PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this one? for the points of lifting and practicality.
Maybe the handle is too short?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
My opinion:
A gimmicky idea for a guy with a small garage and no room for a floor jack. To me it seems like it would be a pain to use. Jack stands need to be used in pairs a pair under the front, a pair under the back or two pairs one eacn front and back so all 4 wheels are off the ground, depending upon the job at hand. Using the jacking "feature" of these stands would require you to jack up one side slightly, go to the other side jack it up some, return to the original side jack higher and so on, back and forth, until the desired height was attained. You can't jack as high as desired on only one side only first becasue you may either tweak the chassis or the vehicle may slip off the stand due to the angle of one side being so much higher than the other.
IHMO, jacking from the middle of the vehicle at either end raises both side equally at the same time, no twist in the chassis, you place your stands where you need them and lower the vehicle on to them; remove the floor jack and viola, done.
Construction wise, I don't see a problem unless you don't use the pins to secure the load after height is achieved. There is a remote possibility of a hydraulic failure or leak down which would allow one stand to settle without the others moving which would probably not be dangerous given the range of each stand is limited for pin placement. The problem I do see is that hydraulics do eventually leak. Depending upon quality it may take 20 years or more but eventually they will leak. I have a 40 year old Blue Point floor jack that I just had to rebuild due to a static leak. I could have purchased a new Chinese jack for about what I paid for the rebuild kit, but my old jack is like an old friend and will still be working when the cheap Chinese jacks are back at the foundry for melting down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion:
A gimmicky idea for a guy with a small garage and no room for a floor jack. To me it seems like it would be a pain to use. Jack stands need to be used in pairs a pair under the front, a pair under the back or two pairs one eacn front and back so all 4 wheels are off the ground, depending upon the job at hand. Using the jacking "feature" of these stands would require you to jack up one side slightly, go to the other side jack it up some, return to the original side jack higher and so on, back and forth, until the desired height was attained. You can't jack as high as desired on only one side only first becasue you may either tweak the chassis or the vehicle may slip off the stand due to the angle of one side being so much higher than the other.
IHMO, jacking from the middle of the vehicle at either end raises both side equally at the same time, no twist in the chassis, you place your stands where you need them and lower the vehicle on to them; remove the floor jack and viola, done.
Construction wise, I don't see a problem unless you don't use the pins to secure the load after height is achieved. There is a remote possibility of a hydraulic failure or leak down which would allow one stand to settle without the others moving which would probably not be dangerous given the range of each stand is limited for pin placement. The problem I do see is that hydraulics do eventually leak. Depending upon quality it may take 20 years or more but eventually they will leak. I have a 40 year old Blue Point floor jack that I just had to rebuild due to a static leak. I could have purchased a new Chinese jack for about what I paid for the rebuild kit, but my old jack is like an old friend and will still be working when the cheap Chinese jacks are back at the foundry for melting down.
I'm with you on this one, I don't see the big deal with this stand, can't go wrong with torin big red 3 ton 14" to 20.5" for $31 a pair at home depot.
You can always add a 4×4/6×6 on top if you have the ranger lifted, they should be enough support for a suspension job.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts