PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a 2005 Polaris Ranger 700efi xp. Its over heating when I go any faster then 20mph it overheats and looses power. I took it to my local Polaris dealer they ran some tests and said there's nothing wrong with the fuel management system and there isn't any cracks on or around the throttle body or boot. They told me that there's one hell of a loud whining noise coming from either the tranny or the rear diff. They can't tell me anything more unless they take it apart. My question is I guess, if the tranny or diff spun a bearing or a gear or bearing isn't working right and is grinding would that make the motor over heat? they said they did a bunch of different tests and they can't find out why its over heating. so if they can't find out why I'm never going to be able to fix it and I'm screwed. I payed good money for this and just want to fix it I don't get how an actual polaris mechanic can't find the problem. please any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Administrator
6,987 Posts
No Dur, a bearing in the trans or rear will not make the engine over heat Did the Einsteins at the dealer do a leak test or at least a compression test ? Test the coolant for a head gasket leak ? anything ?

Does the fan even come on when the engine warms up ?

Did the dealer check for circulation in the radiator ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a compression test and its at 205 on both pistons. they did a fuel pressure test and its right at 39psi. I don't know if they did a leak test. They said the fan turned on and off like its supposed to. they also checked the wiring harness and it's fine.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,637 Posts
You might have a combination of problems; engine and clutching. Just as jungleman stated, a head gasket leak will cause overheating. I suggest a cylinder leak down test (more comprehensive than a simple compression test) and a test for exhaust gasses in the radiator/cooling system. If overheating is causing your computer to reduce power to save the engine it may be that your water pump isn't working properly. If your "power loss" is due to a problem with the clutch it shouldn't cause overheating, however clutch problems can "feel' like a power loss.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Administrator
6,987 Posts
Dural, someone needs to check the radiator . Cap off, let it warm up so the stat opens and peer down the open hole and watch for water circulating in and out.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey could you guys make me a list of things for them to look at or that they should have already looked over? I'm on my way to get it in about an hour...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dural, someone needs to check the radiator . Cap off, let it warm up so the stat opens and peer down the open hole and watch for water circulating in and out.
I got it back they said that they checked over everything to do with the fuel system and they made sure the rad was flowing properly and the fan was going on and off as it should. They said they ran a series of tests and everything looks fine. I drove it for 15 minutes and it bogged out. I don't know what to look for next.

·
Administrator
6,987 Posts
It would be good to know what the fuel pressure was when it "bogged out". You need to change the TBAP harness..
Some symptoms of a bad T-Bap harness are engine will run poorly, no power, poor idle and engine miss. This will be very noticeable when riding in changing elevations.

This harness will fit all Polaris EFI 700cc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would be good to know what the fuel pressure was when it "bogged out". You need to change the TBAP harness..
Some symptoms of a bad T-Bap harness are engine will run poorly, no power, poor idle and engine miss. This will be very noticeable when riding in changing elevations.

This harness will fit all Polaris EFI 700cc

So they said that they checked the tbap and it was fine I don't know how they checked it but I guess they have a method. Is there something else I can check or replace? also is it possible for it to not be an overheating problem and something else? it looses power when I run it faster then 20mph for about 15 to 20mins then it just bogs down and when I try to give it some throttle it back fires and last time I let it idle after it bogged and it spit and sputtered a bit and then stalled. any more help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time so far!!

·
Administrator
6,987 Posts
D, according to the stealership, your Ranger is in tip top shape............. drive.... enjoy.....be happy.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,637 Posts
Seems to me you could go to the dealership and have them ride with you for 15 minutes and let them see what's happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D, according to the stealership, your Ranger is in tip top shape............. drive.... enjoy.....be happy.
I wish that was the case but every time I go for a ride after about 20 minutes it looses power and if I try and give it some gas to go it just backfires and barely moves and like I said if I let it idle and sit to cool down it spits and sputters and sometimes dies. There missing something and it sucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got it back they said that they checked over everything to do with the fuel system and they made sure the rad was flowing properly and the fan was going on and off as it should. They said they ran a series of tests and everything looks fine. I drove it for 15 minutes and it bogged out. I don't know what to look for next.
Howdy,

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but the first thing I would look for is another mechanic! Overheating can be caused by so many different things from the water pump and thermostat to the radiator fins being plugged and everything in between!
You need to know if it is actually overheating, and that would be the temperature gauge. What is the temperature when it starts bogging out? What is the temperature in the radiator compared to the temperature gauge?

At this point it sound like neither you or the mechanic know if it is actually overheating or something else is going on, like a vapor lock is causing the engine to run rough.

Since you don't have a good place to take it, unless you have unlimited funds, start using Google, YouTube and any other source of information including PRC and start the process of elimination. It starts at the radiator cap! Everything the rest of us tell you is at best, a guess!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you checked your engine oil level? I had installed an oil pressure gauge on my '05 700XP years ago and it developed an oil leak at the fitting. Mine acted the exact the same way when computer was putting in limp mode because of low oil pressure.

·
Administrator
6,987 Posts
Sorry fat but there is no "limp mode" on a 700 Polaris other than over revving and on the 2009 there is a restriction if the parking brake is not disengaged but checking the oil level is always a good idea.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Have you checked your engine oil level? I had installed an oil pressure gauge on my '05 700XP years ago and it developed an oil leak at the fitting. Mine acted the exact the same way when computer was putting in limp mode because of low oil pressure.
I've seen this as well. The ECU has no idea what the oil pressure or level is but the lifters do. Low oil pressure causes the lifters on 700 and 800s to collapse and not fully open the valves making it seem like its in some sort of limp mode.

Recently had a 500 6x6 that would start and idle perfectly but had no power. The exhaust lobe on the cam was gone and not open the exhaust valve fully, same principal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts