PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rotating tires on my 2017 570 Midsize crew ranger. Factory wheels and tires. While tightening the lug nut on the rear (hand tight with a socket wrench and socket) it broke loose and free. The nut does not appear to be stripped, but I can not back the nut off now either. It just keeps turning. Is it possible that I stripped the lug, or bolt? How can I fix this issue? I cant even get the tire or wheel off at this point. I did this to two of the lugs on the same wheel. The two good ones are able to back off, but the other two just keep turning. Can anybody provide some assistance? Is it common for this things to get stripped out? I appreciate any help any of you can provide. Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like the stud is stripped in the hub. I've had good luck removing the lugs on the bad studs by using an impact at a slight angle. Worse case would be removing the wheel, tire, and bearing carrier as a unit and tack welding the bad studs to a piece of steel. Just enough to hold them while the nuts are removed. You'll need a New hub regardless. Www.powersportsnation.com sells good, used hubs.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Whether it's stripped threads on the stud on nut or the stud is stripped in the hub, you may be able to remove the other nuts while the vehicle is on stands, and apply outward pressure (pull) on the tire wheel assembly opposite the problem stud which may apply side and outward pressure to create enough friction to hold the stud and force the threads to engage well enough to unscrew.
Another option would be to split the nut using either an air hammer and chisel or hammer and chisel. Once the nut is split you can peel it off the stud and then find out whether the stud, or hub are stripped and repalcec the necessary parts.

One other option is to grind the nut and stud to the half way point (half the diameter of the stud) then remove the other half of the nut. With this method plan on replacing the nut and stud at a minimum, check the hub splines where they interface the stud.

Another possibility is to take a cut off wheel and cut through the center of the stud and nut toward the wheel. When you get very close to the wheel stop cutting and use a chisel/hammer to break away the nut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts