PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Lets get creative.

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  JJaxon 
#1 ·
I bought this volt meter (back lit digital) on Amazon, $8 i think, and opened the box to find the back is fully exposed. I was hoping for a fully contained shell that I could mount on the dash with some double backed tape. As it is, I'd need to cut a hole just slightly smaller than 3"x 1.5" and press it in. It does have a retainer clip on the sides. I just don't want that big hole in the dash should this get wet and not work someday.

So, can I get some help creating a back cover, of some sort, that will only require a small hole for the wires to poke through, and bond to the dash? If all else fails, is there a goop type stuff to seal the board from moisture before installing?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Are they still a card board type material? Haven't seen one in decades.

#4 ·
Many are thin wood. Try a cigar store in your area. They should lots of them.

#6 ·
Actually thought i was making them smaller, but,, iiwii.

#7 · (Edited)
You could apply some silicone, epoxy, or even J.B. Weld over the circuit board but quite frankly, I would put in just like it is. If it does burn out, order one of these to replace it with - I think the hole sizes are the same. Or, as cheap as they are, just order one of the waterproof ones to begin with! :)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...erproof+gauge&rh=i:aps,k:12v+waterproof+gauge

Another option is to use apply a layer of Dielectric grease over the circuit board. A little messier but it is non-conductive and has a melting point of about 400°F.

EDIT: On further thought, forget using J.B. Weld - not sure but there may be metal particles in it which may make it conductive and if so, could short out the board. I think Epoxy would be OK 'cause I've seen electronic components encased in it before. Not sure about Silicon - might want to put a drop on your bench, let it set up then and test it with a meter set on continuity.

Reactions: mustangwagz
#8 ·
You could apply some silicone, epoxy, or even J.B. Weld over the circuit board but quite frankly, I would put in just like it is. If it does burn out, order one of these to replace it with - I think the hole sizes are the same. Or, as cheap as they are, just order one of the waterproof ones to begin with! :)
Amazon.com: 12v waterproof gauge
Im probably not the first to realize you are a wise and helpful man Forde. I looked at the link, and wondered why didn't I think of that. Then I thought I'll just return this $8.60 piece and buy the $9.99 weatherproof. Amazon wants $6.50 postage to return it, so, for the second time tonight, you are correct. I'll slather it up with some silicone sealant and install. If it burns out, I'll get the one you linked for 10 bucks. Thanks man...

#9 ·
I nearly did the same thing! I was set to order the same one you got when I accidently ran across the waterproof ones! Chances are the one you got will be just fine - not much water gets up behind the dash - unless you start riding with LittleBigRancher! :glee:

#10 ·
HAHA! True story! When i hear about ppl swamping or mudbogging or submerging their machines, LBR comes to mind right away. Dont even know the guy in person, but he's always the one who's neck deep in stink mud! Great Call Forde!

#12 ·
If there is a hobby shop in your area which sells model cars, etc.., go there. They sell sheets of styrene plastic, like model kits are made of, and also have different shapes of stock, such as squares, tubes, angles, etc.. Cut some strips of the styrene to make a back for your meter, glue it with model glue, add some braces from the stock pieces. Should be fairly cheap and fun to do.

#15 ·

I made my own holder for my wireless street legal kit. I used a thin piece of aluminum and cut it out to hold the controller. I used the factory screw holes that hold in the dash to hold it in place.

Reactions: RedBeard
#16 ·
this is my install

Attachments

Reactions: RedBeard
#18 ·
i have a plug in meter, but its not stable enough to leave in while plowing, so i went with this dash mount. Thanks for the ideas.

#20 ·
I did get this installed a few months ago. Very easy to see day and night. Useful yesterday while plowing, saw minimal voltage drop operating the Boss V-plow. $$$ and effort well spent.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.