PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks GEE, I have a light under anything outside on our property including my Ranger. It was just a dual tube shop light which wasn't enough. I think I will move to a rope light. And yes we are very rural.

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #42
Ok, here is my new tire/wheel combo and initial thoughts. SunF tires & STI beadlocks. No trail time or pavement time on them yet. Just specs and a couple of pics...
The tread design made it for me. Not radials, but I think they will serve well in my rocky type terrain. They feel good and turn well on my limited maiden voyage on our dirt road. They do have a slightly different feel, which is probably a weight thing.
The setup looks bueno on the Bronze wheels and the browns in my camo, right? 馃榿

You can see the size difference from the OEM 27's (measured 25 3/4"), and the mounted 28" tires (not yet measured).
And the most important part... weight. Yes the weight increases, which I think is going to happen on most aftermarket tire & wheels. Ya gotta shop hard, and weights can be hard to find...
Ok here are my weights.
47 lbs. per STI beadlock wheel & SunF 28/10x14.
Stock front tires/wheels weight 32 lbs each.
Stock rears weigh 41 lbs each.
A fair amount of weight increase yes.
The motor handled it well on my short ride. But this is fuel for thought and study when its time to purchase tire/wheel combos. A lighter weight can be had than my setup.
But I am going to love this setup. Right now its just the 2 1/2" lift in front, not in the rear yet as far as wheel fitment goes. 馃ぃ

Registered
That combo looks great with the camo !!!

Reactions: Maxpolaris

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #44
A couple more pics...
Its hot, dry & dusty here. Even with AC, which works well enough, our hills are very susceptible to fires. Plus my rodent thrashed wiring is its own risk, so... not much going on as far as trailing it, or working out of it.
Got to look into a snow plow. It will be from MotoAliance, the standard Denali model.

Registered
I totally get the hot, dry and dusty conditions here in southern Arizona. Nasty drought going on, monsoons have been next to nothing for the last few years. I only want to go on rides if early morning or late afternoon. Starting to scout for upcoming deer season, which is always fun.

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #46
I totally get the hot, dry and dusty conditions here in southern Arizona. Nasty drought going on, monsoons have been next to nothing for the last few years. I only want to go on rides if early morning or late afternoon. Starting to scout for upcoming deer season, which is always fun.
Weather trends sure seem to be different these days. Here in Wa. state, wet winters, slightly under on snowpack, then very hot dry summers. Then if we get spring/summer rain and then more weeds to go with it, then the heat makes it fire tinder. What a cycle.
My concern is a hot exhaust and motor compartment. Most trails here are just dirt & rocks, but I have used a couple of trails that have grass growing on the edges and center. Dry grass. ...I don't want to be that guy.
I am even careful and not shooting at the moment. Ammo is sparking and causing fires here and there. Fortunately I have already shot my dozen invasive grass & garden destroying wabbits. Love the .17HMR.
So, bring on fall and cooler wet weather! Hot or cold the Northstar will deal. Glad to be here and interact. 馃憤

Registered
The machine's stance looks great Max. The feel difference could be extra sidewall height and the tread pattern acting a little different too. And you are taller overall. Probably wouldn't notice at all if they were on the machine originally.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
The stock headlights have been bothering me on my Northstar. That weak washed out yellow lighting, certainly as compared to my led sequential turn signals anyway, are blah. I remember when halogens were the best...
So this afternoon I plugged in a pair of Beamtech LED's, and what a difference! Nice modern white, blueish maybe lighting. Good low beams, and a nice range on high beam. 50W & 8000 lumens - not bad for headlights alone.
I can see a couple of night runs coming up... To me, a good satisfying upgrade to do. The Led's should of come stock right?
I can still see a roof mounted LED light bar in the future, but these led's are really nice.

Registered
The stock headlights have been bothering me on my Northstar. That weak washed out yellow lighting, certainly as compared to my led sequential turn signals anyway, are blah. I remember when halogens were the best...
So this afternoon I plugged in a pair of Beamtech LED's, and what a difference! Nice modern white, blueish maybe lighting. Good low beams, and a nice range on high beam. 50W & 8000 lumens - not bad for headlights alone.
I can see a couple of night runs coming up... To me, a good satisfying upgrade to do. The Led's should of come stock right?
I can still see a roof mounted LED light bar in the future, but these led's are really nice.

View attachment 131457
Can you link the bulbs you bought

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #50

Registered
Ok, here is my new tire/wheel combo and initial thoughts. SunF tires & STI beadlocks. No trail time or pavement time on them yet. Just specs and a couple of pics...
The tread design made it for me. Not radials, but I think they will serve well in my rocky type terrain. They feel good and turn well on my limited maiden voyage on our dirt road. They do have a slightly different feel, which is probably a weight thing.
The setup looks bueno on the Bronze wheels and the browns in my camo, right? 馃榿

View attachment 131441
View attachment 131443
View attachment 131444

You can see the size difference from the OEM 27's (measured 25 3/4"), and the mounted 28" tires (not yet measured).
And the most important part... weight. Yes the weight increases, which I think is going to happen on most aftermarket tire & wheels. Ya gotta shop hard, and weights can be hard to find...
Ok here are my weights.
47 lbs. per STI beadlock wheel & SunF 28/10x14.
Stock front tires/wheels weight 32 lbs each.
Stock rears weigh 41 lbs each.
A fair amount of weight increase yes.
The motor handled it well on my short ride. But this is fuel for thought and study when its time to purchase tire/wheel combos. A lighter weight can be had than my setup.
But I am going to love this setup. Right now its just the 2 1/2" lift in front, not in the rear yet as far as wheel fitment goes. 馃ぃ
What did your tires measure to mounted on machine?

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #54
Plug & play on the bulbs Gtorq. I'll get a tire measurement tomorrow.

Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Today... I finally put on the rear Marshall Motoart 2 1/2" lift on my NS (only running the front lift up to now). I want the nose high desert racer look, but the rear looked sagged out. So, zero preload in the rear & on the second preload in front to try & keep the nose high. ...It will work good enough for me. I will now re adjust my headlights, again.
On another note, I re-torqued my rear 1" spacers, and guess what... They crumbled!!! WTF
I was re-torquing to 100 ft lbs of torque and the driver side spacer split. An oh shit moment.
I re-torqued the passenger side to 90 ft lbs. and it split also. Not happy! I am thinking these spacers are porous cast and not billet at all (??).
So along with my chewed wiring harness, I have busted spacers also. Now my XP is really down... #Bummed
My luck has only been so so with this new Polaris. 馃

Oh... on the diameter of my tires? 28" vertically & about 28 1/4" horizontally. That was on my front tires with 11 psi.

Junk spacers

Registered
Hang in there Max, things will get better, just one of those days we have now and then. But you have had your share with the Northstar.

Registered
Happy to see they measure true to size. Dang man don't worry I've had my fair share frustrating luck with machines over the years. What I've learned through my experience is there's nothing that can't be cleaned or fixed. But doesn't mean I don't cuss along the way

41 - 60 of 88 Posts