PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Infinity PRV250 radio is drawing about 500ma when it is shut off and is draining my battery.

I installed the radio in June 2013 and never had a problem until a couple weeks ago. When I installed, I wired both the Backup B+ (yellow) and Ignition B+ (red) wires together and directly to 12+ (though a separate fuse block) and not through a separate switch or relay.

Anyone else experience the same problem?

·
Registered
114 Posts
How long does it sit between use, the yellow wire keeps the memory on the radio, so it's going to have a constant draw. Chances are, you was riding more this summer then you are now, and your not getting the battery charged back up after the low draw while it sits. Either switch it, or use a battery tender to keep your charge up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long does it sit between use, the yellow wire keeps the memory on the radio, so it's going to have a constant draw. Chances are, you was riding more this summer then you are now, and your not getting the battery charged back up after the low draw while it sits. Either switch it, or use a battery tender to keep your charge up.

500ma (1/2 A) is quite a draw for just the memory. The computer and electronics in a car shouldn't pull more than 50ma.

I think there is something wrong with the radio.

·
Registered
656 Posts
500ma (1/2 A) is quite a draw for just the memory. The computer and electronics in a car shouldn't pull more than 50ma.

I think there is something wrong with the radio.

Its the the radio or you have something else drawing on it as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the the radio or you have something else drawing on it as well.
It's the radio...when I pull the fuse for the radio, the draw is 0.

What I haven't tried is pulling the inline fuse that is included in the memory backup wire. Surprised that its a 10A fuse.
Curious if its the main power or the memory backup causing the draw.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You could put a switch on the main power and leave your memory wire hot. Unhook you main power and leave memory and see what it does. Or have the hot on keyed. the remote shouldn't draw much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out that the Memory wire was drawing the current.

Prospec is going to replace the radio under warranty. According to them "the newest model of the PRV250 uses a single red wire only and no memory wire. This radio will still remember all the presets because it has EPROM memory retention, but it will not remember the clock setting because the clock memory is always changing."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts