PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the John Deere low viscosity hygard hydraulic/transmission oil work as a replacement for polaris AGL oil in a ranger-900 transmission. I know it's used as a replacement in the front differential. thanks

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Personally, I'm running JD HYD fluid in 2 of my 800 transmissions now. I am not running the Low Viscosity type. I think that would be too watery for the transmission.

I think you'd be fine with the regular viscosity Trans/HYD. oil. It's the same oil that JD is running in their 2 speed manual transmissions (similar to polaris) in their UTV's. Keep in mind, I may be doing this on my machines, but I'm also pretty much out of warranty, and won't have polaris looking over my shoulder if something goes wrong... I think regular viscosity oil is fine for the trans, but you'll be using it at your own risk of warranty denial. A safer purchase for you would be to buy Amsoil's gear and chaincase lube for UTV's

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking forward to when the Polaris warranty is over. When I stopped at my local JD dealer and picked up some John Deere low viscosity hygard hydraulic/transmission oil for the front differential I asked what new Gators used in their tansmissions. They looked it up and said the JD Low Visc. Hygard. I was wondering if anyone was curretly running it in ther 900Ranger or 800's trasnsmissions. thanks

· Registered
356 Posts
I am currently using the JD HY-GARD (not the low vis stuf) in both my tranny and front diff. Seems to work well. At $20 a gallon its a deal.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Like Kenneth said, would not run the low viscosity stuff in the trans, run the regular viscosity..

Actually, I don't even run John Deere oil, I go to my local farm/ranch supply store, buy a 5 gallon pail of JD spec (JD 20) hyd oil for less than $50 (harvest king is a good brand), and can change the transmission and front diff oil ( I use it in both) for less than $10.

John Deere's oil is way overpriced for my blood, but still a bargain when compared to getting ripped off on polaris oil.

· Registered
3,010 Posts
amziol chaincase lube is what I use great stuff T&S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.