PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 ranger crew starts right up and drives great til it gets warmed up then with gas pedal mashed it just loses rpms and speed for no reason. Have checked fuel pressure and it stays at 48 psi even when problem starts so I have ruled out fuel pump. Replaced both spark plugs and drive belt but problem persists. No check engine light or anything. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
112 Posts
Has it ever been overheated or run with not enough oil? Internal engine damage could have occurred that causes extra friction when hot. Could be an issue with the oil pressure regulator, but I think that the regulator issue was with the 700/800 engine, iirc yours has a 900.

Air (in and out), fuel, spark, compression.
Check the air filters, check the muffler isn't clogged (there are clean-out ports, I haven't tried using them...).
Fuel: injectors might be getting weak, and worse with heat.
Spark: coil pack might be getting weak, and worse with heat.
Compression: if you have the tool, worth doing a compression and leak-down test.

Transmission/differentials:
Have you checked the oil in the trans and diffs recently? Without enough oil, extra heat could be causing things to bind up. Any difference in 1/2/4wd?

Belt:
If the air intake or exhaust are blocked, it might be getting roasted, but you probably would know based on the old belt's condition. I don't know enough about CVTs to know what in there might not like heat... all original weights and springs?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
????????? duplicate OP ?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ray, your brother is a "mechanic "...........he knows.......

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
112 Posts
I really need to install an oil pressure gauge. These engines aren't cheap.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I 100% agree with that. I haven't figured out where a port to attach a sending unit is on my 570.

Just looked at a Service manual and found the port on the back side of the oil filter base. I don't know whether the thread is metric or US Pipe.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
There is a blind plug on the cylinder head for the pressure test on the 500. 20psi at 5500rpm 12psi minimum. Bought 30psi gauge and line, but have yet to install it... Since my oil line to reservoir being pulled off by a stick. Always watching for sticks on drivers side.😳

1 - 11 of 11 Posts