PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this really isn't an "access issue" but thought it was probably the closest appropriate category.....move it if you like. I feel it's worth letting a few people know, our brilliant legislaters here in TN (certainly being the authority on ATV safety) just passed an ATV helmet requirement here in TN for anyone riding any type of ATV.[}:)] More laws everytime you turn around these days. Don't get me wrong, it's well intended and is a good idea to wear one....but if I'm an adult and stupid enough not to wear one but then split my skull open on a big rock, then it's nobody's fault but my own and ought to be my decision. I haven't found a definite answer on how they'll classify the Ranger....but it could have an impact on a few fellow PRC members if you like to come and ride Windrock, Royal Blue/ Sundquist, Brimstone, etc.....ANYWHERE in TN. This has never been an issue up until now, so I've never bothered checking.....but I'll be finding out ASAP and will let everyone know the details of the law and how it affects the Ranger (assuming I can get a straight answer). I guess my gripe is, why do we need more government made laws when we can't enforce the ones that we have already. Sorry to vent...I started this rant elsewhere, but thought that I might ought to post it and make it a little more visible for others that may be planning to ride here in TN and possibly show up without a helmet. I don't know the details of when it will go into effect, etc..., but I'll add info' when I can. Any help with that would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.[:D]

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to get things ready to go to WV and ride the Hatfield/McCoy trails with some or our fellow PRC members and won't have much time to research until I get back next week.....but as soon as I do, I'm on it. While I always wear one on my sport quad, I don't want to while in the Ranger. I just don't push it THAT hard and feel like it ought to be my decision. The question is how it's going to be classified. If they're gonna make you wear one in the Ranger, it'll probably be Jeeps and all ORV's next!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cisco kid

Jerry,
The ranger or RZR are not a ATV but a UTV ;-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
From what I've been told so far, there is no "UTV" category in TN....at least not yet. I'm still working on gathering info', but the wheels of justice turn slow around here.

·
Special Advisor
8,943 Posts
The RZR is concidered an ATV. Thats what Polaris said when we were up there. The ranger is a UTV.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Wow, I did not not know that the RZR was an ATV so I chk my RZR manual and it is a
Polaris Ranger Utility Vehicles on the welcome section
I guess since it a Polaris Ranger RZR not a Polaris RZR on its own it the same as the Ranger a UTV ;-)

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently it doesn't matter what Polaris considers it.....it's how your STATE classifies it. That seems to be the consensus that I'm hearing.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
I SOOO agree with you that wearing a helmet should be the decision of the operator. I have a general rule about legislation like this: 'Don't make any laws that are designed to protect me from myself.'

The only consolation I can offer is to buy a carbon fiber helmet if you must wear one. I have a CF half helmet that I bought for riding my motorcycle (in states that require helmets), and its so light that I forget its on my head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts