PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 800 ranger xp eps. i have had to replace the lugs and the studs twice now. they keep getting stripped out. are there better then stock studs and lugs? if so i got to order then asap. we use this on the farm every day and we where going do the lane and the right rear wheel studs ripped off in the lug nuts. i am okay and thank god was close to the shop had to carry it back home on the skid loader.. anyone help me with this issue
thanks webb:mad-new:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That's definitely not a common issue, so I have to wonder if you have an aftermarket wheel that might require longer studs (maybe there's not enough thread engagement due to the thicker wheel?).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the itp ss212 what are the torque specs again. i am fixing it on tuesday thanks

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I torque mine to about 70 ft lbs......not sure what the factory spec' is. The bolt is only about 3/8", so torqueing them much higher than that could cause an issue.

I'd also check to see how much thread engagement you have with the wheel on. We install a LOT of custom wheels at my shop and, although very rare, I have ran across an occasional set where the lug holes were not bored deep enough into the wheel to allow enough thread engagement. I know a lot of members run the SS212 so the type of wheel isn't the problem, but that still doesn't mean that the bore depth is correct.

Reactions: johnson19

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
out of 5 rangers, I've never broken a stud, or stripped one.

They've all been steel wheels though... you've got something wrong with your setup.

As Jerry mentioned, maybe the stud it too short?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked at the threads this morning while i was in the shop taking everything apart and i have a little over half way down the studd to where it starts to mess up so i think that should be enough... this will be my fourth time doing this. im going to be trading it in on the 900 xp eps in feb so im going to put all new lugs and stud on it tomorrow and then just let it sit. i probably use my machine more then most people do. and i wouldnt say that it gets an easy life. thanks for all the help guys
webb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts