PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, new front differential installed, 4x4 came on when back tires spun in 2x4. Fluid was a little low, added fluid and now it has a vibration in 4x4. Correct amount of fluid, checked it twice, rode it around the yard and rechecked it. Only thing I noticed was where the U joint connects the in input shaft on the diff, its has a slight bit of play up and down. Put a 5/16 fine thread bolt when installed new diff. You think I got a bad diff???????

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
nothing is outta the question here, but...an easier suggestion at fixing it (yah...easier...you'll kick me later for this..lol) try putting a roll pin in there instead of a bolt, if the bolt is weighted heavier on one side than the other, it'll cause some vibration.

as for slop, this is pretty common on ALL the polaris's ive touched. one way to stop it is to weld em solid... LOL...yes i said that but i dont suggest that AT ALL. i have done it for ppl though.

other option is to buy a new front yoke...but with time, itll happen again so heads up.

personally, id start with the pin though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the bolt weighing more. It doesn't vibrate in 2wd tho, only 4wd.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
SO, new front differential installed, 4x4 came on when back tires spun in 2x4. Fluid was a little low, added fluid and now it has a vibration in 4x4. Correct amount of fluid, checked it twice, rode it around the yard and rechecked it. Only thing I noticed was where the U joint connects the in input shaft on the diff, its has a slight bit of play up and down. Put a 5/16 fine thread bolt when installed new diff. You think I got a bad diff???????
Guys, I don't think I have ever seen a Ranger didn't have at least some vibration. Take a close look at that finely tuned drive shaft there.......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is something that just started with the install of this new diff. It didn't have this vibration with the original diff. Only thing is, everything in the diff spins in 2wd. So I haven't found anything that would case a vibration in 4wd. At this point im clueless. I have even tried loosening the 4 bolts that mount the diff and getting the play out in all 4 directions.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Guys, I don't think I have ever seen a Ranger didn't have at least some vibration. Take a close look at that finely tuned drive shaft there.......

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Is the 4x4 working properly now?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every once and a while the 4x4 will catch while in 2wd. Just bothers me that my back tires may spin one day and the 4wd catch and really tear something up.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Every once and a while the 4x4 will catch while in 2wd. Just bothers me that my back tires may spin one day and the 4wd catch and really tear something up.
That is definitely not right. The drive needs to come back out and opened up..... Or sent back where it came from

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Rhinos have more movement in the joints.

From my thread:
Same symptoms I had after the Outkast lift and 30"s. You have axle bind. Replace the front axles with some that have more movement in the joints and your problem will go away. I used Rhino's and problem is gone. You could use limit straps too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It really sounds like a broken Hilliard cage. If I understand and remember correctly if the front drive engages while the switch is in 2wd it is either wired so that the magnet in the front end is hot all the time or the Hilliard is a.f.u.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Nope its not broke. It's too much lift causing axle bind. Every polaris running over a 2" lift will do this if they are on stick axles

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Nearly every 900 I've ridden in has some amount of vibration when the front diff' engages.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts