1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need new tires. any advice

It seems like it's time for some new tires on my 900... "and a good washing"
20151031_102241_zpsmh9yhtbq.jpg

I have a few questions if you guys dont' mind helping me with.

Edit. originally i was looking at the Kanati Mongral and Maxxis Ceros but i've been looking all over the place and i may have found what I'm looking for.

Maxxis Viprs look like they run smooth "smoother then the PXTs" but still have lugs so snow and sloppy gravel won't be an issue. 6 ply. and they come in the right size for my rims!!! a little bit more expensive but probably worth it compared to my original idea of getting some road tires for summer and take off PXTs for winter.

anyone have any experiance with this tire? how is the sizing? i've been reading the PXTs are actually 25" tires not the 26" they're considered by polaris stats... would i want to go with 25"s to maintain similar size? i know the ranger won't have any issue running 26" but i'm worried about the speedometer being off.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about the Mongrels....the cerros idk so can't comment on them

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Tensor regulators and EFX Moto Hammers are also great choices for hard pack riding.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm hoping to keep using my stock rims though.

hum question. the Maxxis Big horns 26" that would work with the stock rims say one is 26-9-12 and 26-12-12 why is this 12" wide instead of the typical 11" wide??? is that a typo little confused here... the 14" rim version is 11" wide :S tires are confusing...

·
Registered
621 Posts
The black diamond xtr's are damn good tires, a few guys with rzr's around here run them and love them. If you were considering the bighorn id recommend the itp blackwater evolutions over the bighorns as the BWE's are better suited for a heavy side x side application due their higher load rating and 8 ply construction. Also true 1" lugs on the blackwaters.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
to be honest i'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for XD tires are confusing... what I'm thinking i want is something that's smoother/longer lasting then the PXTs but still grippy enough to be good in snow and better on ice then the PXTs. the PXTs kinda suck on ice... i've been sideways like 4 times now...

someone suggested bighorns on the other site. i was thinking mongrels at first but now i'm thinking the Viprs look good but the stats you're claiming about the blackwaters sound really good!

are they kinda bumpy though? those lugs are pretty big!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I read mixed results on them in regards to ride quality. Sounds like everything else about them is good though. I think they will be the tire I go with when i need as set as I too would like something along the same lines as what your looking for. I'd worry about the vipers as the tread pattern is similar to the PXT's....a little closer spaced yes, but similar...Tough call!

·
Registered
174 Posts
we have john deere 825i with big horns and we seem to blow the side walls out so far only the rear ones... its dads machine (pos) lol other then that i have no complaints about them

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
that's how mine looks all the time lol T&S
It seems like it's time for some new tires on my 900... "and a good washing"
View attachment 14879

I have a few questions if you guys dont' mind helping me with.

Edit. originally i was looking at the Kanati Mongral and Maxxis Ceros but i've been looking all over the place and i may have found what I'm looking for.

Maxxis Viprs look like they run smooth "smoother then the PXTs" but still have lugs so snow and sloppy gravel won't be an issue. 6 ply. and they come in the right size for my rims!!! a little bit more expensive but probably worth it compared to my original idea of getting some road tires for summer and take off PXTs for winter.

anyone have any experiance with this tire? how is the sizing? i've been reading the PXTs are actually 25" tires not the 26" they're considered by polaris stats... would i want to go with 25"s to maintain similar size? i know the ranger won't have any issue running 26" but i'm worried about the speedometer being off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts