PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flooded Timber hunt - to be exact.

Hey all you guys that have hunted ducks know you can never get where you want without knowing somebody. I know that all too well. So here's the deal. My son is getting out of the US Navy in about 3 weeks - served 5 years in the SeaBees. I have tried a few times unsuccessfully the last few years to get he and I in on a flooded timber hunt, somewhere that has lots of ducks. I've even tried to plan a self guided trip, but was told that is a dangerous thing to do from an out-of-staters point of view. Seems the locals in the swamps don't like vistors in their water holes, and will make you wish you hadn't showed up if they see your truck or boat in the parking lot over night. Enough to scare me, as I have a lot invested in gear and don't play that way to others.

What I'm looking for is a connection that I can make from referrals you may have used, or know of, to book a flooded timber hunt in the south, from Missouri to Arkansas, in 2015-16. I'm not opposed to guided hunts, but I do have my own gear if it's needed. Even getting in on a group hunt is ok. I've googled and looked at and spoke to several over the last few years, but they end up not working out, aren't quite what we hoped for, or didn't feel right.

Any tips, references, and invites are appreciated, and welcomed.

Reactions: Davbro

·
Registered
616 Posts
Flooded Timber hunt - to be exact.

Hey all you guys that have hunted ducks know you can never get where you want without knowing somebody. I know that all too well. So here's the deal. My son is getting out of the US Navy in about 3 weeks - served 5 years in the SeaBees. I have tried a few times unsuccessfully the last few years to get he and I in on a flooded timber hunt, somewhere that has lots of ducks. I've even tried to plan a self guided trip, but was told that is a dangerous thing to do from an out-of-staters point of view. Seems the locals in the swamps don't like vistors in their water holes, and will make you wish you hadn't showed up if they see your truck or boat in the parking lot over night. Enough to scare me, as I have a lot invested in gear and don't play that way to others.

What I'm looking for is a connection that I can make from referrals you may have used, or know of, to book a flooded timber hunt in the south, from Missouri to Arkansas, in 2015-16. I'm not opposed to guided hunts, but I do have my own gear if it's needed. Even getting in on a group hunt is ok. I've googled and looked at and spoke to several over the last few years, but they end up not working out, aren't quite what we hoped for, or didn't feel right.

Any tips, references, and invites are appreciated, and welcomed.
Lots of great places in Arkansas such as Five Oaks in Humphrey AR 5 Oaks Duck Lodge :: Duck Hunting, Arkansas Duck Hunting, Duck Lodges, Five Oaks, 5-oaks, Ducks, Hunting Arkansas, Arkansas Outfitters, Arkansas Guided  Duck Hunts, Guided Hunts, Hunting Arkansas, corporate retreats, executive retreats, special event

I haven't been there in a number of years, but it was great every time I went.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at them and didn't work out, for timing and cost. I feel if they don't want to publicize their rates, it's more than I can afford. They use a marketing plan that seems secretive to the consumer, leading me to think it's not a good option. Thanks for that tip though, keep em coming.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
are there any places you can do it yourself public land ect. T&S my buddy is a big duck hunter I never have

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are there any places you can do it yourself public land ect. T&S my buddy is a big duck hunter I never have
There probably are, but that is what I referred to in my OP. Some say even public land gets claimed by locals, and they turn it into their own private lease... so to say. Reports of slashed tires at the boat ramp, gear stolen, boats stolen, even dogs stolen from the trucks at motel lots. I am not saying this is always the case, and that's why I am wanting some first hand knowledge from the friendly hunters out there. I simply want to do a father and son trip without issues such as the horror stories I've heard of.

I know the mentality of our PRC Forum group members, and don't think I'd be led astray from someone here, so I thought I'd ask. I trust that if it's meant to happen, it will.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
really sad people are monsters some of them wow now I,am glad I don't duck hunt thanks for info T&S

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
really sad people are monsters some of them wow now I,am glad I don't duck hunt thanks for info T&S
I'll never duck hunt unless it's on private land. Seen to many fights and burning of people's blinds...etc them duck hunters are cra cra

I'm what Willis was talking about....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Come up here and hunt some corn field's.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not all duck hunters are like that. In my state we seldom find ourselves arguing over a spot to hunt, cuz there aren't any spots worth arguing for I guess.

I really hunt for the time and the chase, not necessarily the kill. And putting birds in my dogs mouth is the bonus. I really like to let others shoot, and my dog will fetch em up. It's always impressive, and that's where the pleasure is for me... handling my dog to the prize.

Reactions: Mtjag

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have hunted corn fields, they are all around my property, and have hunted big flocks in North Dakota. Always wanted the standing flooded timber hunt,,, sorta my bucket list while my girl is in her prime...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm sure we can find some flooded timber Maine is 3/4 water.:encouragement:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have hunted corn fields, they are all around my property, and have hunted big flocks in North Dakota. Always wanted the standing flooded timber hunt,,, sorta my bucket list while my girl is in her prime...
John,
I'm originally from Louisiana and hunting flooded timber is sweet as I've done it for over 40 years. I moved up here to Colorado about eight years ago and of course, there is no flooded timber to hunt...and very few ducks (in the mountains though you can find some on the front range). If you can find a slough someplace nearby, preferably not far off a major river, that has some duck weed, you would likely get enough wood ducks and gadwalls to make for a good hunt. Of course wood ducks don't really work a call, but gadwalls will. And you might even get some mallards and teal. Alternatively, you can do a search on the web for outfitters near you and pay for a hunt.

Reactions: JJaxon

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem paying for a hunt, and that's my first choice above self guided in a strange place. I just don't want to go by a website and what they say they offer. Hoping as the season nears someone on here will speak up about a great place they've used and recommend. My son is 23 and soon will be finding other things to do besides hunt with dad. Getting out of the Navy and jumping into civilian life can take him many different directions... so I gota get my chance while I can. 5 Oaks is an option still.

Reactions: Mtjag

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have no problem paying for a hunt, and that's my first choice above self guided in a strange place. I just don't want to go by a website and what they say they offer. Hoping as the season nears someone on here will speak up about a great place they've used and recommend. My son is 23 and soon will be finding other things to do besides hunt with dad. Getting out of the Navy and jumping into civilian life can take him many different directions... so I gota get my chance while I can. 5 Oaks is an option still.
I totally understand about your son. Duck hunting was the glue for many years with my son and I am thankful we had all the opportunities to hang out at the duck camp, hunt flooded timber, work on pumps and levees and generally just do stuff together. In a large part, it's one of the reasons we are so close now that he is 29. There were some tough years between 16-22, but we always were able to set it aside for the birds. There are many good outfitters out there and I'm certain you will find one. I have some friends in central Arkansas and will see what I can find out from them as well, but southern Illinois where you are from has some pretty good duck hunting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally understand about your son. Duck hunting was the glue for many years with my son and I am thankful we had all the opportunities to hang out at the duck camp, hunt flooded timber, work on pumps and levees and generally just do stuff together. In a large part, it's one of the reasons we are so close now that he is 29. There were some tough years between 16-22, but we always were able to set it aside for the birds. There are many good outfitters out there and I'm certain you will find one. I have some friends in central Arkansas and will see what I can find out from them as well, but southern Illinois where you are from has some pretty good duck hunting.
Yes it does, and thank you for the follow up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
let me ask my buddy from north Dakota he hunted ducks all his life before deer hunting T&S never mind he does not have e-mail no more

·
Registered
204 Posts
John, come up to Minnesota I have land with a bunch of sloughs on them. The ducks and geese are everywhere.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump. Looking for options, thanx for the replies.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you are willing to drive a bit Fish Point Lodge on Saginaw Bay. It's roughly $170 a night with dinner, lodging and a blind w/ decoys. Do not believe it is guided but they transport you to the blind. The Bay is near the Michigan Thumb. A friend of mine is going this week. On a side note He owns a reasonably priced pheasant preserve near Cabelas in southeast Michigan. Bear Creek Hunt Club near Clayton, Michigan. This is would be on the route back to Indiana. Just some thoughts.

Another idea is Fish Point along With Harsens Island which are state managed waterfowl areas with managed hunt zones. (Different dorm Fish Point Lodge) These 2 places have have lottery systems which are daily draws. You show up in the morning and they draw for spots. Flooded corn, marsh areas. You need your own equipment at the refuge and its luck of the draw.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Mike. I'll look into that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts