PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday we where doing trail riding basically didn't go thru no water, little to no mud, drove it calm nothing aggressive for a change and went thru 2 belts yesterday one a hour after getting to the park and the other one 3 hours after I changed the first. Both times I took the rear clutch and cleaned it. Cleaned the front the best I could with out taking it off. Just trying to figure out what's going on because that's 4 belts in 3 weeks so far

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Yikes! - that's getting real expensive, real fast. Possibly a belt alignment problem?? If you are still under warranty, I'd have your dealer fix it - you should get a 1000 miles or more from your belts!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. I guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow when they open up and see what they say. Thanks for help

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yes it is. I guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow when they open up and see what they say. Thanks for help

Jesus bro. You have the patience of Job. I'd have been blocking the gate to the dealers yard after the second belt. Hmmm, 4 belts in 3 weeks? I'm gonna check the Guinness Book. You may have a record!! Good luck.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
no kidding i used mine for three years replaced it just because it was old still good belt my kawasaki 650 pararie had the same belt for 11 years still good belt wow i agree i would be at the stealership wanting a new ranger asap T&S

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is 1000 miles the life expectancy of a belt? If so, I need to replace mine then on my 900 crew. Daggone, haha.
Keep us posted on the culprit of your situation though.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Is 1000 miles the life expectancy of a belt? If so, I need to replace mine then on my 900 crew. Daggone, haha.
Keep us posted on the culprit of your situation though.
2500 miles on my 2013 900 belt. But, my ranger leads a pretty leisurely life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see what they tell me tomorrow when I call and because I've been thinking about getting something else because it's frustrating to be riding and keep breaking belts while everyone else is still riding

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are you burning the belts do you smell rubber has to be something else going on that's causing this. Are you driving it in high range below 20 mph while trail riding.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I never changed the belt on my 6x6 due to necessity and only once because I was told another brand was better. I saved the original as a spare and had many hours on the machine that I used for 80% work and 20% play. I do Cell site cabling down mountain sides and used my Ranger to pull loads up and down mountainsides beyond what was spec'd for with ever having an incident, whatever is wrong with you're machine I hope they get it figured out, because it's not normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trail riding is above 25 and I tried it slow and in low and it smelled like I was actually burning up the belt more

·
Registered
389 Posts
Man I just don't know. I would take to the dealer but if nobody here can figure it out its going to be hard for a dealer too also let us all know the out come of this please

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you can, post good clear pictures of the sides of all the bad belts. Usually you can tell what the problem is just by the wear pattern on the belt.

·
Registered
755 Posts
There is a spacer on the 900 secondary, but there is not a shimming or alignment procedure on a 900. There is a shaft spacing requirement on the '13 and was supposedly omitted on the '14 which makes me scratch my head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had same issue with after market belt and put on factory belt and it's been on there ever since with no problem. Thought I would save some money on that after market belt. Ha ha at least it broke while working and not hunting.

·
Special Advisor
1,480 Posts
Shimming the secondary is very incremental, not enough to be so out of alignment to blow belts. "Trail riding is above 25 and I tried it slow and in low and it smelled like I was actually burning up the belt more" I think the belt got burned in high first, which would result in a smell in low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the first 2 belts where the factory ones and the other 2 where gates high performance ones and all 4 exploded like nothing left I don't know how that can happen. As to the burnt smell, when we should up to the park I rode it in low going like 10-15mph and I smelled it burning so I decided to just go to high and it went away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts