PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

301 - 320 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
collinator said:
Update. 2010 XP800 w/780 miles. Not a problem. Does it grind 1 out of 10 times?? Sure it does, only when I don't engage it properly..........It's a myth, IMO, operator-error.............
No other place to post...bored? If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it ... I feel like I'm talking to my kids.

·
Registered
147 Posts
collinator said:
IMO, operator-error.............
Ya, maybe you are operating it incorrectly. Up where I live we get in the neighborhood of 12 to 14 feet of snow every winter. Plowing that much snow equals a lot of shifting from low to reverse back to low. Since my dealer did the fix I have not had the low gear grind. Zero issues. Glad I got it done and my dealer, a sponsor here, was so good to work with.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
collinator said:
Update. 2010 XP800 w/780 miles. Not a problem. Does it grind 1 out of 10 times?? Sure it does, only when I don't engage it properly..........It's a myth, IMO, operator-error.............
Not sure why you would post this up and confuse people. It is a REAL problem with a real solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
collinator said:
wow...pages of people with problems, a new part number from polaris, and then post this???

·
Registered
6 Posts
My "myth" or "operator's error" went away immediatley after they fixed my "myth" What is the real skill level required to shift from low to high or to reverse properly? Don't read this post and think this problem is a myth and accept it. It can be fixed and is being fixed no matter what your dealer or any other members say. I have personally looked at the replacement part and the part it replaced and there is a chamfer on the new part for a reason - for ease of engagement maybe? Why would Polaris have created a new part if there wasn't a problem? This is not mine or others opinion but demonstratable and easily provable facts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mine will be fixed as soon as the snow melts and I can get it out of my basement.... My dealer already got the approval to warranty it and the parts are in he is waiting on me....Originally Polaris said he had to take the tranny apart to see if anything was wrong with the gear I told him BS and referred him here and he referred the Polaris guy here and they sad OK you arre right we will fix it..... I ain't in no hurry cause I am still snowmobiling on my Polaris Snowmobiles..... Polaris The Way Out!!!!! :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine is in being fixed as we speak. Polaris is covering it.
Thanks to all for giving us the solution to the problem, it has been a great annoyance since day one.
There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge here!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
zrated said:
Mine is in being fixed as we speak. Polaris is covering it.
Thanks to all for giving us the solution to the problem, it has been a great annoyance since day one.
There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge here!
Glad to help John :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
collinator said:
That's pretty harsh brother! Sort of makes us all out to be idiots. Maybe you haven't had the issue, but look at how many others have! FYI: Mine was fixed several months ago, under warranty, and with the new Polaris part number. Oh, and I haven't had the issue since the repair either. How's that for a mythbuster? C'mon Jimbo.... that comment just wasn't right.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Arizona Flying Dutchman said:
Maybe you haven't had the issue, but look at how many others have!
I have to agree that the problem is legit'. My '06 and several other Rangers that I've driven have NEVER made a grinding noise going into gear. If it's doing that (unless you're trying to shift before coming to a stop), something is wrong. JMO :wink:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
low gear

my 2010 hd has almost 300 hrs on it & only one time have i had this occur most of my driving is in 1 wheel drive & i drive in the texas hill country very rugged hardley need 4 wheel or low unless iam pulling or wanting to cruise slow but only once hooking up my welder Trog :twisted:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Re: low gear

trog said:
my 2010 hd has almost 300 hrs on it & only one time have i had this occur most of my driving is in 1 wheel drive & i drive in the texas hill country very rugged hardley need 4 wheel or low unless iam pulling or wanting to cruise slow but only once hooking up my welder Trog :twisted:
Maybe the HD's where made later with the new gear. If you have the gear problem it will happen more than once. Unless you never use low range. :)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
2010 hd low gear

well i rode around in low most of the morning never missed a lick even felt stronger as i goosed it & let off many times rode for at least two miles but nothing thank god i think people are pushing & pulling to hard on the shifters & bending the shift dogs ( forks) Trog i always try to let mine push or pull without putting alot of pressure you know hit the pedal & let off when she idles back down it will shift easier :twisted:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Re: 2010 hd low gear

trog said:
well i rode around in low most of the morning never missed a lick even felt stronger as i goosed it & let off many times rode for at least two miles but nothing thank god i think people are pushing & pulling to hard on the shifters & bending the shift dogs ( forks) Trog i always try to let mine push or pull without putting alot of pressure you know hit the pedal & let off when she idles back down it will shift easier :twisted:
Your not going to get it to do this problem by goosing it and letting off. This problem only occurs when you shift from high to low or revers to low. It will happen as soon as you hit the gas to go in low. It has nothing to do with shift forks. The low range gear needs a angle cut in it to allow the low ranger gear to engage the other gears smoothly.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
2010 hd

sorry but i am glad i can not get mine to slip or grind ever no matter how i shift or how much i change gears from any low high or reverse but again iam glad my 2010 hd was bought in april of 2010 so it was an early prodution ? Trog :twisted:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Re: 2010 hd

trog said:
sorry but i am glad i can not get mine to slip or grind ever no matter how i shift or how much i change gears from any low high or reverse but again iam glad my 2010 hd was bought in april of 2010 so it was an early prodution ? Trog :twisted:
Glad to hear you don't have the problem. I need to get a video of it. It is really hard to explain this problem with words. :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

trog said:
My 2010 was built 12/29/09 and it does it from time to time. Now that we've got close to 1000 miles of mostly low range riding it does it much, much, much, less than when it was new. :D It seems to still happen some for my wife, but I can't see where she's doing anything different from me.

What we are talking about only happens when you have been in one gear and shift to another. If it is going to happen it will do it WHEN YOU FIRST GIVE IT GAS after changing from one gear to another and only then.

The most common scenario goes like this. Your backing up, then come to a complete stop. The engine idles down to 1150 and you shift it up to low range. The shift lever is now in low and your still at idle, everything is fine. When you give it gas the engine just revs up like you are in neutral, then you hear the gear chatter. This "gear chatter" is what you would hear if you've ever driven a standard without a synchronizer on first gear, or an eighteen wheeler which has no synchronizer's at all, and try to shift without the engine and transmission rpms matched. Or a playing card clicking in bicycle spokes sort of sound. :) As soon as you realize it's not in gear, you yank your foot off the gas and let the engine RPM's fall. You can hear the chatter winding down and just as the gear stops spinning, it engages. You can now give it gas and go. :lol: To be honest, I think the reason it still does it with my wife more than me is because she is more cautious than I am now. She comes to much more of a complete stop and pauses more before shifting instead of just letting the rpm's fall. :roll: It is a real problem, but once I realized the cause, I didn't feel it was worth the trouble of having the gears replaced. We could ride all weekend and it might have done it once, so it wasn't aggravating or more important, embarrassing. :lol: and once the gear got a little wear it does it even less.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
My issue was simply this - annoying or not annoying, sounding like an old tranny without syncro, worth the effort to fix, or not, whatever, that's all a matter of someone's personal perspective and personal preference. You call it like you see it and act accordingly. There is no right or wrong answer - we all see it differently.

I don't know much, but I do know this..... it's a real problem that many of our members are experiencing; those that have gotten it replaced with the new part number have not ever had it happen again, and first and foremost is that metal grinding against metal is never good.

I can not ever even imagine a scenario where that kind of metal on metal sound would be OK, even only once in awhile. If you let something like that go, it's bound to have an impact somewhere down the line - most likely when it's out of warranty, that most likely will result in even more expensive repairs that I would wind up having to pay out of pocket. That thought alone made me want it taken care of immediately and I'm glad I did. JMHO

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
2010 hd

glad i can not get mine to do nothing but go when i shift & give it the gas thank god Trog hope you guys get it fixed :twisted:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #320

trog said:
glad i can not get mine to do nothing but go when i shift & give it the gas thank god Trog hope you guys get it fixed :twisted:
Polaris has a fix. They made a new gear that slides into gear easily :)

301 - 320 of 350 Posts