PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this weekend on the way to my stand that i had some popping coming from my right rear tire.. when i looked i saw some grease under the outer boot. Figured i just tore a boot. After washing i noticed the whole boot has come off of the joint? no rips in the boot? Can i refill with grease or is the popping a sign of damage an need to be replaced?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Popping is typically a sign of damage. You could try replacing the boot, but I have a feeling that damage has already been done.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with the popping sound. But my boot is intact with no grease leaking. Mine is a 2009 700 4x4 ranger xp crew. It is also the same right tire axle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If it were me, I'd pull the axle and remove the CV joints, flush/clean them really well in some solvent and inspect them. If they look ok, I'd put everything back together, repack the joints with new grease, and keep running it until it gets really bad. Axles are expensive, might as well run it as long as you can. Buying cv joint grease from the auto parts store instead of the dealership will save you some money as well.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
x2 on that drive it like you stole it until it breaks T&S
If it were me, I'd pull the axle and remove the CV joints, flush/clean them really well in some solvent and inspect them. If they look ok, I'd put everything back together, repack the joints with new grease, and keep running it until it gets really bad. Axles are expensive, might as well run it as long as you can. Buying cv joint grease from the auto parts store instead of the dealership will save you some money as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is usually my motto... but i just didnt want to get into tearing up more than the axle if i could help it... thanks for the input fellas! Ill tear it down today and see what i got..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I always pack the tools to remove an axle. It's not a difficult job in the field and you can run without the axle in.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I always pack the tools to remove an axle. It's not a difficult job in the field and you can run without the axle in.
Ditto. But beware that some of the older machines (like my '06) would lose oil (and let in water) from the rear diff' with the axle removed. In my spare parts kit I carried a plastic plug that fit into the diff' socket for this reason. I think that the newer one piece tranny/diff' on the '10 and newer have a dry axle socket and you wouldn't have to worry about that issue. To my knowledge, ALL front diff's have a dry socket.......so it is only the rear diff' on older models that are a concern.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes, the outer.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Guys, don't we need the stub axle to hold the hub tight?
Yeap.......I forgot about that. Removing the ENTIRE axle would be bad. Luckily, it's typically the outer joint that fails and you can leave that part attached to the hub after removing the rest of the axle.

Reactions: RiverRunner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts