PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 ranger xp 1000 3 seater is driving me nuts. It has a rattle type knock noise from the rear end under light load and slow speeds. I have been a toyota mechanic for 20 years and i can't find this darn noise. I have put my chassis ears on the left rear hub and can hear coming from there but the bearing is tight. That and bearing get worse with speed and this goes away and is not constant. That and when you get after it on the roads and put it under a load it goes away. So something is loose but with only 2200 miles i cant see a diff having a backlash problem. Its almost like it is slipping in gear a bit but its not a gear slipping sound. Its a back and forth metal sound like the back lash is to loose. So any advise would be great if y'all have the time I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2017 XP 1000 Hunter Edition EPS
9 Posts
My 2017 ranger xp 1000 3 seater is driving me nuts. It has a rattle type knock noise from the rear end under light load and slow speeds. I have been a toyota mechanic for 20 years and i can't find this darn noise. I have put my chassis ears on the left rear hub and can hear coming from there but the bearing is tight. That and bearing get worse with speed and this goes away and is not constant. That and when you get after it on the roads and put it under a load it goes away. So something is loose but with only 2200 miles i cant see a diff having a backlash problem. Its almost like it is slipping in gear a bit but its not a gear slipping sound. Its a back and forth metal sound like the back lash is to loose. So any advise would be great if y'all have the time I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,597 Posts
Have you checked your clutch? As a mechanic you know that drivetrain noises can be deceiving and difficult to isolate. I'm not a professional mechanic but all the CV joints I've heard seem to have a steady knock, knock knock or click click click type noise.

The clutch undergoes changes as it varies the ratio and has parts than can be loose enough to make noise during operation as load increases of decreases. "Slipping in gear" is another clue that makes me consider the clutch or a worn belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts