PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Ranger 900XP with 150 miles on it. It is equipped with the standard 26" tires and rims that come with the Limited Edition model. When I drive on hard packed snow covered gravel roads, the machine slides all over the place with only modest acceleration. It does this in either 2 or 4 wheel drive. Tire pressure is 7 pounds and is identical in all 4 tires. I'm 70 years old, and have driven in snowy conditions in Michigan pretty much all my life. As such, I understand and would expect the roads to be slippery. However, it is just crazy how dangerous this machine is. My previous Ranger was a 700, and I also currently own a Sportsman 850XP. These other machines perform significantly better in the same conditions. I recently drove the Sportsman 850 XP on the same road as I had just been down with the Ranger 900XP, and the Sportsman was way better in regard to staying in a straight line when you accelerate .
I don't know if the stock tires are just that bad in snow, or if there is some other issue. On dry roads, the machine performs perfectly. It doesn't pull to the side or do anything unusual .
Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your issue is a common complaint on this forum. You can use the search features to find some multi-page discussions. I think the fact that the rear tires must slip 1/5 turn before the fronts engage is a factor.

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an identical setup as yours, I run 10lbs in the front and 12 in the rear. I have little to no trouble in snow, but I seem to be in the minority from what I have read. The machine just does what it is supposed to do. Good luck, turf mode works well in light snow, much less chance of sliding out the rear end.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the 2015 midsize 570 crew eps and I've only had my machine slip sideways one time and that was going down a very steep hill in the snow in low range without throttle using engine braking. When it started to slip a little, I gave it some throttle it immediately straightened up. When I plow snow up hill with the blade angled, I've had it start to move in the direction of the blade angle, but quickly straighten up again. So, my point is that I'm not getting uncontrollable fish tailing, but I have experienced modest slips, then feel the front wheel vibration of gaining traction. When I am in snow, I do lock the front and rear diffs before I move the machine to ensure they are ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for referencing those threads. They were interesting to read. Actually, I wasn't aware of how the system worked. I thought I was engaging the front wheels as soon as I turned on the 4x4 switch. Based on what I read on the various posts, it seems that I'm really only running in two wheel drive until the rear wheels begin to slip. Oddly enough, I believe my Honda Pilot all wheel drive suv is designed to operate in a similar manner.The difference however is that it hardly ever slides side ways when you accelerate on a slippery surface. Admittedly, the Honda costs about twice as much, and weighs close to four times as much with bigger probably better tires. I guess that could be the explanation right there! I can't change the Polaris system, but now that I better understand the basic principal of how things are working, I intend to experiment with different tires, and differences in air pressure front to rear. I wonder if increasing the diameter of the front tires via higher air pressure would help or hurt the situation. My thought process is that when the fronts do engage, their larger diameter will increase the wheel speed thus insuring that they are "pulling" versus being "pushed" by the rear wheels. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Also, does anyone know of a good winter tire for a Ranger? I run Bridgestone Blizzacks on my pickup during the winter. They work great. Maybe I will need two sets of tires for the ranger...winter and summer?
Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah... After I wrote my earlier comments, I checked the Tire Rack website and saw that they had 215 x 15" that are 27" outside diameter. Just curious why you said that I could get some "car rims" with adapters. Is there anything different between a 15" car rim versus a 15" aftermarket wheel that fits the Ranger?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If chains are an option for you there cheaper than a set of tires.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome to Polaris on demand all wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Most on here just run them on the rear. Anything over 25mph on a slick back road my 800 gets squirrely too. Even with different tires on it. It does do better in 2wd than 4 in those situations.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Fred, be careful when approaching snowy/icy corners in "4x4" mode. It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I thought we were going off the road for sure.

I too want a fully engaged 4x4 system. Not this AWD baloney.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Chains..(ie:poor mans tracks)....work very good in the winter..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Has anyone tried running a separate switched 12v power supply to the front end? This would engage the front end whenever you wanted. With just a little thought you could wire it where you would have the option of running in factory AWD or true fulltime 4x4 mode...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.