PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really glad to find the PRC and this forum. Just purchased a new 2019 XP 1000. Rangers have come a long, long way since I bought my 2003 model. Hope I don’t wear y‘all out with questions.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Lots of smart and poor Ranger owners here. So fire away and I'm sure you'll get your questions answered and your wallet lightened !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of smart and poor Ranger owners here. So fire away and I'm sure you'll get your questions answered and your wallet lightened !!!!
Quick question for you Stainlessman. Partners at our deer lease have 5 to 10 year old Rangers. Whenever they return them to the storage barn, they plug in a trickle charger attached to the battery. With a good battery and the alternators on these rangers, is there any reason to leave them hooked up to a charger? Storage time might be one to two weeks between hunts.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think trickle chargers are a good idea. That being said, if you have a quality AGM type battery and no accessories that are drawing amperage when the key is off then 1-2 weeks won't be a problem. If you're storing it for months, then yes, put a charger on it.

Not sure where you're hunting but if your area allows baiting (feeders, etc) don't store corn, protein or the like anywhere near your Ranger. In my area, west central Texas, mice and rats wreak havoc on these new heavily wired machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven’t added anything to the Ranger so I‘m hoping that there is no draw when the key is off. I’ll pick up a charger for the off season.
We hunt near Three Rivers. Mice, rats and who knows what else are a problem. We now have two of those large cargo containers that you see being trucked down I 10. These work great. Rangers fit perfectly. No rodent problems. There are a number of places in Houston that sell the containers. Bet Corpus has places too.
thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I haven’t added anything to the Ranger so I‘m hoping that there is no draw when the key is off. I’ll pick up a charger for the off season.
We hunt near Three Rivers. Mice, rats and who knows what else are a problem. We now have two of those large cargo containers that you see being trucked down I 10. These work great. Rangers fit perfectly. No rodent problems. There are a number of places in Houston that sell the containers. Bet Corpus has places too.
thanks
A lot of hunters and land owner around here use the containers. We call them Conex. This is a small town and so many people use them that there are 3-4 people that drive to Houston and bring them back to resell. There is a term for ones that only make one trip from China to here and they are pristine but so is the price.

With no accessories, and if memory serves me, the key off current draw should be no more than 20 mA.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome to the site
Your battery should be OK down in Houston weather wise, here in the NE the extreme cold wreaks havoc on the very small batteries.
I don't have that problem, mine is stored in a climate controlled garage 58* F with outside temp at 8*F ( just looked)
With that said if you want you could pick up a good solar trickle battery charger and attach it to the container.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I use a battery tender as my Ranger sets most of the winter in WV.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I've never used a battery tender. I might hook the charger to it after its sit all winter. But even then it started to drive from 'its' shed up to my shop to get plugged in. And its always started. So sitting two weeks. No problem. We had -20* below the other day here. And my ranger hasn't started in two months and I'm sure after another two months of sitting it'll still start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to you all. I think I'll try it for a while without the charger and see how it goes.
Pat

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have added a LOT of accessories to my Ranger (all of them shut down with key off)...and here in Northern Ohio...starts every time with no hesitation after being stored outdoors for weeks/months. No battery tender here!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts