PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new Sp belt and now my 07 700XP with 40hr. has a hard time to put it into High, Low, N and R, need help don't know why it's happening.
Do I need to drive it a bit to brake it in or ? ;-(

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Thats exactly right, in a few hours it will shift better.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt, Thank you very much, I was hoping that I needed to do that, I love this place ;-)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Belt deflection is not right . You need 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" defection in belt.You measure this by putting a straigth edge across top of belt and hold down on belt and measure the gap between belt and straight edge. Put a clamp on secondary clutch so it don't spread apart.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Again Curt is right the new belt will stretch and wear in and it will shift easier.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
al, thank you for re-doing your post ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Alnash, You are correct the belt deflection should be 1 1/8. yes it will shift better once the belt is worn. But until then you are hard on your belt, motor mounts. crankshaft and clutches and your shift linkage. Yes eventually it will get better but until then you are putting undue stress on these components. If your car with automatic transmission shifted this hard you would be concerned right?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dale, So why are a lot of Ranger changing or using the SP belt if it going to do damage to some of the components. No one has posted any problems with the SP change. Do we need to post a "DANGER SIGN" on this item ;-)

·
Registered
212 Posts
cisco kid, since there is a diffrence in belt lengths some people might not have any problems as far as shifting while others might never go away. The most frequent problems would be belt wear and or breakage. Motor mount problems which there are other factors regarding this issue. If you were to run this belt all the time you would have a tendancy to shorten the life of both clutches and crankshaft. Without the proper belt deflection you are putting to much strain on both clutches and crankshafts. If your wondering I have been a certified polaris mechanic/service manager for over 15 years. Call the manufactures and or call the belt manufactures they will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dale, are you stating that all the ranger motors are built diffrent, that is hard to belive that Polaris has maufactred diffrents ones. And if I am going to have problems with it I will put the orinigal back.
It is very hard for me to belive that all of us that have a 07 700XP are going to have the problems that you have posted. If this is the case we need to let all 07 700XP owners know of this problem, that is part of the help in this fourm that it's to help others.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
cisco kid, I had stated the belts are all diffrent not the motors. Yes it is not uncommon to find a 1/4 inch variance in the lengths in all drive belts and fan belts no matter who the manufacture is. With all belts they need some sort of deflection to function properly.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dale, does this apply to the original belt for the ranger, does it come in difrent sizes too?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do I understan this: do all Polaris Belts:
SP Belt part no. 3211091 comes in diffrent lenghts
XP Belt part no. 3211106 comes in diffrent lenghts
-- Belt part no. 3211077 comes in diffrent lenghts

If they do, wow that is a big maufacturing problem when it come to belt driving motors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
cisco kid, All drive belts, from all diffrent manufactures, and diffrent machines will vary in length. This is not uncommon we have been dealing with this issue on drive belts since the 1960s on snowmobiles. The key to it all is having the belt deflection adjusted properly. But if you have been reading on the old forums you would have seen that there is know way to adjust belt deflection on the stock 700 ranger secondary clutch. This is part of the reason the roller secondary clutch works so good, because its adjustable, and has so much tuneability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts