PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my ranger in last week for a problem with my low range. Every once and a while in low range it would act like the gears were not catching. I had a member pm me about his doing the same thing. He took his in and his dealer changed his whole trans/rear end. I took mine in because I am close to the end of the warranty. I called the dealer today and they are now taking my trans apart. I am not sure when I will find out if they will replace parts or the whole trans. It sounds like there might be a problem, so if you have a 2010 ranger and you have a low range problem, you might want to get it to your dealer.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hear anything new on this problem? I think mine might be doing something similiar. I just got a 2010 800 xp and have less than 9 hours on it. The machine has only done it a few times and thought maybe I was doing something wrong when shifting into low gear. It will show that low gear was selected but when you give it gas it is like it is in neutral but as the engine revs down it will make a grinding sound and than kick into low gear. I havent tried adjusting the cable, but didnt think a new machine would require adjustments to something as important as the transmission.

·
Registered
188 Posts
mossman381 said:
Here is the original thread http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28136&highlight . I adjusted my cable and that was not the problem.
Any news on this???...I've got a simular problem. I have minamal miles on this and now with plowing every few days going from reverse to low it's like nothings there...it revs a little and when it idles down it grinds and goes into gear...if I patiently sit and wait when I shift back into low it won't do it...

I did notice that when shifting from reverse to low, the little 4 wheel drive indicator flashes once or twice...can't remeber right now, but if you wait for it to stop, it's usually fine...is this normal?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry, also if I try the cable adjustment before heading to the dealer (you would think this new wouldn't require it) how do you know how far to adjust it to?

Thanks...

·
Registered
93 Posts
We had our 2010 for 2 weeks now and have plowed snow about a half dozen times or so and it had this problem also, one time that I know of, because I was using it when it did it. I sure hope it don't turn into a problem. I always try to be careful and sure when I shift it. We all need to keep this topic going.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ddavel said:
We had our 2010 for 2 weeks now and have plowed snow about a half dozen times or so and it had this problem also, one time that I know of, because I was using it when it did it. I sure hope it don't turn into a problem. I always try to be careful and sure when I shift it. We all need to keep this topic going.
Does yours flash the 4 wheel drive indicator? It doesn't seem normal to me to have to wait for it to stop, but this is my first Ranger so who knows...

·
Registered
93 Posts
MBRP Tech said:
ddavel said:
Does yours flash the 4 wheel drive indicator? It doesn't seem normal to me to have to wait for it to stop, but this is my first Ranger so who knows...
No - I never seen the 4x indicator blink on ours. I always try to give it about one solid second to go in after I shift it before I hit the gas, and like I said it only did this once so far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ddavel said:
MBRP Tech said:
ddavel said:
No - I never seen the 4x indicator blink on ours. I always try to give it about one solid second to go in after I shift it before I hit the gas, and like I said it only did this once so far.
I do the same...wait for a couple of seconds and then shift...sometimes lately it still does it...hopefully someone has some answers...my dealer is 40 mins away and I bought this to plow with...not wrench on...besides this issue, it's been awesome.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Glad you guys posted this. Mine is three months old, and has done this as well, but only twice now in 1131 miles. The last time was on Christmas Eve day when I shifted into low to drive it up on my trailer. I was up against the ramps when I gave is some gas and it just sat there, grinding.

I thought I had it half-way between gears, so a put it in reverse, backed-up about 6 inches, shifted back into low, and up she went with no problems. (Operator head-space is not unheard of for me).

It does seems to kind of wind up and pop into gear now when it's cold unless I push down the gas pedal ever-so-gently until it catches. Once it's warmed up, it runs like a scalded ape.

I'm keeping my eyes on this post as well. Who knows where this is going. Thanks guys. Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I guess that seeing this post tonight was a lucky thing for me...I thought it was just mine that was doing this. Bill, did you adjust your cable yet?

I see others have tried that but haven't really said if it helped...I'm going to check out mine tomorrow night when I get home from work...just to see maybe...got to start somewhere...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No I haven't Jeff. But I've taken off the mudblockers and skid plate for a good cleaning and a complete fluid change starting tomorrow, so I will just add that to the list. While I'm at it, I will inspect the belt and clutches just to see if there is any debris starting to accumulate.

Until now, I just thought I had HUA (rectal-cranial insertion), thinking it was something I did.

My guess would be that if the cable was far enough out of adjustment to cause the grinding, then the grinding would occur more consistently. It seems from reading this thread that the events are random, few, and far between. And why only 2010's? Must be something specific to the 800 Ranger configuration or the RZR's would be doing it to.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they have found. I too though that I was putting the shifter in between the gears. But after making sure that I was in low and it still happened, I knew I was not causing the problem. It is very random and only happens in low. That pretty much says that it is not a cable adjustment problem. I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MBRP Tech said:
ddavel said:

My 4 wheel drive indicator doesnt flash, but it disappears when you shift into neutral or are just passing neutral as in shifting between reverse and low(which you do alot of when plowing snow). It then reappears when you shift into the next gear. This is my first Ranger also, so I hope this isnt a huge problem. The problem I see is since it happens so randomly it wont show its ugly head when taken to the dealer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
mossman381 said:
Guys, I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they have found. I too though that I was putting the shifter in between the gears. But after making sure that I was in low and it still happened, I knew I was not causing the problem. It is very random and only happens in low. That pretty much says that it is not a cable adjustment problem. I will keep you guys updated.

Let us know what he says please...I'm calling my dealer tomorrow and see if he's heard anything about this...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine will do this too but only if i try to shift before the motor idles down i dont think this is anything to worry about but i will keep a eye on this thread anyways.......... :?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
akextreme said:
Mine will do this too but only if i try to shift before the motor idles down i dont think this is anything to worry about but i will keep a eye on this thread anyways.......... :?
I have no problem getting it into low range. The problem happens when you try to take off after shifting it into gear.

1 - 20 of 350 Posts