PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

loss of electrical power

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Knut 
#1 ·
2016 ranger crew 900. First my eps light came on, then engine shut off. I got it started ,took it home. Now I have no trans indicator, lights, cranking, headlights, or any accessories When I turn the key on I do have lights on the speedo gauge and all warning lights come on normal then cycles needle normally and then eps and engine light stay on. And that is all. Any help Is appreciated.

#3 ·
2016 ranger crew 900. First my eps light came on, then engine shut off. I got it started ,took it home. Now I have no trans indicator, lights, cranking, headlights, or any accessories When I turn the key on I do have lights on the speedo gauge and all warning lights come on normal then cycles needle normally and then eps and engine light stay on. And that is all. Any help Is appreciated.
No it has never been wet I will check the connections for corrosion but the battery is only 6 months old and they still look like new

#4 ·
Bad chassis grounds can cause loss of electrical power. The chassis grounds may be on the right side of the vehicle under the passenger seat to the left of the battery. That connection is down low where it can easily get wet even by going through puddles during or after a rain. Given that probably the last time that connection had any attention was 2016 it's possible the rust/corrosion has built up. There are several wires connected to the chassis at that point. I suggest removing the wires, cleaning the connections spraying with Boeshield or a similar product and reinstalling to see if power is restored. A simple external examination of the connections isn't sufficient.

Reactions: Jungleman
#6 ·
At this point I don't think there is any "easy" fix. Nothing to do but begin testing. You mighty start with swapping out some relays with a known good one. Relays are inexpensive and that's an easy troubleshoot technique. Also check fuses/breakers. Also be certain to check the starter relay and associate connections. You owner's manual will have locations of most. I also suggest obtaining a digital Service Manual available as a download.

If that doesn't fix the problem I start inspecting wiring harnesses and connectors looking for damage or corroded/burned connectors. Pull each connector apart inspect, carefully clean without bending pins, apply dialectic grease and reassemble, including connectors to the ECM. Next check the ignition switch with an ohmmeter. If still no joy the rest is just work using a tester and wire tracing.

#13 ·
Sorry yes I got it fixed . Replaced every circuit breaker and everything worked. But Don't know if the fan kicked on then we have not had it out till the other day when it got hot and noticed no fan. Do you know which circuit breaker is for the fan? Not realy marked. Thank you got the help

#17 ·
From the service manual-

FUSE BOX: FUSES / RELAYS / CIRCUIT BREAK SERVICE
OVERVIEW / OPERATION
Located in the fuse box under the passenger seat, the fuses provide overload protection for wiring and components
such as the instrument cluster, ECU, EFI system, main harness, lights and accessories. The relays assist with
component operation like the cooling fan, fuel pump, EFI system, and drive system. A separate 20-amp circuit breaker,
located near the fuse/relay box, protects the fan motor circuit.

There is just one circuit breaker for the fan