PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the ranger broke down and had to take it to dealership. What they are telling me is that it’s a clutch and engine bearing issue, possible rod issue. Over 5K to fix!!! Does that amount sound right? I have geico comprehensive insurance but I don’t even think it would cover anything.....any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You can talk to your insurance carrier but I doubt they will be helpful.

Since I don't know your experience level I hope you won't be offended by the following post. The intent is to be helpful and since I don't know you I am doing a dangerous thing and assuming (based upon your question) you have little mechanical experience. Please don't be offended if I've got it all wrong.

I learned long ago (like age 15) that having repairs of any kind done is expensive and many times the quality of workmanship is poor. That's when I decided to start doing repairs myself, accumulating tools and learning as I went. Service manuals and books helped with the learning, some pointers from my dad (who was a carpenter not a mechanic but couldn't afford others to do work for him) and just going for it got me started. Today there isn't much I won't try to tackle.

So, that said (it wasn't intended as bragging) if you are willing to get greasy, spend a little on tools which will be with you forever and pay for themselves time and again and some determination you can probably save yourself some money while learning a new skill.

I wouldn't suggest jumping in with trying to do an engine rebuild if you have no experience but you certainly could do a remove and install. Get a Service manual for your rig and contact a rebuilder like nFlow, remove the engine and have them rebuild it and then reinstall it. YouTube is a good resource for learning how to work on clutches and Todd and Hunterworks has some videos as well as good tips.

In the end you'll have learned a lot, have some tools that can be used for future repairs on other vehicles as well as your Ranger, have a lot more knowledge about how your Ranger works which can be helpful in breakdowns when away from civilization, possibly have a better job than the dealer would perform and save some money on this repair and reduce the cost of future repairs because you'll already have accumulates some tools. As a bonus, you'll get a great feeling of accomplishment and self sufficiency, which to me is as valuable as getting the job done.

The caveat to all of this is time. Most people don't depend upon their Ranger for everyday use like they would a car so if it's down for a few weeks it's not that big of a deal. If you have time after work or on weekends it could be used to make the repair. If you have children that are old enough to be interested you might involve them and make it a family project.

You also have a good base of support on this Forum. There are enough people here with experience that someone will be able to answer any questions you have. Toxic 21, Jungleman, BPS, Forde, Rangerwhit and others are most helpful. I hesitate to even mention names becasue I don't want to offend anyone becasue I miss mentioning them, these are just the first names that come to memory, and remember, I'm old so there are some holes.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Nut shell..........5k is freak'n ridiculous for a 800 overhaul .....even if they had to throw away the crank.camshaft and half of the rest of the engine.....Just say...............F'n NO!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine suddenly needed a primary clutch, but it would shut off. They told be could be in engine bearing or bad piston.....ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There are so many variables involved it is hard to say. If you aren't familiar with troubleshooting the basics, find someone you trust to help. And what your stealer says is Extremely suspect. Take it anywhere but, IMHO. And check back here before you pull the trigger!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts