at a check engine light is a big deal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm going with RVS also. Its cheaper and IMO better. To be able to retain turf mode and not have to look at a check engine light is a big deal.
hey did you guys do anything to your clutch with the rvs I have the Dalton clutch kit already would that be good enough you think, now u got me second guessing bikeman

·
Registered
493 Posts
hey did you guys do anything to your clutch with the rvs I have the Dalton clutch kit already would that be good enough you think, now u got me second guessing bikeman
I purchased the QSC adjustable kit with the tune (although hindsight, I probably would have just got the fixed kit, as the weights Ryan provides will probably not need to be adjusted, nor am I comfortable enough to think I know what I am doing to do so) just my IMO.

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed either way, I just feel like the RVS way, was the way to go for me personally.

And I am quite sure the folks @ Bikeman are awesome to deal with, but Ryan has been nothing short of superb to work with. He has been walking with me every step of the way, and answers pretty much anytime I PM him.

Reactions: Ranger Ed

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ryan is the man and a clutching genius. Go RVS, trust me.

Also, in the near future, more light is going to be shed on the topic of "this" tune vs "that" tune and people aren't gonna like how one company "acquired" theirs...that's all I'm gonna say about that and I'll let the man who actually wrote the program for these tunes shed light on that topic when he becomes a member/sponsor. It should be entertaining !!!

Reactions: Chiefmorton

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's a ryan question I'd call ryan @ rvs and if he can make that Dalton kit work he will but more than likely you will have to change up the clutching so its lighter. To me the bikeman product is a half-assed rushed to market product, why release something when it wasn't ready? Clearly there are still glitches and bugs to be worked out if they can't figure out the turf mode/check engine light thing.....the rvs one has that so to ME that tells me there is a company that did their homework !!!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
You can run any clutching you like with our tune, but you need to hit a specified RPM with the engine to reach peak HP. You are correct that the only real difference between them is the tune in the ECU. However, there are some things that keep you from just swapping in a RZR ecu and having it work. It's just not that easy to do.

If you have an adjustable weight Dalton kit you will likely be able to adapt it to work fine with our tune.

·
Registered
478 Posts
so whats the story behind the bikeman tune you cant say that and just leave us wondering, im about to pull the trigger and 900 bucks is a lot to spend

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Not going to air it on a public forum. Just a huge disaster in the making to do that. But we can say for certain that the "customer" that sent them their ECU from us that didn't work was one of them that walked in to get it done. So of course we gave them a bad tune. Why would we give them the real thing knowingly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone verified that the mechanicals on the RZR motor are the same as the 900 motor? I was told the RZR had dual intake throttle bodies while the 900 has a single. Did that change in '15?

Ray

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The 900 XP had dual throttle bodies. The 900 S and trail and all the detuned ones for 15-16 and the 14 S model RZR have single throttle body. There are differences between the 2 motors internally as well. All the internals of the 14 900 S and all 15-16 model 900 are the same between the RZR and Ranger.

I believe Polaris detuned the 900 because it ran to close to the 1K and was hurting sales of the flagship machine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RVS -Thanks for the info...

So what hp does my R14UH9EAW RANGER XP® 900 EPS White Lightning LE put out? 62 is what is listed in the owners manual but that is a generic 900 Ranger manual.

Also, is there a tranny set-up that engages the clutch at a lower RPM and keeps the engine at a lower RPM until top end WOT? Even in high range, my motor winds right up to 5000 rpm but the tranny slowly accelerates up to 30 -40 before the machine catches up with the engine. I'd like to have a harder engage (for mostly street use) where it doesn't wind out so fast -until you nail it.

Thanks

Ray

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The 14 model ranger is advertised at 60hp. We only have access to wheel dynos, so I can only give you those numbers. The 13-14 and 15+ crews all have the 60hp tune stock that makes about 38 at the wheels. The 15-16 have 68hp advertised and make about 43 at the wheels stock.

Unfortunately the cruising RPM on the clutching is a natural thing of CVT systems. You can get adjustable clutch weights that will help change the engagement rpm and cruising rpm as well, but not going to see huge changes. Just the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts