PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my the old front outer joint on my '05 500 4x4 to replace the torn boot. When it came off, some of the outer race broke into pieces, so I ordered a set of them for replacement. Got the new boot on, cleaned everything up and greased up the joint, but I am having one hell of a time getting the joint to pop into place.

I've got it lined up right, the splines are good, but it won't drive on. I tried at first with the old clip still on the shaft, but it wasn't working. Had my wife, then my neighbor hold the shaft in tight (it was 'bouncing' when I attempted it myself, due to the movement on the inner joint), but still no go. So I pulled the old circlip and put the new one on. I've tried lightly tapping it, popping it with a rubber mallet, and then with my 4# beater. It won't go past the clip, even though I've got the clip ends lined up with the space they slide into. What in the hell am I doing wrong here? I've watched quite a few youtube videos to see what I'm not doing right, and every one of them seem to have no problem whatsoever. Even after searching post on here about it, it seems like most people just rap it a few times and, bang, it's seated. I'm really ready to start throwing tools here. HELP!!

·
6,910 Posts
showme, having a bit of trouble following you but it appears you purchased new outer joints and the old drive shaft will NOT jive with the new joint ?

Hate to state the obvious but it may be a problem with the new joint. Have you tried removing that joint and installing the one you bought for the other side ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but I'll give that a shot. The other side's boot is fine so I'm not going to mess with it after the hassle this one's given me. I was even thinking about pulling the circlip off and putting it inside the new joint before putting it on. Every video and the manual have just shown putting it on with the clip already on the spindle. Maybe if I try shoving it on there with the clip in place, it might seat itself. I'm just scratching my head as to why the procedures that seem to be simple to everyone else are causing so much grief on mine. Had another miss hap at the end of the days yesterday. While putting the passenger side back together after installing new ball joint, bearing, brake pads and shock cartridge, the rotor/hub wouldn't go in far enough to get even one thread started on the spindle. After tapping it, rocking it and cussing at it, I pulled it back off to re-set it. When I pulled it out, the outer bearing casing/race came out with the hub(?!?!). I quit for the day after that one. This thing is kicking my ass! I've never had this kind of trouble with any other vehicle when working with bearings, ball joints, etc.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,597 Posts
I had a similar problem when I replaced a boot on one of my front driveshafts. The problem was that although it appeared that the shaft was going into he splined hole straight and square it was actually very slightly angled. I made the mistake of taking a hammer to it as well and ended up deforming the end of the external splines and the circlip as well as the groove the circlip rides in.

Fortunately I was able to "massage" the splines and groove with a file and cutting wheel on a Dremel tool and carefully reform the circlip. Note the circlip should ride in it's groove freely. If the groove has gotten crushed by hammering the circlip cannot retract to enter the splined hole.

I suggest a careful insepction of the splines, and circlip groove. If you're lucky you haven't damaged them. Be careful about alignment and assure things are lined up straight, square and parallel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, pryo, I will do that tomorrow. I didn't even touch it today. The wife and I drove down to our property and poked around and I took the day off from the aggravation. But when we got down there, without the ranger to ride around in, (the tractor only has one seat! and the truck is too long to take anywhere but the main roads, we looked around and left. Never hit me till now how important that thing is on the 43 acres.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always like to put a zip tie on the shaft and compress the clip before driving the joint on, even with that it can be frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts