PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 2015 Polaris Ranger XP 900 was new I purchased an aftermarket warrantee to maintain it as best I could. We do all our own services and keep a spread sheet of Ranger maintenance to include when I need to use the local dealership to assess the situation and problems.
Now my 5 year warrantee is about to expire. Is there something else that can be bought to help maintain my Ranger? The one dealership I spoke to would not talk about after warrantee coverage because I didn’t buy the Ranger from that dealership, however they did sell me the 5 year warrantee in 2015.
I guess my question is what can I get to cover the maintenance when the when my Polaris Total Protection plan expires or is there anything out there?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The guys at "Fix-My-Toys" may be able to help you out. Not only a sponsor here, but also a Polaris dealership in Michigan. They will generally try to help anybody any way they can. I believe the name of the dealership is "Bell Equipment", but I'm not sure. Good Luck.

Mike

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am gathering is that after my 5 year warranty protection play expires in March 2020 I am screwed. I haven't been able to find an affordable follow-on plan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Jaybey, if you have kept it serviced good, and it has not gave many issues in the past, I'd just ride it and not worry about it, my cousin got a 2011, he paid 1100 for service plan, never used it, now it's almost 10 years old, and he did put a fuel pump in this year,
So if you got a good one, I'd just enjoy it😀

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 2013 900xp plowing many snow storms every year and used around the property and have not had any major thing go wrong.
Oil changes and lube. Still has the original belt
Just drive sanely and keep all wheels some times on the ground.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I understand that some folks aren't mechanically inclined and that others just don't want to be bothered with performing their own repairs, or maybe their time is just too valuable to spend doing their own repairs (no sarcasm intended). I can imagine that a professional, for example, a doctor or an attorney, earns far more in an hour working at their profession than they would save performing their own repairs so it just makes sense to farm out that kind of work.
My suggestion is to compare what that aftermarket warranty cost you to what you would ahve actually spent taking your Ranger in to get it repaired by some reputable shop, not necessarily a Polaris dealership where they get a shop rate of $75 - $100/hour. It may be that you'd come out about the same or maybe even save some money by dealing with a reputable private repair shop that depends upon providing good customer service and reasonable repair costs. It may be that in the overall scheme of things no extended warranty doesn't cost any more than buying one.
Of course there's always the option of trading your 2015 in and buying a new Ranger with all the latest and greatest upgrades and getting an extended warranty on it. If you've been dealing with the same dealer since 2015 they may treat you well on a trade in, especially since they know what has been done to it in the nature of repairs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pyro, you made me think about shop rates and what I recently learned. Shop rates can vary widely depending on location. In my area dealers charge $110-$120/hour. I'm a private shop and I'm at $90. I had a customer that works in the oilfields of west Texas that brought me a dirt bike to work on due to the fact that dealers in his area are charging $175. Recently talked to the service manager at the Ford dealer in our town and they're at $130 but in the oilfield area they are charging $240 and have a four week wait!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It comes as no surprise that shop rates vary widely by location. I think a lot has to do with income levels of various locales. In areas like the N. Dakota where they are hurting for oil field workers and paying big bucks I imagine everything anyone purchases is artificially inflated in price. Shop rates work on the principle of capitalism, whatever the market will bear ends up being the local rate. If you're the only game in town you might be able to demand a higher rate for specialty services provided there is enough demand and there isn't a shop in a town not too distant that has a lower rate. By the same token, you may have to cut rates if there are numerous shops offering the same service. Then it may come down to who provides the best customer service at a rate that is competitive in the area.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had a lot of luck with my 15 900 XP but I have also used the warratee a couple of times and it did pay for itself twice over. So, that said, I guess I am going to keep my maintenance records up to date and run it until either it dies or I do, which may be 20 years more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts