PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2013 Ranger Crew is broken, and need some wisdom on the best way to fix the problems. Little about my machine, it has the Backwoods Arched Front 2" lift kit, running 29.5x10 Swamp Lite tires, with 604 total miles on it.
2014_11_24_08_24_30.jpg

First problem is the broken CV joint where it attaches to the wheel hub. While you can't see it in the picture, its totally shredded inside. Pulled the wheel off and attempted to take wheel hub off, was unable to take wheel hub off, but was able to see inside and watch all the ball bearings and shrapnel fall out when tilted at the right angle. What is the best way to fix this problem? I say this unsure if its a one off deal or if entire new assemblies are sold. For example, on my Chevy, its cheaper and better to just buy whole new assembly(axle/shaft with new sealed boots on each end) than it is to try to replace one side of of the assembly.
2014_11_23_14_33_24.jpg

Second problem, how do you take the wheel hub off? There are two bolts, one on top and one on bottom. The top one pulled right out with zero problems. The bottom one, which is shown in the picture, will not come out. It spins freely, but will not slide out. Took a hammer to it, will not budge at all, took a clamp to it, still no luck. Looking at the bolt, it appears as though it should just come straight out.

Third problem is the clutch. The only reason we found the wheel hub/CV boot problem is we were looking at the drive belt. Was starting to slip pretty bad, so knew it was time to replace belt, but also wanted to make the necessary clutch changes needed to turn this much tire. What is the hot ticket on clutches currently? Remember a year+ ago when I was looking at this, there was the DDP that made a great clutch kit, and some others, EPI, etc. who were starting to make some good kits, but there really was not any definitive answer as to what was the better bang for buck. The DDP guy was 2 or 3 times the money of the other manufactures, which some times means its better but also might not, so wanted to get updated input on this clutch issue.

Also wanted to thank you all for finding those G-Force drive belts, ordered up a couple yesterday, way better value than the factor Polaris belts.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
(1) Yes, replacing the entire axle is more economical than replacing the CV.
(2) That bolt DOES need to be removed. Not sure why yours won't come out. I don't think that I've ever heard that complaint and definitely never had that problem with any that I've worked on.
(3) A lot of debate about the third question. Although I have no personal experience with them, the ultimate clutch looks like it would be the SVT Duraclutch.
I'm a big fan of DDP clutches and have had them in both of my SXS's. Most of the time their extra expense is because a complete DDP kit will include either a complete secondary or a new helix and spring for the secondary. So make sure you're comparing apples to apples when comparing them to something like a kit from EPI.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just had the same problem with the bolts holding the hub on. I just removed the bolts holding the a arms to the frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jerry, was hoping you would chime in on this. That bolt is a serious PIA, spent 20 minutes on it before I gave up. How hard/easy is it to swap the axle assembly out?

After reading your post, read up on the Duraclutch, sounds like that is a nice set up. Its basically in the same pain zone as the DDP. Ill give Hunterworks a call, see what he has to say, he seems to be the Duraclutch pimp.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
........How hard/easy is it to swap the axle assembly out?........
It's pretty easy........once you get that bolt out.:playful:
After removing the axle nut, brake caliper, hub, and bearing carrier, the axle will slide out of the diff' (have to give it a sharp yank).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went ahead and ordered up some Cobra Axles, they were $250 each out the door. Hopefully we will not have this problem in the future.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
DDP clutch is the best for your tire size. Dura clutch is only for 28'' tires max. As Jerry stated DDP is more because you get more. I have his ultimate step which is complete new primary and secondary with engine braking. Simple install and amazing results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hunterworks posted today big tires are not a problem for the duraclutch???

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I've ran DDP clutches on every SXS I've ever had and they always work great! It is also my understanding that the DuraClutch is limited to 28" and under.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts