PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the radiator was installed my ranger has been having the engine light come on. Took it to dealer and he plugged it in to find out it said fouled pluged to due hard starts. So they replaced the plug. Well my light still comes on. Seems to happen more in cold weather. And it takes forever to start. It just turns over hesitates and then finally fires up.
Dealer says the plug fouling is due to the bike not being run long enough. To many short trips. I don't know much about the macanics but for a machine with only 7 hours it's pissing me off.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Why did you have a new radiator installed with only 7 hrs on the machine. These things are controlled my a fuel map and it should not be loading up. if the check engine light is on the dealer should fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radiator was swapped out from another ranger cause mine was leaking when I picked it up. In hide sight I never should have even left the dealer knowing it was dripping Coolent.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dealer is putting you off. Hoping warrenty
will run out. Then he can charge you.
just my .02

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I have to sort of agree with the above. That machine is EFI and should NOT be fouling plugs.....and short trips has nothing to do with it. Since they obviously don't seem to know what they're talking about, I'd look for another dealer to take it to.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off phone with dealer. They said they talked to a different guy at polaris this morning. Polaris said that they are aware of a starting issue and asked if my bike had the latest software update. Appearently my bike was an early 2015 model that doesnt have he latest version. So they downloaded the software to my bike and are letting it sit over night and see how it starts in the morning. Dealer said that if it still has issues that he has a "case" started with polaris so we can take it to the "next level"

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That's not the first I've heard of this. The 570 razr where having that same issue. My buddy put a fuel controller on his to solve the issue. It was running way too rich

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't believe I should personally have to do anything to make it run correctly. It should be running perfect when I buy it. I'm not happy with my purchase.
And I don't believe I should be should be stuck with a new bike that's been under the knife, so to speak, so many times.
I mean I paid full price and have been without the bike for over a week in the first month I've owned it. How is that fair to me?
"Yeah I'll buy that bike, pay top dollar, constantly keep bring it back and calling you, let you keep it for an extended period in hopes that it will be in like new condition."
I don't feel it's fair to me to be stuck with a problematic bike and inconvenienced. Hell if it were anything else I'd return it to the store with the receipt. But I know, it's like a car and gun. It has a serial number and paper trail. Can't just return it for a new one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just picked my ranger back up from the dealer because I need it for hunting this weekend. They said that polaris says that the bike is as good at it is going to get with the software update. The dealer still does not like how sluggish it is to start it has to turn over four or five times before it fires so I will be taking it back on Monday so that they can keep playing with it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Have yall tried tried a better battery? My 500 used to be sluggish with stock shitty battery but after I installed a large agm battery it fires right off.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer looked at my battery and said it was fine. Bigger then the other mid 570 they have in stock. Said it puts out 330 cold amps. They don't know why it's larger battery but guess it may be because I have the LE with power steering.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. I still don't have my ranger back from dealer. I've owned it for 6 Weeks now and it been at the dealer for over 2 weeks. They said they talked to Polaris engineering and they remote looked at it via plugging my ranger unto the dealer computer then Polaris can look on the computer. Polaris doesn't have an answer. They don't know why it won't start without struggling in cold weather. I'm supposed to wait a few more days cause Polaris is supposed to get back to the dealer. I need my ranger for hunting this weekend. It sucks to have spent big money on a machine that was supposed to make my hunting easier only to find out it won't work in the cold.
I should be allowed to return it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FWIW, my 2015 570 midsize EPS cranks a very long time before it starts. It is worse when it has set for a few days. Occasionally it sets a DTC 052338 when it starts and I haven't found anything to tell me what that DTC signifies. I'm not all too worried about it as the check engine light goes off on next key cycle. When I run some more of the gas the dealer put in out, I'll refill with name brand 87 octane and she how it starts then.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Polaris knows they have a problem. You should make sure you have the latest software update. That took care of my check engine light.
The odd part is that the dealers full size 570 fires right up no problems.
I see absolutely no reason why these machines can't start the same way regardless of weather. They are fuel injection, with proper battery there should be no issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW, my 2015 570 midsize EPS cranks a very long time before it starts. It is worse when it has set for a few days. Occasionally it sets a DTC 052338 when it starts and I haven't found anything to tell me what that DTC signifies. I'm not all too worried about it as the check engine light goes off on next key cycle. When I run some more of the gas the dealer put in out, I'll refill with name brand 87 octane and she how it starts then.
I am receiving the same code with a 31 below it. Was curious if you have figured out the problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, I have the 31 too. I mistyped the DTC above and it should read 520338. Have not figured it out. I looked at all the online manuals and could not find a description for that code. Must be new for 2015. Only seems to set on a cold start. Next key cycle it is gone so I'm not going to make the 1 hour trip to the dealer unless it gets worse or I need something else done. Would like to at least know what part of the fuel system the code represents though. New to look into where I can get a 2105 service manual.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The sensors on EFI machines are really sensitive to changes in base-line voltage ; you shouldn't have to do this, BUT nothing to lose. Remove battery terminals, clean, inspect ; clean, inspect engine, chassis grounds; unplug harness connectors, clean, reassemble. You get the picture.A loose or broken wire can cause hard to pin down issues.
Also, fuel could be an issue; the ethanol is supposed to be only 10%, but that may vary upwards quite a bit. If I have to use ethanol blend, I use StarTron or Stabil ethanol treatment to prevent phase separation ( ethanol reverting to water and alcohol) Even non-ethanol gas isn't contamination free, I use additive with it too.
Hope yours gets sorted out, these are not confidence-inspiring for a machine that we trust to take us well off the Beaten Path.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am receiving the same code with a 31 below it. Was curious if you have figured out the problem?
I called the dealer today and was told it is the speed sensor they told me that even a little slip of a tire can trip that code and to not worry about it unless it stays on!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is feeding you some crap. Another one of those problems where the dealer says its normal and don't bring it back in.. Lol

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not normal. Mine was doing the same thing. My dealer had to update the software, or are least that's what they told me. So now I don't get the light but it still don't start right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts