PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 XP700 in the past month has been starting and running rough not wanting to idle. Now all it will do while trying to start it is just spin the engine over, will not even try to start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
O, ................ not much to go on O...... miles/hours..........new to you ? old fuel ?

Check for stored codes.........Ready ?...............Transmision in neutral .................rotate key to ON (not start) THREE TIMES leaving it in the ON position on the third roatation........ Waite..........watch the cluster for 2 digit codes....write them down...do it twice..
61 is end of codes.. Let us know..

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O, ................ not much to go on O...... miles/hours..........new to you ? old fuel ?

Check for stored codes.........Ready ?...............Transmision in neutral .................rotate key to ON (not start) leaving it in the ON position on the third roatation........ Waite..........watch the cluster for 2 digit codes....write them down...do it twice..
61 is end of codes.. Let us know..

Thanks, I will check that when I get home from work this afternoon and post findings.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,820 Posts
The intent of the following is not to rag on anyone, rather to inform and make assisting others more efficient.

One of the biggest recurring problems with trying to help people with problems is that we seldom seem to get enough information. We're happy to help, but even the members who are best at diagnosis aren't magicians, mind readers or empaths. Perhaps members seeking help don't know the rudiments of simple tests or what makes an engine run. In those cases people would do themselves a great favor by doing some research to learn the basics so they can better understand why problems may occur. Such information would not only help them provide pertinent information when posting questions here by may save a lot of grief should they break down on the trail somewhere by being able to diagnose simple problems and affect temporary and even makeshift repairs to get them home.

I suspect many younger members grew up playing video games rather than tinkering with mechanical devices as many older members did, so they are at a real disadvantage when mechanical things go wrong. I truly wish those seeking help and advice would read the sticky under General Member Discussions. Perhaps it would help if Administrators placed a link to that Sticky in the New Member Introductions or perhaps prominently displayed on the PRC Home Page. Providing the information suggested in that post would be helpful to those of us trying to help and save us a lot or time asking about things that we should have been told when the problem was addressed to us.
Suggestion for Members Asking for Help With a Problem

Reactions: POS POLARIS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The intent of the following is not to rag on anyone, rather to inform and make assisting others more efficient.

One of the biggest recurring problems with trying to help people with problems is that we seldom seem to get enough information. We're happy to help, but even the members who are best at diagnosis aren't magicians, mind readers or empaths. Perhaps members seeking help don't know the rudiments of simple tests or what makes an engine run. In those cases people would do themselves a great favor by doing some research to learn the basics so they can better understand why problems may occur. Such information would not only help them provide pertinent information when posting questions here by may save a lot of grief should they break down on the trail somewhere by being able to diagnose simple problems and affect temporary and even makeshift repairs to get them home.

I suspect many younger members grew up playing video games rather than tinkering with mechanical devices as many older members did, so they are at a real disadvantage when mechanical things go wrong. I truly wish those seeking help and advice would read the sticky under General Member Discussions. Perhaps it would help if Administrators placed a link to that Sticky in the New Member Introductions or perhaps prominently displayed on the PRC Home Page. Providing the information suggested in that post would be helpful to those of us trying to help and save us a lot or time asking about things that we should have been told when the problem was addressed to us.
Suggestion for Members Asking for Help With a Problem

As for the first paragraph in your response, I agree with your comments. As for the beginning of the second paragraph, you could not be more wrong in your assumption of me if you had tried harder. I would not know the first thing about a vast number of video games as I was born before most where around and grew up working on a MF TO35 weekly to keep the garden plowed (yes some of us do still grow our own food in case you were wondering) You could have been one of those members that said welcome aboard, I see you have not been a member long. Check out this link I posted with questions that will help us get you fixed up with the problems your having, but that would have been to easy and less fulfilling to your ego I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the information that will help me get going, see below for info.

Year/Model of the Vehicle 07XP Polaris Ranger
Is vehicle new to current owner or been a one owner vehicle Second owner, but have had it close to 10 years
Description of Problem Cranking over but will not fire off (Blink code 41) sprayed starter fluid in throttle body, ran on that only. As stated above has been running rough and idle trouble over the last month while just cranking it to let it run some
History of previous problems that might be related No previous issues
How old is the fuel/Ethanol or Non Ethanol Few months old
How long since vehicle was last used and ran normally Probably two months work has kept me from hunting until recently
When problem began (Example: After going through deep water or After filling Fuel Tank or after sitting unused for a year) Problem began at the house getting ready to spend some time at the lease, no high water etc.
Did problem begin after Recent Modification or Accessory Addition No modifications have been done, all original
Under what Conditions does Problem Occur Trying to start
Odors, Unusual Noises, Changes in "Feel" of Vehicle while Riding None
Any repairs already attempted and the Outcome (Example: Cleaned Battery Terminals, no change) New battery earlier this year
Results of any Tests already performed (Compression, Spark, Voltage, Battery Condition etc.) Blink code 41 is all I have done prior to posting question for assistance.

Thanks again for any help with this issue.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Ok, O... :) I know a thing or two about one of these 700's. Your TBAP harness is bad and needs replacement and a good cleaning of that TBAP sensor with MAPP or carb cleaner is also needed.

I would get rid of that old fuel as well... Yes......... fuel a few months old is no good...You may have fouled the plugs and I would give them a check & clean. I would also check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail for 39 psi...

This high quality T-BAP repair harness typically fixes Polaris engine codes:

• Blink code 41
  • Blink code 45
  • Blink code 46
  • SPN 102, FMI 3, 4, 2
  • SPN 105, FMI 3, 4

Some symptoms of a bad T-Bap harness are engine will run poorly, no power, poor idle and engine miss. This will be very noticeable when riding in changing elevations.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,820 Posts
As for the first paragraph in your response, I agree with your comments. As for the beginning of the second paragraph, you could not be more wrong in your assumption of me if you had tried harder. I would not know the first thing about a vast number of video games as I was born before most where around and grew up working on a MF TO35 weekly to keep the garden plowed (yes some of us do still grow our own food in case you were wondering) You could have been one of those members that said welcome aboard, I see you have not been a member long. Check out this link I posted with questions that will help us get you fixed up with the problems your having, but that would have been to easy and less fulfilling to your ego I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the information that will help me get going, see below for info.

Year/Model of the Vehicle 07XP Polaris Ranger
Is vehicle new to current owner or been a one owner vehicle Second owner, but have had it close to 10 years
Description of Problem Cranking over but will not fire off (Blink code 41) sprayed starter fluid in throttle body, ran on that only. As stated above has been running rough and idle trouble over the last month while just cranking it to let it run some
History of previous problems that might be related No previous issues
How old is the fuel/Ethanol or Non Ethanol Few months old
How long since vehicle was last used and ran normally Probably two months work has kept me from hunting until recently
When problem began (Example: After going through deep water or After filling Fuel Tank or after sitting unused for a year) Problem began at the house getting ready to spend some time at the lease, no high water etc.
Did problem begin after Recent Modification or Accessory Addition No modifications have been done, all original
Under what Conditions does Problem Occur Trying to start
Odors, Unusual Noises, Changes in "Feel" of Vehicle while Riding None
Any repairs already attempted and the Outcome (Example: Cleaned Battery Terminals, no change) New battery earlier this year
Results of any Tests already performed (Compression, Spark, Voltage, Battery Condition etc.) Blink code 41 is all I have done prior to posting question for assistance.

Thanks again for any help with this issue.
I suspect you took that specific paragraph of my post personally when indeed it was meant as a general statement. In fact, if you will take a moment to reread my post, specifically the paragraph you refer to that you seem to take offense to and believe pertains to you personally, you will note that it makes no mention of you specifically nor does it specifically state that you qualify for that group (or any other group for that matter), nor does it make any allusion to an idea that anyone who grew up playing video games is of any lesser value than someone who grew up tinkering with mechanical devices. The intelligent individual realizes that we all have our strong and weak points as well as varying skill sets and areas of expertise. Although I would feel fairly confident matching wits about most mechanical devices or firefighting/EMS with others I would feel at great disadvantage talking with a video gamer about computers and keyboard shortcuts.

Surely you must realize that although members post asking questions about their own specific problems many other members read their posts whether they respond or not and that all posts become a part of the Forum history which can be searched by others with similar problems to see if previous responses will help them. My response had nothing to do with my ego nor any attempt to insult yours. As a member here for quite some time, both asking questions and assisting others whenever possible, I've seen posts asking questions about problems with insufficient information provided quite often. It honestly gets old trying to help others and having to ask the same old questions of each individual repeatedly. Jungleman, the other respondent to your question, is also an Administrator of this Forum. My message was as much for his consumption as it was for yours or anyone else who might happen to read this thread. Jungleman is one of those who can take action to add a Sticky to the areas I suggested.

The issue you take here seems to have more to do with your pereception of my intent than anything it has to do with my ego. If I had to respond again I wouldn't change one word, however if I had known how you would react I would not have responded either. I certainly don't need to absorb personal attacks assuming I am some kind of an egomaniac from someone who knows nothing about me when members come here asking favors of help.

In any case you have now provided sufficient information to help others help you. Jungleman is one of the members best known for his excellent advice. You're in good hands. Good luck resolving your problem.

Reactions: BPS

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700 XP
5 Posts
I have an '08 700XP and went through a very similar problem. I purchased mine fairly cheap, mainly because it would barely idle, and would die when I stepped on the gas pedal. Of course, it had several other mechanical issues that needed to be addressed. Mine showed codes 41 and 46 if I remember correctly. Here's what I ultimately found, and what I'd suggest.

1. Cracked rubber intake manifold boot. This is a common issue. It will create a major air leak and cause all kinds of problems. Look yours over thoroughly and replace it if you see any cracks.
2. Low Fuel Pressure. My fuel pressure was only about 19psi. These machines need around 37 to 39 psi. I bought a complete pump assembly from Amazon and dropped it in.
3. Bad Throttle Position Sensor. I purchased a harness to plug inline in the TPS harness to make checking the voltage easier. My TPS voltage was jumping around a bit, and was not coming back to the same values consistently. I replaced it with an Amazon sensor.
4. TBap Sensor and Harness. I tested continuity on my OEM TBap harness back to the ECM. It tested fine on all four terminals and it looked fine. I went ahead and replaced it with an Amazon version anyways. I also replace the TBap sensor just to be sure.

I went ahead and replaced the plugs and plug wires, and checked everything else over to be sure I hadn't missed anything. Note that even after these items were replaced it was running very rich, and was stumbling off idle. I had double and triple checked the voltage settings on the throttle position sensor, and double checked everything else. After a bit of online digging I ended up finding a post somewhere where someone had to use different TPS voltage settings to get their Ranger to run. I believe they had the same rich condition, and eventually just adjusted the TPS on the side of the throttle body while it was running until things smoothed out. As much as I wanted to follow the manual and factory settings, for whatever reason I had to do the same on the fly adjustment on mine. It now runs like a charm.

Based on the description of your problem I'd rent a fuel pressure tester from your local auto parts store (if you don't already have one), and see where you're at for fuel pressure. I'd also look over that intake boot carefully, and check for faulty TBap wiring (google will show you the best procedure for this). I'd guess one of those three things, and maybe a bad throttle position sensor, or maybe a combination of those things will be the cause of your problem.

Please respond back as I'm curious as to what you find.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Newell , thanks for sharing your expierience with your 2008 ! I am just curious about the AMAZON TPS .

"My TPS voltage was jumping around a bit, and was not coming back to the same values consistently. I replaced it with an Amazon sensor. "

I am constantly receiving mail about bad expieriences with the $12.00 Amazon/Ebay TPS knock offs. Can you give us a link to the one you are happy with ?

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700 XP
5 Posts
Here's the one that I purchased. The cheap Amazon sensors can certainly be hit or miss. I've found that for the most part, though, they'll work just fine. My local dealer had a Polaris sensor on hand, but it was over $200.00. I can buy a lot of $12.00 sensors for that. Many times OEM parts are made by the same manufacturers as the aftermarket parts. I'm not sure who makes the OEM TPS sensor. I don't think my original had any numbers on it. The Bosch Tbap sensor that I also purchased on Amazon has the same exact part number as the OEM sensor. I could have purchased it through Polaris for a lot more money, too. I'm not saying the TPS sensor is the same, but the Tbap certainly is. I've linked the Tbap sensor below as well.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Thanks ! So you were able to set this TPS base .528 VDC and flow .660 VDC and it would swing all the way up to 3.6 VDC ? No idle or rev issues ?

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700 XP
5 Posts
That's what I started at. It also swung up to 3.6 accordingly. When properly set at these values it was very rich. The voltages to the ECM were correct, so the sensor was doing its job. For whatever reason my ECM mapping created a rich condition with those voltage readings. I ended up manually adjusting it very slowly while the engine was running until it would idle and run properly. I don't recall the final measurements off of the top of my head, unfortunately. If I were you I'd start at the .528 base and .660 at idle and go from there. These numbers seem to work for most Rangers of this era.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
New, the 2007 & 2008 700's are known for not operating at TPS spec base & flow. Did you clean and check the throttle body and make sure that the throttle plate was completely covering the bore before setting the base ?

My 2007 700 has to be at base .560 and flow at .670 ish in order to function 'properly' . That is off of a .528 base and a .710 flow spec.

Thanks again for all the info and I am going to try one of these TPS and report back to the forum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the information Newell, I will check on the pressure gage this weekend. I will follow up on replacing TBAP when it comes in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I started at. It also swung up to 3.6 accordingly. When properly set at these values it was very rich. The voltages to the ECM were correct, so the sensor was doing its job. For whatever reason my ECM mapping created a rich condition with those voltage readings. I ended up manually adjusting it very slowly while the engine was running until it would idle and run properly. I don't recall the final measurements off of the top of my head, unfortunately. If I were you I'd start at the .528 base and .660 at idle and go from there. These numbers seem to work for most Rangers of this era.

Yesterday I had some time to look into changing the TBAP harness. Me being the second owner of the machine had no ideal the previous owner had changed out the harness at least once before. The problem is that the harness he changed to did not have any numbers on it that would correspond to the new harness from OTB Powersports, to make matters worse a couple of the wires were disconnected and no way to tell what color wire they were attached to.

Does anyone know the color correspondence of the new OTB harness to the existing wiring harness?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700 XP
5 Posts
Here's the diagram that I used for my 2008 to ensure that my wiring was correct. If you're unsure if yours has been changed, then use a multi-meter on the continuity setting from the pins on the ECM plug to the Tbap connector. Once you know they're in the correct order on the Tbap plug, then make the connections to the new plug accordingly.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yellow Font Cable Auto part Wire

Newell, this is the one I purchased. Is this the one you replaced yours with? If so do you know which colors corresponded to the original harness? Trying to ensure I get it right based on the testing method you posted above. And thank you for the help. Also is there anyway to test the stator?

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Yesterday I had some time to look into changing the TBAP harness. Me being the second owner of the machine had no ideal the previous owner had changed out the harness at least once before. The problem is that the harness he changed to did not have any numbers on it that would correspond to the new harness from OTB Powersports, to make matters worse a couple of the wires were disconnected and no way to tell what color wire they were attached to.

Does anyone know the color correspondence of the new OTB harness to the existing wiring harness?

Thanks
O, 2007 700 OTB TBAP Wire Color Conversion

Polaris OTB

VIOLET to RED

PINK w white stripe BLACK

ORANGE YELLOW

PINK GREEN

1 - 20 of 40 Posts