PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted the bare wires and have advanced since that one. Still having trouble with it backfiring and bogging out at low rpm's Idle's OK, runs over 30 great. fixed the wires, checked tps setting (which seems to change a little) Had a wide variation in output reading when slowly adding throttle. Found the throttle end going into the throttle body was TOTALLY worn out. fixed that cleaned and checked the throttle body, set voltage and checked base voltage seemed to run great, BUT next day after2-3 hours running started all over again crapping out at low rpm's and backfiring. Checked voltage AGAIN :dread: this time engine was hot??? voltage ALL over the place again. NO CODES??? Has anybody ever had a TPS that was temperature sensitive??????? in the past have set cold and seemed to run fine right away but then changed later. I keep checking things and fixing things, but keep coming back to the TPS. According to our local dealer they sell 10-15 a year so it must be a fairly common problem. ANY insight would be appreciated. Had to order one out of Phoenix as the local has 3 on BO until 11-21??

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Posted the bare wires and have advanced since that one. Still having trouble with it backfiring and bogging out at low rpm's Idle's OK, runs over 30 great. fixed the wires, checked tps setting (which seems to change a little) Had a wide variation in output reading when slowly adding throttle. Found the throttle end going into the throttle body was TOTALLY worn out. fixed that cleaned and checked the throttle body, set voltage and checked base voltage seemed to run great, BUT next day after2-3 hours running started all over again crapping out at low rpm's and backfiring. Checked voltage AGAIN :dread: this time engine was hot??? voltage ALL over the place again. NO CODES??? Has anybody ever had a TPS that was temperature sensitive??????? in the past have set cold and seemed to run fine right away but then changed later. I keep checking things and fixing things, but keep coming back to the TPS. According to our local dealer they sell 10-15 a year so it must be a fairly common problem. ANY insight would be appreciated. Had to order one out of Phoenix as the local has 3 on BO until 11-21??
Steven, unplug the Tm/bap sensor, remove the wire protector and carefully check the wires from the plug to six inches back for chafing/broken wire. It doesn't always throw a code........Also,if your TPS wires are properly repaired, the TPS is bad if it jumps and skips as you roll it up and down .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Kris, Got a new one in today. Right or wrong I'll replace it tomorrow and see what happens

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK New TPS seems to run really good. Right now, after a 20 min. test ride. the low end crapping out seems to be solved, for sure the throttle rolls on more smoothly, so I think the TPS was going bad.
BUT always a but. At the very bottom of the rpm If you let off the throttle and let it slow down to almost stopped and then push the throttle it BACKFIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to bad unless your going down a steep hill and then it backfired ALMOST EVERY TIME YOU PUSH THE THROTTLE. I'm thinking I have a small air leak somewhere around the throttle body or adaptor (new adaptor) after cleaning and reinstalling the throttle body, I pulled it yesterday when I changed the TPS and there was fine black dirt inside the throttle cable area. Bad throttle body??????? I'm guessing this dirt is coming in thru the throttle cable.. I'm at the end of my rope here and mite have to go to the dealer!!!! OMG CPS seems to pop up in my searches for backfiring, any test ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts