PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
a couple screws to start with, and they do come loose over time, many people notice oil seepage there and tighten the screws regularly

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Auto part Hand Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Here is the backside to the same piece. Is this some type of PCV or smog equipment? My ranger has maybe 50 hrs on it and I perform maintenance regularly. I just put a battery on it about a mth ago and my wife had driven if 3-4 times since. I went out to take the kiddos for a ride in the snow when I saw the oil

·
Registered
618 Posts
I looked up the schematic for your machine. It looks like the breather cover fell off and the reed assy fell out from behind it. I would imagine the 2 bolts just came loose. Sorry I dont know how to paste the scematic picture in here. Go to ballequip.com and look up your machine. Once you have it go to the "engine, throttle body and valve cover" section. I doubt all need replace. You may get lucky and just have to replace the screws. I am seeing parts:

SCREW

COVER,BREATHER

ASM-REED W/GASKET

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
this is what your holding in your hand #3.Asm., Reed w/Gasket Text Line art Line Font Drawing
6Usage
25136099Cover, Valve1Usage
33021352Asm., Reed w/Gasket1Usage
47516607Screw2Usage
55432533Cover, Breather1Usage
63021671Plug, Spark, Champion RC7YC32Usage
71240494Adapter1Usage
87516734Screw2Usage
97081623Clamp, Hose1Usage
102410342Sensor, Throttle Position [Must also order O-Ring]1Usage
105413812O-Ring, TPS [Used w/2410342]1Usage
101203944Asm., Body, Throttle [Incl. Throttle Position Sensor, O-Ring]1Usage
112410720Sensor, Crank Position1Usage
125412632Seal, Valve Cover1Usage
137519036Screw1Usage
147517384Screw1Usage
155253217Plate, Restrictor [AN]1Usage
165813478Gasket, Restrictor Plate [AN

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Use blue Loktite on the screws when you put it back on. It's pretty common for those to rattle loose over time. I was having to tighten mine every 6 months or so, but no issues since adding Loktite.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
Use blue Loktite on the screws when you put it back on. It's pretty common for those to rattle loose over time. I was having to tighten mine every 6 months or so, but no issues since adding Loktite.
Use blue loctite 243, the 243 already has the primer mixed into it, 242 does not. (It's not necessary, but if you are having to purchase some)
Torque spec for the screws 20 +/- 5 inch lbs.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I've seen them leak and loosen up, but never come competely off.

When you go back together it wouldn't hurt to put a little blue loctite on the screws to keep them in place. The reed needs to be put in so that the flap is on top facing up. you want the engine to be able to "exhale" vapors out of the crankcase on the pistons downstroke, and the flap should flip shut on the upstroke. As open as that valve cover has been to the elements/dirt/ debris, I would once repaired run it a a couple miles then drop the engine oil and filter to get any junk out of your engine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen them leak and loosen up, but never come competely off.

When you go back together it wouldn't hurt to put a little blue loctite on the screws to keep them in place. The reed needs to be put in so that the flap is on top facing up. you want the engine to be able to "exhale" vapors out of the crankcase on the pistons downstroke, and the flap should flip shut on the upstroke. As open as that valve cover has been to the elements/dirt/ debris, I would once repaired run it a a couple miles then drop the engine oil and filter to get any junk out of your engine.

Good luck!

That's my plan. I hope my wife didn't run it that way too long. I know she went on about 3 thirty min rides. I would say easy rides at about 20 mph

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my parts finally arrived. Weather slowed delivery. I removed the valve cover to make sure the screws hadn't fallen in. Anyone know the specs to tighten valve cover screws and also what threat sealer to use? Just blue loctite here also?

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
Well my parts finally arrived. Weather slowed delivery. I removed the valve cover to make sure the screws hadn't fallen in. Anyone know the specs to tighten valve cover screws and also what threat sealer to use? Just blue loctite here also?
Apply lightly, black RTV silicone to the outer edges of the breather reed before installation.
Breather reed bolt torque 20 +/- 5 inch lbs.

Rocker cover bolt torque 84 +/- 8 inch lbs. they have a torque sequence, looking up will post back.

You need to use a good quality degreaser to clean bolts and bolt holes so the Loctite works properly.
Again I would use 243 over 242 if available, 243 already has the primer mixed into it.

Ok having trouble with computer, so here is my attempt for the torque sequence.

[ Breather reed]

PS[3] [1]DS two bolts closest to breather reed

PS[ 6 ] [ 5]DS two bolts in the center.

PS[ 2 ] [4] [ 7]DS Three bolts furthest from breather.

Hopefully this makes sense? Labeled them PS (passenger side) DS (driver side)

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
I have 243 blue and black rtv that I'll use. I am uncertain about your torque sequence. Are they numbered clockwise starting with the one closest to the breather?
The number represents the bolt sequence, I went back and labeled the driver side, passenger side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.