PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Heck I'm one of their dealers for Florida and I don't even know what the surprise is. PM me details Jason!

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Guess we will see tomorrow!! Free radios for all PRC forum members is a plan I can live with!!! :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
ElecTech said:
Guess we will see tomorrow!! Free radios for all PRC forum members is a plan I can live with!!! :lol:
Ditto on that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The countdown is over, and we want to thank everyone for following this thread.

Rugged Radios is excited to announce that we have surpassed 50,000 fans on Facebook! This means a lot to us! We are thrilled and honored to be doing business in the UTV industry. Thanks to our loyal customers, we have grown to become the company you know and trust. As a gift to you, Rugged Radio is running a Storewide Sale from now until Monday, July 1st. 15% OFF THE ENTIRE STORE (excluding select items) including Clearance, plus additional crazy deals scattered throughout the site!

Visit our store now! www.ruggedradios.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You for all the great support the orders keep coming like crazy! Don't forget to check out the Hidden Specials around our website for some even better deals!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the sale is going on through Monday, so keep those orders coming!! Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Need advice on suggested set up

Rugged Radio offers many varied products. What is recommended, VHS or UHS? We have two Rangers and want vehicle to vehicle and ability to monitor selected frequency. Currently using FRS walkie talkies with very limited range. Looking for greater range and advice on portable or installed in vehicles. Price is a huge concern as we will be needing two units. Seems like great deals Rugged Radio and this may be the time to buy. Thoughts please.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Several of us are using the Rugged Vertex VX2200 which is on sale today (last day) for $250. Rugged can provide it with either VHF or UHF - we use VHF. Rugged will pre-program it with the most common off road frequencies. The radio puts out 50 watts (vs 1/2 watt for FRS) so it has a significant range depending on terrain. You can hook it up to external speakers, head sets, helmet kits, or the included microphone. When you pair it up with one of their VOX intercoms, it becomes extremely versatile. The intercoms support input from the radio, cell phone, MP3 players, etc. the VOX feature is really nice because it will mute the music whenever anyone speaks either over the intercom (no button pushing required!) or when you use the radio (push the PTT button to transmit).

Another popular choice are the hand held portables such as the Yaesu Standard HX370 VHF. It outputs 5 watts, is waterproof, has built in NOAA weather alerts, high intensity strobe light that emits SOS signal, and an 18 hour Nickel Metal Hydride battery. It can also be used with head sets, helmet kits, external speakers, or an intercom.

Fair warning - once you get bit by the radio bug, you sink A LOT OF $ into your setups :lol: :lol: . No, I am not affiliated with Rugged - just a satisfied customer :!:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for information

Thank you Forde. Exactly what I was wanting to know. I will be pulling the trigger on a couple of radios today. Your input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Forde, how did the VHF work in TN? I had asked Jason and he recommended UHF for the mountains like we ride in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
UHF or VHF ?

What I found in my limited research showed UHF for wooded and mountainous areas or for cities/buildings. What did you experience in TN.? Our little walkie talkies were great on the trail at RRB but not good range at all.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Well, I am a little embarrassed to say (actually, a lot embarrassed!) but I did a little "engineering" on my Push To Talk (PTT) button and messed it up so for most of the time, I couldn't transmit - but could hear fine. Let me defer to Pressure Drop and Storm :oops: But you are right, the heavier structure environments do favor UHF while in the more open places, VHF is usually better. A lot of guys have nice GMRS (part of the UHF band) radios that do pretty well in the TN riding areas but I am not too familiar with them. I did have Rugged set me up a couple of Hand Helds (HYT TC320 UHF) with the GMRS frequencies, but I didn't use them at RRB. Jason knows his stuff, so I would follow his advice :D Just remember, which ever you choose, the folks you are planning to talk too have to have the same!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The communication to the to and from the trail guide (Jerry in our case) was very important. Do most PRC guys use the FRS radios and if so maybe I should just stick what we have. We thought it was great that we could monitor Jerry and his tail gunners (Randy and Sue) and transmit to them if need be while still commicating between our two Rangers on a separate frequency. What seems be be best for PRC rides?

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Leo, we all use the FRS radios and they work fine for staying in touch while in the group. I was tail gunning on Saturday and they worked fine. However, you have a lot more options with the Rugged setup. I would love to have the UHF setup myself but like Forde said, everyone has to have the same setup. If you could get the FRS frequency on a Rugged setup as one of the channels, that would be ideal. I love the thought of having a 50 watt setup for communicating with folks back at camp. We tried to get a base and mobile setup for our rides but we didn't have time to work it out. Maybe next go round we will have something.

Now, if we could have a PRC frequency, then everyone that bought a setup could get that frequency at least! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Bruce. Trying to reach Jason by PM. May just go ahead and get the UHF VX 2200 set up x 2 and have our FRS talkies for PRC Rides to be able to get everything I think I am looking for. If I hear more from Jason or find out anything of further interest I will post. As has been said, you guys do a great Job for all PRC members. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts