PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ranger 700 XP
5 Posts
View attachment 140889
Newell, this is the one I purchased. Is this the one you replaced yours with? If so do you know which colors corresponded to the original harness? Trying to ensure I get it right based on the testing method you posted above. And thank you for the help. Also is there anyway to test the stator?
I purchased a different brand from Amazon as the OTB harness was going to take longer to get at that time. I don't recall the colors on my wires, but I used my multi-meter on the continuity setting again to narrow down which color went to which terminal on the plug. Then I used the chart that I attached above to ensure I was making the correct connections.

The stator can be tested fairly easily with a standard multi-meter. Here's a link to a video that describes the general procedure -
. I had to replace mine as one of the three phase wires was not measuring correctly and it was not charging properly. When I opened up the side cover and got to the stator it had a noticeable burnt spot. I ended up replacing both the stator and regulator / rectifier and have been good to go since. Note that the flywheel does have to come off to get to the stator. Here's the puller that I used on mine - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VMQKLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Here are links to the stator and regulator that I purchased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MRHS55S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, Amazon.com. Normally, I'd purchase these components from RM Stator, but again I needed the parts right away, and these two were both available in 1 to 2 days with Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Newell, update on progress now that Christmas is over. Replaced TBAP and no change, found I am also not getting 12 volts to feul pump. Not sure which way to go now.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
O, if you had disconnected wires on your old TBAP harness and repairing that harness with a new a properly connected OTB harness did not make a difference , that is just way bizarre. Btw, you do not need 12 VDC to the fuel pump. I can't recall but did you ever check the fuel pressure for 39 psi ?

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Should you hear anything when you turn the key sending feul?
You should hear a distinct hum for a few seconds coming from the fuel tank.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
Check the connection to the fuel assembly. They sometimes do not make good connection.........at the connection. Sometimes the contact point on the underside of the assembly gets burned as well. You need minimum 7 volts for the pump.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Intersting conversation. I haven't changed any of the harnesses or sensors on my 07 yet so I'm curious about what is going to work. The best thing I did to mine was change the fuel cell to an 08 so I could replace the fuel pump assembly if I needed to. I was so tired of having to bandaid my old one.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
O, that round black canister filter right above the fuel pump is notorious for plugging up or cracking which dumps the fuel back into the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
O, that round black canister filter right above the fuel pump is notorious for plugging up or cracking which dumps the fuel back into the tank.

Thanks will check that, ordered pump and pressure valve. Is that what you're saying to check?

·
Registered
221 Posts
JM is referring to a black filter cannister that is just above the pump. Mine cracked in half so I removed it, plumbed around it and added an external filter. However, over time I discovered I couldn't keep the fuel line attached to the pump but so long and ended up back into the fuel cell several times over a few years. I got tired of that and ordered an 08 tank that I can replace the entire fuel pump assembly if I need to. FYI, the fuel pump assy is not available for the 07.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
JM is referring to a black filter cannister that is just above the pump. Mine cracked in half so I removed it, plumbed around it and added an external filter. However, over time I discovered I couldn't keep the fuel line attached to the pump but so long and ended up back into the fuel cell several times over a few years. I got tired of that and ordered an 08 tank that I can replace the entire fuel pump assembly if I need to. FYI, the fuel pump assy is not available for the 07.
[/QU

Thanks for the clarification, I will definitely check this when I get the new pump.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok update to my problem. Changed TBAP harness, feel pump came in today. Got it changed, pumped all old gas out of tank started fresh. Cranks and idles but a little rough still showing 42 code.

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
O, Code 42 is the ENGINE TEMP SENSOR .... you may want to check the wiring to the thermister . Unplug the harness from it and see if the fans kicks on full time. That is the test. The thermister is located around on the drivers side under the thermostat housing location. What was that fuel pressure ? You could have canister filter problems in the tank and won't know until you actually check the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
O, Code 42 is the ENGINE TEMP SENSOR .... you may want to check the wiring to the thermister . Unplug the harness from it and see if the fans kicks on full time. That is the test. The thermister is located around on the drivers side under the thermostat housing location. What was that fuel pressure ? You could have canister filter problems in the tank and won't know until you actually check the fuel pressure.

Thanks I will check that tomorrow. I have a buddy supposedly coming by tomorrow with his fuel pressure tester

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I will say the new fuel pump sounds 10x better than the old one.

I appreciate all the help you guys have provided.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, not much progress with my problem. Wife came down with covid right after Christmas, got her over it and then I had it, just now getting over it myself. Hopefully back on trying to figure this out in a few days.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts