PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time owning a side by side. So picked up a 2012 xp 800 from my boss for $800. I have to jump start it to fire it up but when I take the cables off it sputters and idle gets low and dies. I got code 51 out of it. It ain’t a pretty one but for $800 I’ll take it!
Any help on code 51 would be appreciated. I know I’ll need a new battery but I have to figure out what code 51 is for and what to look for.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes, definitely start with the battery as Rock suggested. The machine doesn't respond well to a bad battery.

51 is an injector code, but may go away with a new batt. Then go to otb powersports and order every replacement wire harness they have. If it doesn't need it now, it will. She looks well used. The 800's had very crappie wire harnesses. It will save you from chasing your tail down the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update! Got a brand new battery. Installed it and it would crank and fire up than quickly die. About the 8th time I cranked it over it finally idled and ran. I was riding around the property for a few minutes. Runs good but at idle it still sputters but doesn’t die now. And check engine light still on for code 51. What’s next guys? I’m glad it’s up and running now but still wanna get that code fixed.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
"What’s next guys? "

Like RJ said earlier................change the TBAP &TPS harnesses to OTB... Check the fuel pressure for 42.....Failure to do so will result in excruciating amounts of.................................. POPAIN.......Lot's of it.......Lot's...

·
Registered
473 Posts
That looks like a replacement harness from Polaris (white wires). Make sure and trace back from that connector and I bet you find butt connectors. Also, pull on the TBAP sensor wires at the connector, they may be broken too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so got a new harness for tps. Unplugged battery for a few minutes. Plugged it back in. Drove for a few minutes than code 652 popped up. Code 51 is gone now. Code 652 is intermittent. I’ll be driving than I lose power and check engine light flashes than I gain the power back. Any suggestions??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
"Ok so got a new harness for tps "

How did you get a new OTB TPS harness is one day ?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad wire on one of the injectors. Also, check that they are properly plugged in. Btw, unplugging and plugging in 'things' while the engine is running is very hard on the ECU and Polaris warns that damage can occur.Always shut it off before pulling one injector wire to see if it is firing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I’ll definitely check for chaffing on the wires. So I can’t unplug the connectors to injectors whole Polaris is running ? How does one test

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
G, did you ever check the fuel pressure ? Low FP can also cause a injector code and 800's LOVE to eat fuel pumps.....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think 2012 models needed 45 psi. In 13 they jumped them to 58.

Time for a new pump. Look for a quantum replacement.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Low fuel pressure will make it run hotter. The 800 always did though. As long as your fan is kicking on around 202- 204 your good. Fuel pressure can be taken at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Its got a black cap on it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts