PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mods I have done thus far have mainly been protection, lights etc while keeping the stock tires and ride height. I will soon be taking the larger step of adding a 3" lift, 31" tires and a complete DDP clutch. Everything has been ordered and parts are arriving so hopefully I will be able to get-r-done right away once I get home from work overseas at the end of next week. The only question mark is the Outkast lift delivery but it will be 3 weeks since I ordered it when I get home and that is the time they said it would take. Until then this is all I have to show..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wheels showed up today, wife is sending me pictures. This waiting is rough.
Wheels MSA M21.jpg

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah my wife was really taken by the wheels, she said they were "awesome looking". Coming from a woman, especially my wife, that is something, lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're wait from outkast will be about 6-7 weeks that seems to be the normal wait everyone is getting . Just didn't want you tear it apart and think the lift would be here soon that way you can atleast still ride it .

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have been reading that, no way I will tear it apart until the lift kit arrives, I do way too much riding when I am home.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I finally got my lift in and installed last week. Took exactly 4 weeks from time of order. The wait, as hard as it was, was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have to say I like everything about the lift. It all fit perfectly. I drilled and tapped all the control arms and added gease zerks. All the drilling and tapping was probably the most time consuming thing and while it would have been nice to have the arms come that way already, the cost would surely be more and I preferred putting the zerks exactly where I wanted them. I replaced all the bushings up front since I had new ones but the stock ones were still in great shape. I have my shocks all in the inside stock holes and all springs set in the mid compression setting. The ride is great and the tires, although I did not balance them, are very smooth on the road. I have had it up to around 50 so far and the ride is as good if not better than stock. I found a complete set of limit straps for $45 online so I installed them on all 4 corners, the length I got was 16" and they are perfect. When I was jacked up and at full droop with just the shocks connected without limit straps I could feel a slight touch of CV/axle bind on the rear and also on the front when at full turn. With the limit straps installed there is no hint of binding anywhere, even on the front at full turn and I do not have steering stops installed and still have and plan to keep, for now, stock axles all around. The DDP ultimate clutch install was a breeze and although I only drove around the yard with the larger tires for a little bit before installing the clutch, wow what a difference! I like the clutching FAR better now than the stock setup. It starts and stops much smoother than stock and the power to the ground feels every bit as good as stock, maybe even better than stock.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For those wondering, yes I do have a bit of tire rub up front on the bottom of the stock bumper. I expected this and plan on replacing the bumper with a higher clearing one to move my winch up and out from under its current location. I will probably cut the lower tube off until I get the new bumper on.
I only got a couple of days riding in before having to go back overseas to work but on the second day I really put the machine to a no holds barred test by trying to climb a rutted, rooted hill coming out of a creek with the first 3 or 4 feet being nearly vertical. I was basically seeing if I could break an axle and I did on the rear, but only after about 10 full throttle brutal attempts. The shaft actually snapped into at the rear hub and not at the CV. This makes be feel pretty good with replacing with a STI slasher axle which is basically stock quality and under $150. In my normal riding I will never stress the axles like I did that day.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A week prior to installing my lift and tires I made a good day long ride with some friends in Alabama and while going through a deep mud hole broke a fan blade. I normally make sure the fan isn't running but I was in unfamiliar territory with the music playing and forgot to check before entering the hole. Anyway I replaced the fan with HD one from universal parts that I got through Hunterworks. This fan is a heavier 5 blade with a nice aluminum shroud. I also did the "cut the dang plastic out of the way mod" so the fan and radiator can be pulled easily from the top.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
While installing the lift I put new brake pads on all around. The stock pads were not completely gone yet but were getting pretty thin. As far as other normal wear items I both lower ball joints on the front and one rear wheel bearing were bad. I replaced all the ball joints with new ones and the rear wheel bearing. I don't think that is too bad for 2000 miles and the places the machine has taken me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks awesome Bro! You're gonna be very pleased with those LTB's, for sure. That's the only way to go on these machines, IMO.
I believe you're right Dean. I have only had them in sand and pavement so far but while I thought that would be their weak point they did better than the stockers. Mainly because of the diameter and less rolling resistance. The creek we ride at home has about 5 miles we travel and cross from sand bar to sand bar so it is almost like riding sand dunes with water in between. I sure have drawn some crowds checking out the tires and wheels last weekend all gave great complements. I haven't hit the mud or rocks yet but that will be coming when I am home in Sept. I am running 4 psi right now and that seems like a really good pressure thus far. I really like the beadlocks and this was my first time mounting some. If anyone does it I suggest to set a full day of your life aside if it is the first time! I did the last wheel way faster than the first but it is very time consuming but I think they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did a few other mods while waiting for my lift to come in last month. One was to run a fused hot wire from the battery up to my roof on he inside and mount a cool combo cigarette usb plug to the bottom of the roof overhead. This is a very handy power source and allows me to keep phones or whatever is charging high and dry without worry when I go through deep water. The second thing I did was to run loop of waterproof LED light strip around the inside of the cab. The LEDs strip cost only $16 from Amazon and comes with a sound sensing controller and a remote. When the music is playing you can set the lights to beat to the music in different patterns, which is pretty cool. The best thing about the lights is the white light setting which will light up not only the cab but the bed very brightly. The remote allows any color of light and bright/dim settings. They can also be set to fade automatically and automatically switch patterns and colors. This was very cool while sitting on a white sand bar at night. Everyone that saw them ordered them some too! These same lights are what people use to make their own LED whips which I may do later on, there are Youtube videos that show how. I wired the lights into the hot wire I ran to the top of the cab and velcroed the remote to the roof.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is one sweet looking ride, I absolutely love the wheels and tires and will start to sell the idea to the wife immediately! I only have 900 miles on mine so far, but we run a lot of paved roads around town and will probably need them in the spring. I should have enough time to convince the wife we need these by then!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is one sweet looking ride, I absolutely love the wheels and tires and will start to sell the idea to the wife immediately! I only have 900 miles on mine so far, but we run a lot of paved roads around town and will probably need them in the spring. I should have enough time to convince the wife we need these by then!
Thanks, I credit slowroller for the idea, he did it first. I narrowed my tires down to either Outlaw radials or these. I wanted tires that would perform well in all conditions, especially in mud and also ride good on pavement and wear long. The swampers will last FAR longer than the OLRs, will probably last the life of the Ranger, they weighed the same and cost less. I went with the beadlocks so I could run the pressure really low since the side walls are so stiff being a truck tire and I run sand a lot. You don't have to run beadlocks, slowroller doesn't, but these are fairly new style wheels and not many people have them. Down side is they cost almost twice as much as non beadlocks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm thinking about going with LBT's. How do they do in the mud?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm thinking about going with LBT's. How do they do in the mud?
Not to hijack Larry's thread, but you won't be disappointed with the LTB's performance in the mud either. I've had mine stuck only twice so far (in the same hole), in gumbo mud. The machine was still moving, but before I could make it through, it had pushed up a mound of gumbo in front of the machine over the head lights. I just didn't have enough ass to push everything in front of me out. I had my 65hp 4wd tractor buried in the same hole just a couple days before, and couldn't push myself out with the bucket. Had to winch it out with a 16.5 winch and snatch block. I just had to try the Ranger out in it, just for the hell of it. Aside from this one hole, these tires have pulled through a lot of places that I'd have never imagined I'd make it through.

I wouldn't want to start an argument with everyone else, but I've been through everything that my friends (running Laws and Terms) have been through. I do realize that those tires are better for straight mud, but what I'm getting at is, these tires will definitely hold their own. These tires clean out great, they'll make a helluva mess for sure. Boggers would likely do better than the LTB's, for straight mud. But I think they would need to be cut. I don't think a ranger would be able to turn uncut Boggers fast enough, to keep them cleaned out like the LTB's do. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used to run either swamper or buckshots on my built Toyota back in the day and that thing was a muddin beast. I ran 36s on it but it did not have the ground clearance the Ranger does. I will test mine in mud soon but I expect I won't be disappointed.

I ordered a Superatv front bumper today and a replacement spare axle and another for a spare. SATV did not have Rhinos in stock so I just got 2 STI Slashers which is the same as the other one I have in the rear that held up to my torture test when I broke the other stock rear. I think they will last with the limit straps since I was purposely seeing if I could break something when I did. I am also going to remove my rear sway bar since I think it is kinda of useless with the limit straps anyway.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't wait to see pictures of your once you have the new lift on. Where in MS do you live? I'm in Picayune.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts