·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: jungleman

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
WOW, Dwight! Bad to the bone! Anxious to hear how those Rock Crushers work out for you. For a lifted machine, that thing looks as solid as the rock in the 4th pic!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You need a rope ladder to get in and out of that monster.

·
Super Moderator
6,915 Posts
Are you part of the RockCrusher group buy with Akwoodsy?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, no group action for this guy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can't get there with this machine your not going to get there ! Very nice

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First review on the Rockcrushers - not great.:suspicion:

The mounting plates for the front (the part that replaces the spindles) was made of aluminium and did not hold up at all.
Both sides bent at first, then one finally let go and is damaged beyond repair.
Tough to get around on 3 wheels..Very tough.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that these are extreme tires and there will be consequences.

Called Rockcrusher to find out that they are hearing other reports of the same problem and now make that part out of steel!
WTH? I didn't get the memo!

So I ordered a pair (the brackets/spindles are seperate from the gear boxes) becuase the whole set is now usesless with 2 boxes out of commission - at my expesne, I might add....No sale price, or sympathy given. It also took 2 days to get ahold of them - again (I received similar service when ordering initially) :livid:

I also ordered ball joints,tie rod ends, 1 A arm and one axle from Polaris to replace damaged parts from the wheel coming off.

The extra width will also over run the suspension in extremely twisty terrain. Turning the dampening adjustment up helped but stiffer springs would work better.

Having said all that, the places you can go with these tires, ground clearance and the gear reduction to turn them is amazing. Even with 34s, it is geared lower than stock.

I am currently back to stock and unsure if I will put them back on. I believe that the steel mounts will be better but this is a specialty set up with one supplier that so far has not been been great with customer support.
While crawling and wallowing through deep holes is fun, this set up takes away ALL of the fast/nimble features of the 1000.
In a perfect world, I would have 2 machines set up very differently.

·
Super Moderator
6,915 Posts
First review on the Rockcrushers - not great.:suspicion:

The mounting plates for the front (the part that replaces the spindles) was made of aluminium and did not hold up at all.
Both sides bent at first, then one finally let go and is damaged beyond repair.
Tough to get around on 3 wheels..Very tough.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that these are extreme tires and there will be consequences.

Called Rockcrusher to find out that they are hearing other reports of the same problem and now make that part out of steel!
WTH? I didn't get the memo!

So I ordered a pair (the brackets/spindles are seperate from the gear boxes) becuase the whole set is now usesless with 2 boxes out of commission - at my expesne, I might add....No sale price, or sympathy given. It also took 2 days to get ahold of them - again (I received similar service when ordering initially) :livid:

I also ordered ball joints,tie rod ends, 1 A arm and one axle from Polaris to replace damaged parts from the wheel coming off.

The extra width will also over run the suspension in extremely twisty terrain. Turning the dampening adjustment up helped but stiffer springs would work better.

Having said all that, the places you can go with these tires, ground clearance and the gear reduction to turn them is amazing. Even with 34s, it is geared lower than stock.

I am currently back to stock and unsure if I will put them back on. I believe that the steel mounts will be better but this is a specialty set up with one supplier that so far has not been been great with customer support.
While crawling and wallowing through deep holes is fun, this set up takes away ALL of the fast/nimble features of the 1000.
In a perfect world, I would have 2 machines set up very differently.
I hate to hear of your troubles, and was hoping your situation would be different.
But this went down as I suspected, RockCrusher has some serious quality and business issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some thought, I have decided to go ahead and give them another try. After all, I can not use or sell off the portals with broken brackets.

Rockcrusher claims to have a 1 yr unconditional warranty but did not honour it. I had to pay $340 CAN plus shipping for new brackets...i have had my kit since April.:icon_frown::distrust:

image.jpg The steering knuckle bent on both sides on first ride out. These are aluminium brackets.
image.jpg Lower ball joint "clamp" ripped apart. Which caused the front left wheel assembly to leave the machine. Of course, this did about a G note worth of damage to other parts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
image.jpg This is how we towed it out for 47miles.
The log is secured under my rzr with my winch. The tow truck had a 6000# winch fabbed into the back bumper.

This actually worked very well. 6x6 the hard way...

Rockcrusher was very quick to ship the new parts.(as in they must have had them sitting on the shelf!)

Steel, with added gussets - Do you think they knew there was a problem?

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The cut and weld peices that make up these front brackets look pretty "rough" , even the replacement ones, but the machined aluminium brackets for the back end of the kit are absolute works of art.:distant:

My hope is that they excell as machinists and are "getting better" at welding because the internal parts is what does the trick on these portal lifts.

I also took the oppourtuniy, since half of the front end was removed for me, to beef up some steering and chassis components. I have an order in with RacerTech.

BTW, one of my Backwoods Armour arched lower arms took a lickin and kept on ticking. I just had to make some minor repairs on the tab for the ball joint.
This is after things went Western when the wheel fell off at est. 30-40 mph. Speedo is off with gear reduction...

·
Super Moderator
6,915 Posts
The idler and drive gears have also failed, so be careful.
I am not sure what the exact reason is ( poor material, machining tolerances, improper hardness etc).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got the goodies from RacerTech and intalled.
chassis brace, lift kit and tie rods.

The fit on chassis brace was very tight (this is a good thing) I even had to thread bolts through the holes.
Note: the Polaris 4500lb winch does not line up with the holes provided! Check before you instal, drilling new ones in the frame is no fun.... Many pinched fingers and cus words... But it was still easier than disassembling again.

The tie rods are stout to say the least. Double what the stock ones are.

The lift kit was put in to lesson the angle on the shocks, not because I wanted more GC. The extra width of the portal boxes is enough to make the stock set up too soft. I may have to reduce some preload now.
The angles on the axles are steep but there was no binding. This is at full droop on the hoist.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts