PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That's going to be a nice shop, and I see the secret to getting good work done setting on one of the stacks of lumber... Cookies! LOL

What kind of treatment do I see on the ends of the post?

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Very nice and I really like the roof color and trim/cupola!!! We have a local Amish community and just had a 14X16 outbuilding delivered this summer. They do really great work.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Richard if you look close you'll notice they are not 6x6 but 3 2x6 sandwiched, the bottoms are treated and staggered fit, most pole buildings are built this way today for strength and lack of straight 6x6's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
That's going to be a nice shop, and I see the secret to getting good work done setting on one of the stacks of lumber... Cookies! LOL

What kind of treatment do I see on the ends of the post?

Nice catch on the cookies. We always try to take really good care of those who come to our house. Yes, these are laminated posts, pressure treated 2x6 on the bottom, untreated on the upper portion. They are perfectly straight, and the 2x6's are fully pressure treated. A 6x6 is hard to treat fully to the center and they all warp and twist.

Today's progress. Time consuming trim and soffit, overhead door headers, window and door framing and installation, tyvek covering, and most of one gable end siding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guess who gets to spend the first night in the building...

image.jpg

Pede, I haven't ruled out placing the pex by any means yet. If I have the extra $600 when concrete comes, I will by all means be putting it in. And, no, it's not big enough.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Ok, I see the treated boards now.... I actually noticed they were laminated in the pic with the cookies, but the bottom being treated lumber didn't register. Went back and clicked on pic to make it bigger and I see it now. I think the cookies were distracting me!:D

The shop is coming along nice too. Shops are never big enough. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Phase 1 complete. The warm up this week really made a mess of things. The plan now is to let the upcoming freeze firm everything up and next Wednesday bring in fill to level things out. After that, overhead doors.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Drilling into it is always a concern but if you lay out your reinforcing wire right and use it for the grid you should be able to pinpoint each run. Rough calculations, 6 runs @ 300ft each is about $600 in tubing. I apologize for seeming pushy but like I said you only got 1 shot, what I really like about mine beside it's the most efficient system for heating large areas is when I bring in the snowmobiles or plow truck after a hard day by the next morning it's thawed and the floor is dry. Anyways you got a great looking shed, but I'll bet it's not big enough....:D
Agree with pede58.
Wish I would have done this. Your going to spend way more for the rigid foam then the pex. Better to do it now than wish you had like me. I'm using a propane fired radiant tube heater which does a good job but nothing like in-floor. I have a buddy that did his cottage including garage with pex. Was excellent for melting snow and being comfortable.

Nice garage by the way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally some photo worthy process. Roughing in wiring and plumbing is boring. I had this week off and the weather was cooperative for the first half of the week.

Floor got leveled.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overhead doors installed.

image.jpg

Ceiling finished.

image.jpg

Back wall insulated and finished. The bottom sheets will have to be pulled back off before concrete.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good to see all the outlets, have you checked out the new led shop lights? very nice but a little pricey. My uncle did his inside with osb and we sprayed with urethane to seal it, ruined my spray gun but looked great. I got lucky when I built my toy addition, was doing dirt work for a hog confinement and they had just finished 1 building when a storm picked it up and set it to the side, not only got the scrap but paid to do it, 42ftx200ft had enough steel to do the inside.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Haven't updated in a while because most things really wouldn't show up without pictures. The wiring is 99% done. 4 more outside boxes to wire up. The main feed isn't there yet but I have a generator plug on the outside of the building so shortly I can have power at any time without running extension cords. All the walls are insulated and covered with OSB. I was going to buy a paint sprayer because it would only cost a few dollars more than renting one but yesterday we got bored and just got curious how long it would take to roll. I had the first of at least 4 five gallon buckets of primer and my dad just went to town. I will probably end up saving myself $400 and just roll it. It went pretty quickly and I'm sure I can get some other family members or friends to come over and help make it go even faster.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
That must be one heck of a pull down ladder.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow! Really nice barn. I wish I had the property to build something that size. That is the stuff dreams are made of!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That must be one heck of a pull down ladder.
Funny you noticed that. I will have an 8 foot wide second floor on that wall so it is the standard ladder size. I actually had to replace that one yesterday. The first one was broken and didn't notice it until after the whole ceiling was done. It wasn't a very pleasant job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow! Really nice barn. I wish I had the property to build something that size. That is the stuff dreams are made of!
I am very fortunate to own 25 acres. Now getting a suitable driveway to it is going to be a bear. The only way back there is along the side of my lawn. I am going to try to do a "green" driveway with concrete block. Something like this.

Driveways Made of Cinder Blocks | eHow

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
boy i wish i was that rich love your barn but i would call it a house
lol T&S

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am very fortunate to own 25 acres. Now getting a suitable driveway to it is going to be a bear. The only way back there is along the side of my lawn. I am going to try to do a "green" driveway with concrete block. Something like this.

Driveways Made of Cinder Blocks | eHow
Looks like a nice solution to a lawn driveway. Should keep you from sinking in and will still give you some green grass on your path.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok. Almost 2 months since an update. It's been a lot of work but taking pictures of paint drying and taking pictures of walls with wire behind them is quite boring for you.

Ceiling and and walls painted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lights up and wired in. I put 5 8' T-8 light strips over each bay (about 6.5 feet apart) and 5 4' T-8 over what will be the second floor. It's plenty bright in there even though the pictures seem dark. I think I got a sun tan the other night. I also installed 4 ceiling fans but the pictures are crappy so you will just have to wait for those.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I pulled off some of the bottom panels so I can run the conduit. I ran 1 3" and 3 2" conduit in there. Hopefully it's overkill.

image.jpg

I don't know where I'm running them to yet so I just have them stubbed up past where the concrete will end.

image.jpg

Next is finishing the drains for the gutters and floor. I have to build a small retaining wall and then concrete (finally)! Hoping for that in the next two weeks or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I happen to be on vacation this week so I have only seen the pictures as well. My dad took a ton but they are only iPad quality so I apologize in advance for the poor quality.

6 inches of stone, 2 inches of insulating styrofoam and plastic vapor barrier. Sorry Pede, no pex. Multiple reasons but in the end, it didn't make sense.

image.jpg

Perfect day for concrete. 65 degrees. 6 inches of 4000 psi fiber reinforced concrete.

image.jpg

The 6 foot apron got a little different mix. It has air bubbles in the mix. Guess it's better for freeze thaw cycles or something. I'm sure someone here can explain it to me better. The apron gets brushed finish and the ritual 2014 penny in the corner.

image.jpg

Inside gets smooth finish.

image.jpg

21 - 40 of 67 Posts