PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I thought I would post what happened to me and my 2013 900 XP EPS Ranger a few weeks ago (1.5 yrs old, maybe 180 hours on it). It has resulted in the introduction of some new sounds that some of you have described in this forum. Maybe you guys have some ideas as to what happened, and input on what might be going on.

After filling a feeder on my property on the opposite side of our country-mile property, I did a quick three point turn to get back on my trail. I realised within 20 feet and hitting my bean field and turning left, that my steering had gone completely off.

I had to do massive input on the wheel to turn the corner and then counter steer greatly in a rut. The Ranger wandered off me holding it straight. It also wouldn't pick up any speed. I stopped, changed gears, stopped & started the unit, and nothing helped. Visual inspection didn't reveal anything amiss. But there was also an awful rattling sound, like grinding gears or linkage?

When I got to the dirt road, steering remained incredibly vague. Like in the field, I couldn't keep it straight, and had to counter steer heavily against the camber in the road. As I came to the asphalt of the road I take home, I recalled, as usual, I was in 4x4 and needed to switch to turf mode. I took a look behind me and my tires had carved up the dirt road. Never happened before in a straight line like that. And when I came to the stop, the ranger slowed very abruptly, accompanied by that awful grinding...

Troubles continued on the asphalt. Even in turf mode. I let off the gas to pull over a couple times, and came to abrupt stops - with the grinding. Steering was tough, again to keep it straight as it wandered off line and was very vague. And I couldn't get any speed. At about 4500-5000rpm in high, I was only managing 10 or 12 mph. If not for having to get my daughter from school, I would not have driven it, but I had to limp it home. It wasn't far, after all.

So I round the country mile headed for home, scrubbing the whole way in turf mode in the corner. As I continued down that last .3 miles - I started smelling rubber. I pulled into my garage around a bend in my drive, and parked. I went to the front end, and my fronts were absolutely destroyed. In 1.3 miles of pavement, they were worn like I had 1000 miles on asphalt instead of the roughly 50. They were super hot to the touch, and cupped and angled sharply.

I looked back to the driveway at the turn I took into the garage, and there were 4 tires marks, heavy on the fronts. I was in TURF mode! Walking down the 700ft driveway revealed two lines of front treads in straight lines on top of the bends. So in it went for service. Thank goodness I have the top warranty plan.

So after a few days, I call and ask for progress and if the issue was found. They had found nothing. The differential was drained, and no shavings were found. Fluids were changed.

Obviously, the fronts had locked up. Nothing was found other than some scouring in the front right (I think) rotor disk. The only thing they could figure was that a rock or pebble must have gotten inside the cover and locked up the fronts, causing the wear.

Anyhow, they continued to inspect things, but found nothing. They did find the belt needed replacing, which was a shock to me, especially since I see some of you have gone 4000 miles on your belt. I have just several hundred miles on my unit. They said they found evidence in there that moisture had gotten in. At any rate - this is unrelated to the issue.

So, I picked it up last Friday. They had said all was good and they put a lot of time into driving it and it was good to go. But I regret not driving it.

I got on my trails at the house to go fill my main feeder. And the steering felt very vague, and still seemed to require a lot of input. The Ranger's wheels were rolling fine, though. But I just felt like I wasn't driving these trails I know so well like I usually do. It felt like I was using more input, and like I said, felt just vague - like I didn't have much traction? I could rip it a full 360 back and forth at a lowish speed in low, and I don't think it changed direction more than 40 degrees, and it almost felt like there was a lag to it.

Anyway, on top of that, all of the sudden I realise my steering is rattling. As I turn the wheel, moving within 10-15mph or even while stopped, it rattled and clicked down somewhere around the U-joint/axle. Totally new.

The bad grinding had stopped, BUT, on downhills with just engine braking, that rattling geary sound in the back reared its ugly head. Totally new behaviour.

There is another thing that cropped up a couple months ago that seemed worse. I had started getting a rattle that was on and off in the front end under differing speeds and frequencies. It had gotten worse after the event/service, and the rattle is so fast now, that it's just a buzz now, and sounds like GRAVEL crushing itself around in a container somewhere in the front end.

Finally, there is a strange warbley sound at idle. Like a high-ish and fast temp whoo-whoooo-woo-whoo-whooo. I suspect this is from the belt change, and once again, not to do with anything major. But is this normal? Does it need time to wear in, or was it not installed properly?

So that's that. It's back in for service. And I don't have a lot of hope things are going to go well, let alone be covered by warranty if they can't prove something's wrong.

Now, these noises seem common and reported on here. But most of them are totally new to my machine from the event/service. I can't see it is possible it could be co-incidence. The most I had ever encountered, was the gear like rattle you learn to avoid when switching gears and not getting it right. Only one time, I engaged in low and was driving with the rattle ongoing in the early days of owning it. But stopping it right away and switching gears alleviated that.

Anyhow. Long read, I know, but I wanted to provide all the detail I could. With regard to the steering input, I did go drive a friend's 2014 XP and it required the same amount of steering input. But mine just still felt a little vague. Maybe it's in my imagination. Or maybe the toe went a little off on it or something.

I'm not sure I buy into the rock in the disc theory, even with that scoring. And the only thing I can think of, that I dismissed before, is that when I did that 3-pt turn on my trails, being in a rush to get back home to get my daughter, I did the turn and shifting faster than I ever did it. Kinda doing gas right after I made the shift, rather than stopping and waiting to make sure it was in gear. It seems too co-incidental...

I really look forward to your thoughts and/or experiences. Thanks for taking the time...

Cheers,

Hudson

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you had your front end wedged when this happens switch directions and accel hard this will unlock the front end there is a gearing difference the rear wheels have to slip to engage the front end when doing your k-turn you wedged it

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
You may have a busted ring gear or Hilliard cage in the front differential. This would help explain the drag on the front end and the burned belt.
You can drain the fluid, use a magnet to see if you get any metal pieces from the drain hole.

You stated that your steering went off? Are you getting any codes, check engine or power steering light illuminated in gage cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas so far!

Toxic, I didn't explain that well. There were no panel lights illuminated. No codes as far as I know. By 'going off', I meant it was just really wrong and not working right...

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
Thanks for the ideas so far!

Toxic, I didn't explain that well. There were no panel lights illuminated. No codes as far as I know. By 'going off', I meant it was just really wrong and not working right...
OK, that eliminates the speed sensor issue concerning the power steering.

Have you tried backing up?

I believe your issue is in the front differential. The rattling sound could be the rollers in the Hilliard Cage, sounds like it may be busted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a broken ring gear or Hilliard cage in the front diff also result in the noises in turning the wheel and the rattling while driving, Toxic?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, that eliminates the speed sensor issue concerning the power steering.

Have you tried backing up?

I believe your issue is in the front differential. The rattling sound could be the rollers in the Hilliard Cage.
OK. Sorry I didn't hit refresh before posting again. I will relay this to service. Any more ideas welcome...

What would backing up do? I had rattling going back or forward before service. Now just forward, I THINK. The gravel sound at speed is awful. And the steering noises bad, and you can actually feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OK. Sorry I didn't hit refresh before posting again. I will relay this to service. Any more ideas welcome...

What would backing up do? I had rattling going back or forward before service. Now just forward, I THINK. The gravel sound at speed is awful. And the steering noises bad, and you can actually feel it in the steering wheel.
A couple of times I have had to back up to get the machine back into turf mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update...

The dealer keep it for a week. And the top manager, who is incredibly knowledgeable and experienced ripped on it for half an hour daily in their fields.

About 5 days ago he called to say he broke the front diff and the wheels were definitely locking up. So its under warranty repair.

I will post back here on the other issues.

H

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hey Hudson, that right there is a sad tale of woes. But, it looks like things are looking up. Hopefully, the new front gear box will resolve all your issues. Good luck, and keep us posted.:glee::encouragement:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts