PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several Forum members have brought up issues of their muffler glowing red hot during the time I've been a member. If memory serves me, most of the complaints were about the 570 but there may have been other engines involved as well.

Today, one of my favorite small engine YouTubers, Taryl, made a vide about the causes of mufflers glowing red on small engines. The following link may be helpful to those trying to find the reason for their Ranger muffler glowing red. Granted, Taryl's vide is about small air cooled carbureted engines but the principles of operation are the same so the same reasons for the problem apply although the fixes may not be applicable. For example, he mentions a lean mixture as a possible cause and adjustment of the carburetor as a fix, however all the 570s I know of are fuel injected which means that a change in fuel mapping in in the ECU would be required if lean mixture is the problem.
Enjoy the video, hope it helps.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
528 Posts
I’m 95% sure there is a catalytic converter in the muffler. That gets hot. Normal operation.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
LOL...........oh my.....

Reactions: gmck154x4

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
403 Posts
I read somewhere, if the muffler gets clogged on some of these machines it will cause it. Is performance effected with the issue? I don't know anything, really, about these engines other than the basics. I know Cats will do this on cars. But bad performance, economy and high engine temps. are usually the give away there. Just thought I would mention it...

Reactions: Max H

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is a picture of the manifold on my 2010 800 after a wide open run.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts