PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a while since I've posted here, been busy building a house.

I noticed a slight leak and/or seep out of my rear gearcase this weekend. Anyone else have this issue? Know how to solve it? There must be a seal of some sort in there. Is this a do it yourself repair or bring to the dealer? Its leaking right where the shaft enters the gearcase.

thanks!

few pics here

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Seems like they all leak or weep oil a bit. My 2006 did and my 2009 as well. All Rangers I have worked on exhibit the same type left side leak. I changed the seal on a 2006 for a Ranger Buddy, but it still weeps. Didn't help much.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Just pull the axle and change the seal. It's a pretty easy fix. :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can it be done without tearing down the whole gear box/differential? I looked in the manual last night and I'm not THAT mechanically inclined to tear apart the rear end.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
All you have to do is pull the axle and the seal will pop right out and in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Chevrolet pickup has 221,000 miles. I take it to a dealer to have the oil changed because they have all of the fluids and I don't have to keep them. Since the first time I had it serviced until the most recent service, the dealership has told me about the rear pinion seal leaking. It is still the same pinion seal and I have never had to add fluid except when I changed it. Leaking seals are only bad if you are losing fluid. It means the seal is being lubricated and most likely will outlast a seal that doesn't weep. You should always watch your tailgate for grease speckles. The speckles catch dust and make a mess and are not hard to see. It will be the first indication of a seal leaking somewhere ahead of the tailgate unless you drive in reverse! You should also check all fluid levels on a regular basis and look at the lubricant to be sure it is not milky, a sure sign of water leaking in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts