PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from the engine area. Can Not detect where it is coming from with hearing aids. Don't get louder but gets faster with engine speed. Kind of sounds like one of the old kids toy cricket clickers. Started suddenly. Not sure if it is from the engine or the clutch/drive area. Any suggestions where a likely place would be to start looking. This is a 04 Ranger 500 .

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,767 Posts
I think you already named the place to start, or at least where I would start.... pull the clutch cover and inspect the clutch, primary and secondary, and belt. If the belt is the one for '04 it may be coming apart and brushing the inside of the cover.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does sound like it could be a belt fragement slapping the cover. Will check that out first. Thanks much for the info. Another example where hearing aid are not the cure all for hearing problems. Can hear sound great, just don't know where it is coming from.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
When you hear the noise....apply some brake and see if it stops. Sloppy rear pads make a he'll of a racket if not adjusted.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
It does sound like it could be a belt fragement slapping the cover. Will check that out first. Thanks much for the info. Another example where hearing aid are not the cure all for hearing problems. Can hear sound great, just don't know where it is coming from.
Both my parents have hearing aids and both still have trouble hearing various things. If hearing loss is the biggest of your troubles as you age consider yourself fortunate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AT 81 I feel very fortunate in being able to do many of the things I want, juns not a long or as often. Still climb the ladder to my deer stand when I want. Take the grand kids for a ride in the Ranger when they get the chance to visit. There are still some sounds I don't hear but the biggest issue is what direction it is coming from. Due for a new test and set of aids again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I found the problem this morning. Removed the big mud flap behind the battery box, then removed the battery for access to the clutch cover. Pulled the clutch air duct out and looked in the air cover hole. Belt looks like it has flipped over ? Cogs are on the top side. Got stuff out of the way and bunch of dust/dirt blew off so ready for the cover removal come Saturday. I have a new belt on hand so after some other checking with the clutches, etc. Should have it back going again Sunday morning.

Did some looking on the net and found there are some belts that have cogs on both sides. ?? Polaris RZR is one. Other were on Kawi 4X4, etc. Will know more when I get into it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
AT 81 I feel very fortunate in being able to do many of the things I want, juns not a long or as often. Still climb the ladder to my deer stand when I want. Take the grand kids for a ride in the Ranger when they get the chance to visit. There are still some sounds I don't hear but the biggest issue is what direction it is coming from. Due for a new test and set of aids again.
My dad is 93 and still going strong. I finally got him to stop climbing ladders a few months ago after he fell and ended up with a bad head injury (subdural hematoma) and recovered after they bored holes in his skull to relieve pressure on the brain. Now he's back to his normal staying busy but a little more careful and taking it slower. Live healthy, exercise and eat right and you might make 100!

RE: Belt flipped - Just as BP states (he knows his stuff), there are cogs on the top of the belt so the appearance of "cogs" doesn't mean anything. You'll have to pull the cover and inspect the belt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize that any V type belt regardless of width will grip on the sides, not the bottom or top. I have never ran into a belt with cogs on both sides. Thanks for the clarification. Live and learn I guess. My replacement belt is smooth on the top and cogs on the bottom. My type of use very seldom uses High range, maybe 6 times a year. Rock roads are to dusty for high speed. Low of less than half throttle is 90% of my driving so air through that intake and tube is minimal with little cooling effect. Very seldom have I heard the fan run.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will have to check. Bought it a couple years ago right after I got this machine figuring I would need. This machine was used very hard for snow removal. Had several issues but bought it right knowing its problems. Never has run on the OEM carb, even after 3 rebuilds. Runs great on a aftermarket ( Yea I know go ahead - I have tough skin). Rear brakes had no rotors, etc. etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
27°F this morning and colder in the shop so won't be working on anything out there for a couple hours. Haven't looked at the new belt yet either. I have bought all my belts from one implement place in town that has a good inventory or belts and most all are Kevlar. Special ordered this one. NAPA Store is the usual "I can have it here in the morning" line. Can carry his inventory out in one trip. Plus I get a price break and no tax

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Clutch cover is off. Belt is good, well within specs. Has a little more deflection than specs, about 1-3/8". Width is 1.192 as close as I could measure it on the high side of the cog. Rolled the driven pulley over several times and heard nothing. Turned smooth and no play. Pulled the plug and turned the clutch over. Heard that click about every 3rd of a turn. The movable part of the clutch that has the shift weights attached does not fit tight against the outside of the clutch tight. I snugged the 6 bolts down a bit and did not help. I can grasp one of the three arms, for lack of the proper term, that the bolts go in from the outside of the clutch and move it slightly and make that clicking sound. I think I need the clutch rebuilt or replaced. Any thoughts on this? This clutch looks a whole lot like the ones on the snow machines 40+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The fly weights will have movement without the motor running and centrifugal force swinging them out. They are not tight against the rollers on the spider at rest and will clink when rotating by hand.

Jack the back of the machine up and check the wheel bearings and axle shafts for slop. See if you can get it to make the noise on jack stands.

Any noise in the clutches would be more of a rapid clicking...and anything in the drive line would mor follow tire rotation.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The clicking was present with the machine stopped and engine idling. Would increase with engine speed in neutral. Will check those back axles and wheel bearings.. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Is the noise louder with your clutch cover off? Would seem with the cover off the noise Would be more pronounced.

It's very possible being its an 04...that the buttons in the secondary are shot and bouncing around back there.

If it is one of the clutches. Guys have been having good luck with the ebay knock offs. Would go that route before trying or paying to have the original rebuilt.

I believe Jungleman has the ebay seller info if it ends up needing a clutch.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Part #17 are the buttons. They can come apart and rattle around. Might explain the belt deflection. Belt should run flush with the top of the secondary.
Font Motor vehicle Auto part Parallel Art

1 - 20 of 33 Posts