PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyody have the equivalent K&N numbers for a 2018 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 EPS. If so, I'd appreciate your help as well as recommendations regarding best source for purchase. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
black...........K &N filters are seriously NOT GOOD for Rangers. Stick to OEM filters and your engine will last longer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
black...........K &N filters are seriously NOT GOOD for Rangers. Stick to OEM filters and your engine will last longer.
What he said! I don’t recommend them on anything that is not cleaned/re-oiled with a pre filter regularly. And I used them all the time on high horsepower dirt track race cars. I trust the OE filters on my Ranger.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why is that the case? i'm assuming that there are numerous excellent filters out there and i'd be interested what engineering goes into the Polaris filter to make it better. a higher price doesn't always necessarily mean a higher quality product. i'd be very interested in the performance value of Polaris filters of all types versus the field of other filters. i'd be interested to see if there is a consensus that Polaris makes the best filters.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Black, It is not that Polaris makes such a fantastic filter as much as the K& N filters just DO NOT keep out dirt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is all I will say on the topic...obviously you want to use a reusable air filter. I raced dirt track for a long time and used K&N air filters on carb and both crankcase breathers, rear diff vent and trans. I trusted them ONLY because I cleaned them every week, let them dry, re-oiled them, installed them with a grease applied seal on ALL mating surfaces, then installed a foam prefilter also charged with oil. And these engines were 25K to build. If you want to see what engineering goes into the Polaris filters...take a look at their research and development facilities and you will see that they are state of the art. Run what you want tho. You will find that most on this forum agree to OE when it comes to filters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original question. A reusable filter is not that important to me. I've used K&N car and truck air and cabin filters in the past. I've never used their oil filters and don't have any need to use that brand. I'd be interested in hearing the recommended brands other than the OEM brands which have been used and which can be contrasted to the OEM. This is for my education. K&N is but one. How do the Wix, Napa Gold and STP filters, or others, compare with the OEM oil filter? I only want the best brand for performance, but also in terms of value. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Others on here will chime in with part numbers etc. I am personally sticking with Polaris brand air and oil filters myself so I won’t be much help. Everything else I bolted on was aftermarket tho lol.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think you'll find Wix makes most of them, I know for sure the do for NAPA. Cross reference can be found on there web pages.

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
If you want to see what engineering goes into the Polaris filters...take a look at their research and development facilities and you will see that they are state of the art.
I would like to hear more about this.
So you have been to their filtration research facility?

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
I think you'll find Wix makes most of them, I know for sure the do for NAPA. Cross reference can be found on there web pages.
Purchase the ( WIX) XP version, it is their best filter.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would like to hear more about this.
So you have been to their filtration research facility?
No I have not been in their facilities. I did work at MTD’s research and development facility as a lead model maker prototype builder for 15 years and know what an OE manufacturer today does to test and develop products. I have also seen a few videos of the facility at Polaris and no doubt I believe that their facility is state of the art. I am choosing to run the Polaris brand filters and oil because I believe that THEY have probably gone more into testing/flow/filtration/performance for their products than the other guy. Sorry if I made it sound like I frequent any Polaris owned facility...but I don’t believe that the Polaris engineers and testing department just threw on the first filters that fit.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, I dunno, they sure threw on the first sensor wire harness that fit.........and throttle body adapter and clutch and gearcase drive hubs and suspension bushing and>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

".but I don’t believe that the Polaris engineers and testing department just threw on the first filters that fit. "

If it will go six months..........it might be on there :)

·
Registered
5,983 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow...now I am second guessing my decision to buy my Polaris Ranger?! I researched for months to decide what brand to buy...and a big part of that decision was that I thought that Polaris had a good engineering department and a state of the art facility In Minnesota USA. Now I am learning that may not be so?. Jungleman I am curious tho...if the wire harness, and clutch, and gear case and all the other parts you mentioned are junk...why do YOU own a Polaris over the competition? Just an honest question from someone who thought they bought quality.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
That's easy.............. In 2007 , ALL THE REST OF THE UTV offerings were a really BAD joke....a motorized wheel barrow had more appeal than a Yamaha........Kawasaki......Honda.......etc etc.. If you wanted to get thru the mud, go faster than a slug and look pretty.........you bought a Ranger. ......That's all there was and once I got all the OEM value engineered crap replaced, I have very few incidents and she runs like a top and I wouldn't want another brand, even in this environment. You'll be fine to . All the rest have problems that are 'all their own' as well..

Reactions: Toxic-21

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I run the standard Wix filters and the way it was explained to me; the XP is an extended run filter with a different materiel for the core, it's like the KN filter in that it allows finer partials to flow through.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Yeah, standard WIX......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well...now I prolly should have installed a new Wix XP filter BEFORE I sealed up my filter housing during snorkel kit installation ???!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Look around at filters of all kinds fort all the various uses out there. The very best filtration, HEPA filters are paper element types, the only possibly better systems include centrifugal particle separators. Look at the filters used in industrial applications where extreme dust exposure is the norm; consider lawn equipment heavy construction equipment and so forth. In nearly every instance modern engines use paper element filtration. Some of those engines include a washable oiled foam covering over the paper element to remove the gross (large) particles before the get to the paper element in order to extend the life of the paper element. In older equipment produced before paper element technology arrived on the scene you'll find oil bath air filtration systems that consisted of steel wool bathed in oil through which air passed on it's way to the engine.

K&N filters, and those of similar design, are designed for performance applications where the requirement for power output exceeds the need for longevity. Performance engines are rebuilt as often as necessary to maintain maximum power output in order to maintain a winning edge for competition. Such engines are not expected to run thousands of hours between overhauls like most other engines are.

You can get away with the use of a K&N style filter on your on road daily driver because our roads are generally surrounded by fairly clean air. You may occasionally run through a construction site or road work where fine dust is being generated, but for the most part relatively clean air, stuff we as humans can breath without fear, is being ingested by your engine. For that same reason, most marine engines (with the exception of large engines) run with no air filtration at all. On the water there is little dust to contribute to wear of an engine. Large marine engines live in engine rooms within the craft and within those engine rooms there may be activities that generate dust so air filtration is included on those engines.

Off road vehicles are another matter. The norm is for them to operate in dusty areas where particles of all sizes are common. Fine particles are the real problem. K&N style filters have little problem removing large particles but some fine particles will get through simply becasue this type of filter focuses on maximum air flow and not maximum filtration.

There are other types of filters beigne designed, synthetic pleated filters similar to common paper types and ther are oiled foam filters. Small engine designers like Briggs and Stratton used oiled foam types for years after the stopped using oil bath types. Today though they have pretty much abandoned oiled foam in favor of the paper element. Although there may be expense factors invloved in that change to paper types, I suspect that much of the reason is effectiveness and efficiency. Overall, like most things, air filteration is a compromise of trying fo the greatest airflow with the least restriction and best filtration. The paper type element provides the best compromise of these three factors at this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts