PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here and need a little help. With Christmas coming up, I was wondering how I can get more ground clearance to put a 28 or 29 on my 2013 ranger 900. I have seem the lift kits from like 200 dollars then I've also seen the arched and forward arms??? I don't know if those provide lift though so I'm confused. Will someone school me on this please? Do you need a lift kit plus new arms? I only want about 2-3 inchs of lift nothing crazy.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
If you want to run 28 or 29" tires, you'll need forward A-arms. Arched aren't completely necessary, but they are beneficial and provide a little extra clearance. I have Backwoods Armor forward arched A-arms on my RZR and love them. A good combo would be the forward arched arms with a 2" lift and 29" tires.

BTW, nice screen name. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks commander. I have seen a outkast 3 inch system for 700 is that a good one to get? Also am I ok on stock axles with a 2 or 3 inch lift ? Or will the angle be real steep on the cv

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I'm sure that the Outkast kit is fine, but I've got enough experience with Backwoods Armor to have confidence in recommending them.

Ask 3 people and you'll get 4 different answers.......but you asked, so here's my opinion on the lift and axles. Any lift at all will decrease reliability of the CV joints, but I feel that lifts exceeding 2" are much worse on stock CV's, so I typically discourage 3"+ lifts when they can be avoided. Unless you're a deep mudder guy that wants/needs every inch of ground clearance you can get, the best method is to use as little lift possible to clear the size tires you're wanting to run. I'm pretty sure that you can clear 28's with only the forward arms, but you're gonna also need a lift to clear the 29's. Keep in mind that all tire sizes don't run true to their advertised size.......many can be larger or smaller.

As long as you don't drive it hard and be cautious about turning the wheels hard (especially when in AWD and/or in reverse), the stock CV's will hold up decently. With that being said, eventually you probably will break one....and when you do, I'd upgrade to something a little beefier. I ran stock CV's with 28's for quite a while in my Ranger before I had to upgrade to Gorilla axles. I have only broken 1 CV on my RZR since adding 30's, but that was my wife's driving error and not really related to tire size and axle angle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool. What 2 inch lift do you recommend ? Or could I do just like a 2 inch lift for now and 28s then later down the road do the arched arms ? Or would you do the 2 inch lift arched front arms? If u do that what lifts the back ??? Will I have to do a clutch kit for 28 inch or 29 inch tires ?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What 28s are you going with? I have some buddies with 900s running 28 OLRs and Mullites by just moving their front shocks to the outer holes which is what I would do if I was just going to 28". Going from 28" to 29"+ is where lifts become mandatory and clutch upgrades are a higher priority then too. IMO it comes down to what you want and how much money you plan on spending, once you go above 28" get you checkbook ready. You can get by with just the tires if staying 28" or below, depending on what tire, as Jerry said, since they measure differently.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Another thought, I assume you are from TN and do most your riding in the rocky trails? If so I would invest in a complete skid plate like a Trail Armor before I invested in tires. The clearance over rocks is not going to matter as much once you are protected properly underneath.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Ok cool. What 2 inch lift do you recommend ? Or could I do just like a 2 inch lift for now and 28s then later down the road do the arched arms ? Or would you do the 2 inch lift arched front arms? If u do that what lifts the back ??? Will I have to do a clutch kit for 28 inch or 29 inch tires ?
First, you really need to decide which size tire you want to use. The 28 will only require a lift while the 29 will require forward arms. A lift kit typically comes as a package for the front and the rear. Call John at Backwoods Armor and he can hook you up with what you need.

Reactions: GoVols

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a number for backwoods ???? Can't seem to get a hold of anyone there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does anyone have a number for backwoods ???? Can't seem to get a hold of anyone there
1-800-496-7304...if no one answers leave a message and they will return your call.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I put the Marshall MotoArt lift on my 800 Ranger...took only an hour to install... Very very easy for a novice like myself. You might want to check out their website.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aright, I got in touch with backwoods today and got me some of the arched fronts and rear arms with the 2 inch lift ordered. Very nice lady that helped me out. My question now is what tires would yall recommend? Can I run 29's without stressing axles too bad ? also concerns of needing a clutch kit.... TIA. :) excited to get my arms in a few weeks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts